• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Crying tots!

I was in line for Pirates when a 3 or 4 year old boy started freaking out about going on the ride. He was in front of me where the turnstiles are to go into the queue. He kept stopping dead in front of me-even though his mother was about 10 feet ahead of him and not paying attention to what he was doing. She did not care about him not wanting to go on. She was racing ahead while he protested about not wanting to go. In the meantime he keeps stopping dead in front of me because he doesn't want to get in the line so I have to stop suddenly not to bang into him.

Meanwhile there are 20 other people behind me trying to get into the queue as well. The entrance is staring to bottleneck. The mother finally decided to take notice of her kid. I'm glaring at her because the kid is holding up the line and I don't want to bump into him. Well she goes off on me like there's no tomorrow! Saying how rude I was, etc...This woman and her crying son end up behind me in line. Throughout the whole queue she's going on about it. Her husband is barely listening to her and saying nothing. He was probably embarassed. Unfortunately they get on the boat I'm on and continue to make snide remarks. I'm in one of the front rows and when the boat splashed down the flume this woman is still going on and making snide remarks. The kid asked why they were splashed and she says under her breath, "it is because there is so much weight up front" First of all I'm not fat and second of all her behavior was really rude. I could tell from the tone in her voice. That's the best you can do? Make a fat joke about someone who isn't fat? If I hadn't been in a moving vehicle I would have turned around and said something. She was a total Witch! No wonder the kid had issues. I wouldn't want to get on a ride with her either. God forbid I had bumped into her precious darling. She probably would have punched me and then called security.

I guess I should have stopped this in line but you don't know how people are going to react these days. I should have said "get a grip lady, pay attention to your kid and don't blame others for your kid causing bottlenecks in line!"

Just got back and my 3 year old would not ride a lot of things he used to ride. Sometimes we would get all the way up to the loading area without any problems and then once it was time to load he would say, "no way." So we would turn around and go back out of the line. My husband took my older kids on all of the thrill rides and I was happy to ride Peter Pan and Snow White over and over again.

The MOST crying I saw was late at night waiting for transportation back to the resort. My husband took the 3 year back to the room earlier and I took the older ones on a few more rides. We got to the boat during the parade and had to wait awhile for the boat. Meanwhile the parade let out and all of these families got in line behind us. I have never heard and seen so many crying, miserable kids in my life. The parents didn't look too happy either - hot, sticky holding the kids. I kept thinking... this is the happiest place on earth???

I have talked my son into going onto rides I knew he would love too, not forced just let him know it was ok.

That is the very reason that I never took my kids to WDW until they were old enough to know the difference between fantasy and reality. They were 6 and 8 years old. They still had some they didn't like but they were never afraid of any of them. JMHO!
I will be taking my DS for the 4th time in Sept and he just turned 4 in April. I am so glad I didnt wait until he was 6 or 8, he had the time of his life, and we enjoyed seeing the magic through his eyes.

I would never take my three yo on Pirates or Haunted mansion,
This totally depend on the child, my 3 year old (now 4) isnt afraid of anything, and his favorite 3 rides were Test Track, Haunted Mansion, and POC.

We are going to Disney for the first time this August but I have to share my experience from last summer with my DS then 9 (almost 10).

For my daughter's 13th birthday we took her and her friends to Six Flags in MA. While the girls went off all day by themselves, my son was with me and my husband. We got him on a wooden coaster which I believe may have in fact been his first ever roller coaster ride (don't know how or why but..). Wouldn't you know while he seemed okay on the ride he bumped his chin on the safety bar or something on the last hill so that started the day out with some tears and I think contributed to the upcoming apprehensions which basically caused him to refuse to ride just about everything.

At one point while DH was riding the biggest coaster in the park, I bribed my son with quarters for the nearby arcade onto an indoor ride which I was sure would be a scrambler in the dark thing. He gets off and says yeah it was neat but I don't want to go again and is still refusing just about everything else.

At this point, I'm starting to get really discouraged thinking ahead about Disney.

After my DH joins us again we all start heading through the park again and come across another suspended type rollercoaster. My husband and I both want to ride this time. We convince DS to get in line with us but assure him he can just stand on the platform and wait for us if he doesn't want to go etc. We talk to him while we're waiting etc. We get another boy his age behind us talking to him about the ride since this other kid has already been on etc. He seems fine all the way through the line. In fact we directly asked if he wanted to ride and were assured he was willing to give it a try. They measure him for the ride and he is given the all clear. We head into the back row of seats and start to get in when I look over and my son's bottom lip is going a mile a minute and he can't see to get straped in between the tears welling up in his eyes. I'm a little annoyed but I don't say anything and am prepared to get myself out of the restraints and get off with him but my husband insists he ride at this point while reassuring my son he'll be fine etc. The whole thing actually starts a tense but subtle exchange between me and my husband. DS reluctantly gets strapped in and I'm quietly stewing at my husband and feeling so bad for my son. We get through the ride and we're pulling back into the station and my DH asks DS how he is and gets a thumbs up. However, upon exiting DS says he doesn't want to ride anymore rollercoasters and we agree he will not be made to ride anything else but explain how proud we are that he did this one despite his fears etc etc.

