Crystal Palace dairy allergy

wendow

We create happiness.
I read a bad review from someone who had recently went to CP with their dairy allergic dd. That is the only character meal we have planned and we are paying OOP. After reading that review, I am second guessing going there. This person said the chef wouldn't make df Mickey waffles. My df, 4yo ds heard me telling one of my dd's about and he said, "I'm gonna be so sad if I don't get Mickey waffles":sad2: I'll be furious if we spent that much money and the chef only offers my ds a hard-boiled egg, bacon and some fruit.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has gone recently and had a good experience with a chef who is willing to help. Thanks.

I read a bad review from someone who had recently went to CP with their dairy allergic dd. That is the only character meal we have planned and we are paying OOP. After reading that review, I am second guessing going there. This person said the chef wouldn't make df Mickey waffles. My df, 4yo ds heard me telling one of my dd's about and he said, "I'm gonna be so sad if I don't get Mickey waffles":sad2: I'll be furious if we spent that much money and the chef only offers my ds a hard-boiled egg, bacon and some fruit.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has gone recently and had a good experience with a chef who is willing to help. Thanks.

Wev love Crystal Palace and I always figured it was because its premade buffet food. Last time we went, I mentioned to one of the the people staffing the dessert buffet what my sons allergies were ( peanuts and treenuts) and the response was that he needed to avoid the cookies and he should be fine. My kids has blessedly mild allergies but I thought that response was a bit off the cuff, especially given the peanut allergy. I would make sure the reservation indicated the allergy and you told the waiter. If the allergy is severe, I would probably choose table service over buffet style restaurants.

Wev love Crystal Palace and I always figured it was because its premade buffet food. Last time we went, I mentioned to one of the the people staffing the dessert buffet what my sons allergies were ( peanuts and treenuts) and the response was that he needed to avoid the cookies and he should be fine. My kids has blessedly mild allergies but I thought that response was a bit off the cuff, especially given the peanut allergy. I would make sure the reservation indicated the allergy and you told the waiter. If the allergy is severe, I would probably choose table service over buffet style restaurants.

Ugh, good to know. One of my dd's has a severe anaphylactic peanut allergy. You'd think they'd take better precautions with peanuts.

Well, my ds's milk allergy is not anaphylactic but it's still pretty yucky when he gets milk. I did note all allergies on the ADR. I guess I just hoped the chef would be willing to provide something special (like Mickey waffles). I'm really considering cancelling and one of my dd's is in tears about that. I feel awful :(

Crystal Palace carries Vans waffles for allergies. They don't have the space to make allergy mickey waffles back in the kitchen. Make a note on your ADRs and remind the hostess when you check in. When the chef comes out to visit your table, he/she will show you around the buffet and tell you what is safe. If you are uncomfortable with the buffet, the chef can bring fresh food from the kitchen. You may have to ask if the chef doesn't offer it, but they will do it.

I've only read one or two reviews where people were able to get Mickey pancakes or waffles. Most are offered Van's frozen waffles for allergies. If Mickey waffles are important to you at this breakfast then choose a different ADR. You can get Mickey waffles in resort food courts so if it's just a matter of making sure you can get some during your trip then you can get them at a different time and then enjoy the other offerings at this breakfast.

CP is one of those restaurants where it seems as though there is one chef who just doesn't care or take allergies seriously and that all the rest of the chefs are amazing. There are no in between allergy reviews. The reviews are either stellar (most of them) or downright terrible (either given food that is dangerous or refusing to do much). I'd love to give CP another try but I haven't managed to bring myself to do it. We were among those who had a not so good experience but I've read so many amazing reviews and the fact that they have brownies that both of my girls can eat (neither can eat the regular allergy brownies and the only WDW allergy baked goods one of them can eat are Enjoy Life and Babycakes products) makes we want to give it another try. Maybe one of these days I'll do it.

Ugh, good to know. One of my dd's has a severe anaphylactic peanut allergy. You'd think they'd take better precautions with peanuts.

Well, my ds's milk allergy is not anaphylactic but it's still pretty yucky when he gets milk. I did note all allergies on the ADR. I guess I just hoped the chef would be willing to provide something special (like Mickey waffles). I'm really considering cancelling and one of my dd's is in tears about that. I feel awful :(

Disney is the best place we have ever been for ds food allergies. Before you give up on cp I would suggest calling tel:(407)939-3463 (disney dining). I would be Leary about any Buffett with a kid with anaphylaxis. At least with table service, the child's food comes the same way as everybody else's and I think the table service places can be more accommodating based on the Disney website.

We have actually had great experiences with buffets at Disney. They have a lot of ingredients to work with and will make you food in the back.
They seem generally only be doing Mickey waffles at resort locations right now though... but we did get them two weeks ago at tusker house. We have taken DS to CP three times and all were excellent experiences. Dairy is on his list of allergies. If waffles and characters are important, I would look into cape may, 1900 park fare, or chef mickey's.