The rest of the day my mind is going a mile a minute trying to figure out how we are going to deal with this kid in Disney be cause he is refusing to ride anything at this point.

My husband comes across the screamer (think TOT without themeing) and wants to ride. DS has no interest and only wants to ride the bumper cars in another part of the park. I agree to take DS while DH does his own ride alone. DS and I get back awhile later and DH hasn't gotten on yet but is in the next group up so DS and I decide to stand by and watch. I'm not really paying attention to DS but rather trying to get DHs attention in line to let him know we are there. All of a sudden something catches the corner of my eye and I turn to find my DS climbing the ride's fence and almost over the top. I of course am shocked and to the question "what are you doing?!" I get the reply as he hits the pavement on the other side "I want to go with dad" I start yelling for my DHs attention so he doesn't head on without DS and praying that no one in the line is going to get upset or nasty about this kid butting in line.

Well they start strapping him in the ride seats right in front of me and I'm giving him thumbs up and trying to keep him encouraged from afar etc. He he takes dad's hand and I'm all excited since this was coming so out of the blue. There is a guy next to me awaiting his party also who points out my DS and asks if he is mine. I say yes and kinda tell him the real abreviated version of the days events and he chuckles and says yeah he looks terrified.

When DS got off the ride you could tell he was all hyped on the realization of what he had accomplished and he was so proud of himself etc.

DS immediately wanted to go back to the batman rollercoaster so we ran across the park to get on etc and waited an hour and a half in line. When DS gets up to get measured the girl (different person from the first time) won't let him on now cause he is a hair and I do mean hair too short! I was sooo mad!!

Anyway he tells me he is looking forward to the TOT and other coasters etc at Disney and plans to ride everything (he definitely makes the height requirements at WDW). I can only hope!!

I agree with you. I think, and I could be wrong, that there is a comfort level associated with places. My Ds2 is afraid of heights, but only if he has never expirienced the place before. For example, we have done gymboree his entire life. I started at 3 months old and he has no fear at all of jumping of the highest slide and crossing on top of the monkey bars there. However, if we go somewhere new..he can be 4-5 inches off the ground and it is too high and scary. I think that is why it is great to take the kids when they are little. Not only do you know ahead of time that you won't be doing many rides, but it gives them a few years to get their comfort level at disney up. This way by 4 or 5 they are riding the "scary" rides that they wouldn't before.

I feel very fortunate that I am able to take my kids once or twice a year to Disney. I expirience the magic and awe when they see the "real" Mickey Mouse 10x's in different locations! I am really looking forward to this trip with them!:)

The same issue applies when parents force their kids to have their pictures taken with various Disney characters. When I was a kid, I was scared to death of people in costume, and I absolutely refused to have my picture taken with Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or anyone resembling a "character" of any kind. I was a shy kid, and I just didn't feel comfortable. But there are so many parents who virtually force their kids to hug or sit on the laps of these costumed characters, all for the benefit of a souvenir picture. Awww, nothing says "My kids love Disney!" like a picture of them crying in terror while in the grip of a large person covered in faux fur and a character head!

Some parents are just really selfish and insensitive these days. And unfortunately, WDW magic just seems to bring out the worst of them! :mad:

Although I've witnessed some pretty amazing behavior in the parks, I try very hard not to be judgemental. Sometimes, though, the behavior is so out of line, I think it's our responsibility to either point it out to a CM or try to do something. For example, if I were in the Dinosaur line with the family with the crying son, depending on the circumstances, I would probably give the unsolicited advice...asking if they were aware that there was a procedure called the parent swap. A lot of people are unaware of the information we, as Disney fanatics, know. If a polite "excuse me, couldn't help but overhearing...there's a parent swap..." can help avert a child's potential trauma, then it's an action I'm willing to take.

We've always tried to respect our children's fears. In the past, they've been scared of costumed characters, including Santa Claus, and we've stayed away. Through observing other children interacting with characters, watching videos, and their own curiosity, they've outgrown that fear and have discovered a new aspect of WDW to enjoy. Our approach to rides is the same...with every trip bringing new surprises as to what will cause fear and what they can't wait to do. However, I can't help but wonder what another guest is thinking when my 3 yr. old DS is dragging his feet, saying "I don't wanna do this ride" when it isn't based in fear but rather because it's his sister's turn to choose the ride and he'd prefer to do his own choice first!;)

I gave up my FPs for TOT cos DD age 7 suddenly got the jitters...
I cant understand parents forcing these type of rides onto their kids:rolleyes: I would rather stand and wait for an hour for the rest of the group than force my scared child onto a ride she is terrified of.....

Not to be rude, but aren't you all being a bit judgemental? I mean, none of you know the circumstances of any of these family situations. Perhaps the child went on it an hour earlier but now for some reason is freaking out. Or maybe the child does not know what is going to happen but once they are on it will love it. I have never been in this situation myself but I have seen other families dealing with this but I am not going to call them horrible parents. And offering unwanted advice because you feel what they are doing is wrong. That is really not your place. I hope I never have a bad day with my child and come across any of you. As a first time parent learning as I go you all may write about what a bad parent I am.

As a former CM, a parent of a timid child, and a child psychologist, I can't help but get in on this one. Of course a hysterical child shouldn't be forcibly dragged onto a ride and no well trained CM would permit it to happen. Children tolerate different things at different developmental stages, even seeming to "regress" when they mature enough to understand the potentially frightening implications of certain rides. That said, I have taken my frightened and resistant child (now aged 12) on rides that I knew he could tolerate and enjoy. He is resistant to all new experiences and I believe he must challenge some of those fears from time to time. Would I put him on a coaster, NO!, I don't even ride them myself And would I impose on other guests by allowing him to pitch a major fit in a line or a show, of course not. But if you see a parent with a balky, possibly even tearful but not hysterical child in line for a relatively tame attraction like Jungle Cruise or Spaceship Earth, it is possible that DS is having one of those broadening experiences that keep him from holing up in his room with a computer for the rest of his days.

Originally posted by Aubrey
That said, I have taken my frightened and resistant child (now aged 12) on rides that I knew he could tolerate and enjoy. He is resistant to all new experiences and I believe he must challenge some of those fears from time to time. Would I put him on a coaster, NO!,

:( Gee Aubrey this almost made me feel worse than when DS started crying as he was getting on the ride (see above post)....LOL

My DS was tall enough for Thunder Mt. Railroad at the tender age of 3. His Dad and I are both thrill seekers and we didn't for a minute think he wouldn't like it. He rode with his Dad while I waited with DD 2 mths old. He came off so scared and not only did not want to ride with me, he didn't even want me to ride it (he was afraid for my safety). We didn't feel like parents of the year to say the least. This was at DLP where the train goes into a dark tunnel at the beginning and end of the ride. I thought most of his fear came from that.

We went back to DLP when DS was 5. He loved Star Tours, the rockets, POC, HM but he chose not to try TMR. We didn't push the issue, thinking he would like it some day. Six months later, we went to Lego Land in the UK. This is the month we moved back to the states so our last chance to experience things there. We had visited the year before as well. They have a Dragon roller coaster there that is fast but no dark or loops. It goes through a "castle" first where you view all sorts of neat things made from Lego. I knew my son would love it. He had chosen not to ride the year before but I was hoping he would give it a go this last time. He got in line with us and was going to ride with me. He started to get too afraid once we were in the coaster, threw a bit of a fit, so we got off. I'm sure everyone thought I was a horrible parent trying to get him to ride.

Two months later we visited WDW were he decided to ride not only TMR but Splash mt and Space mt. I didn't think he would try Space mt for years because it is in the dark. He LOVED it and rode it over and over proclaiming it his fav. He also wished aloud that he had riden the Dragon coaster because now he realized that he would have liked it.

I think he was afraid to try coasters because of his scary/too young experience when he was 3. He may have been eager and ready for coasters at 5 but still had that scary thought of them in the back of his mind.

Both of my kids were afraid of Santa until 3 years old (then they loved him, lol), but both loved Mickey/Minnie mouse as young as a year old. Didn't try the other characters that young. No pictures with Santa those first few years but have some great ones with the Mouse!

HvnzCaress, don't feel bad, you know what's right for your own child. I wouldn't put mine on a coaster because I hate coasters and expect he would too. (I actually fell out of an old-fashioned wooden coaster at a county fair 35 years ago but that's a different story!! :rolleyes: Needless to say, there's a reason for those newfangled automatic safety bars!!! LOL)
My point is only that sometimes a parent makes a choice to co-erce a child onto a ride for reasons other than selfishness. I don't EVER advise ignoring a child's hysterical panic but a few quiet tears are sometimes an expression of an anxiety that should be challenged instead of validated. And before anyone flames me, I am not talking about rough rides like Space Mountain or even emotionally loaded ones like Haunted Mansion.

If you as a parent