My experiences have been the same as mistysue. Buffets have been no problem. We just ask the chef to bring safe food from the kitchen so that there are no cross contamination risks. Chefs at buffets have lots of ingredients to work with and can customize dishes to be safe for just about any allergy. Because there is such a broad variety of foods at buffets the chefs at buffets generally have more ingredients to work with and can therefore come up with a lot more options than at a regular TS restaurant. That's not to say that regular TS restaurants aren't good because they're amazing. I'm just saying that buffets really can be great. Note that this is buffets and not family style all you can eat restaurants. These are also good but they have very limited ingredients to work with and therefore options are significantly less.

The folks are Disney Dining will be about as reliable with their allergy info as bus drivers. I wouldn't count on anything they tell you. Special Diets will be more reliable but they're pretty tight lipped and unresponsive. I get a heck of a lot better and timelier info from the peopel on this board and my favourite WDW allergy bloggers.

Thanks everyone for the input. The Mickey waffles are HUGELY important to him. He was made some by the chef last year at The Wave and he was quite impressed. The chef there was great, btw. He eats the Van's all the time here and really, they just aren't all that special. In fact, he'd prefer not to eat them.

We are there in 5 days so getting ressies now for somewhere different is probably out :sad1:

I bet character breakfast ADRs become available the day before. They have cancellation penalties so people who aren't going to make it for their ADRs will cancel the day before.

The disney site is really easy for being able to search character meals based on a time. You might still be able to find something elsewhere.

The restaurants that server Van's waffles for breakfast are Crystal Palace, Cinderella's Royal Table, and Akershus. If it's a character breakfast that you're after then the ones that serve Mickey waffles are Chef Mickey, 'Ohana, 1900 Park Fare, and Cape May Cafe. You'll probably have to be flexible with your times but I bet you can find something if you keep checking.

I bet character breakfast ADRs become available the day before. They have cancellation penalties so people who aren't going to make it for their ADRs will cancel the day before.

The disney site is really easy for being able to search character meals based on a time. You might still be able to find something elsewhere.

The restaurants that server Van's waffles for breakfast are Crystal Palace, Cinderella's Royal Table, and Akershus. If it's a character breakfast that you're after then the ones that serve Mickey waffles are Chef Mickey, 'Ohana, 1900 Park Fare, and Cape May Cafe. You'll probably have to be flexible with your times but I bet you can find something if you keep checking.

Thank you again for the info! I will keep checking :) Who else can make df Mickey waffles besides the character ones you listed and The Wave? We don't mind going back to The Wave, if we can't find a character one that works, but just curious if we have other options.

All value and moderate resort CS locations other than maybe CSR (not sure about them) plus the deluxe resorts that aren't near Epcot should be able to make Mickey waffles.

In addition to the TS locations you listed, you can also get them at Kona, I think Grand Floridian Cafe, probably Boma, Captain's Grille, Kouzzina, probably Olivia's, Trail's End. I don't go to a lot of breafasts and we almost never go to resorts we're not staying at so I don't know a lot about the resort TS breakfasts.

All value and moderate resort CS locations other than maybe CSR (not sure about them) plus the deluxe resorts that aren't near Epcot should be able to make Mickey waffles.

In addition to the TS locations you listed, you can also get them at Kona, I think Grand Floridian Cafe, probably Boma, Captain's Grille, Kouzzina, probably Olivia's, Trail's End. I don't go to a lot of breafasts and we almost never go to resorts we're not staying at so I don't know a lot about the resort TS breakfasts.

So, maybe Contempo Cafe? We tend to not want to go too far either. We'll be at BLT so anything at CR or on the monorail would be fine. Kona chef was great for us last year too so maybe there.

Contempo Cafe can make allergy safe Mickey waffles.

We had a great breakfast at Kona last February. None of us actually ordered waffles though. The chef did offer but we wanted other stuff.

Contempo Cafe can make allergy safe Mickey waffles.

We had a great breakfast at Kona last February. None of us actually ordered waffles though. The chef did offer but we wanted other stuff.

Thanks! I was able to find a ressie at 1900 Park Fare so we have a few options now. I'm just not willing to chance things with CP.

I've had the allergy Mickey waffles at Ohana's and they were wonderful. They were the mini ones and I manged to eat 2 and the ears of the third. I would guess that the waffles at Kona are probably the same mix.

I've had the allergy Mickey waffles at Ohana's and they were wonderful. They were the mini ones and I manged to eat 2 and the ears of the third. I would guess that the waffles at Kona are probably the same mix.

I bet you are right cause our allergy Mickey waffles from The Wave were from Chef Mickeys. The chef at The Wave made a huge deal about how Mickey himself made them for my ds. Really sweet.

I don't think you'll have any problem getting them at the Contempo Café. I'm not sure if they have their own waffle iron and mix or if they grab them from Chef Mickey's. If you can get them there a few times during the trip, maybe having a ok but less special meal at CP will be ok for the sake of his sister. I have an allergic DS so I understand that might be easier said than done.

Well, we ended up switching to 1900 PF for our character breakfast and I have very excited kids again :goodvibes But thanks for mentioning about Contempo. We'll definitely be getting the waffles from there too :thumbsup2 That is the only food from Disney he talks about 1 year later :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter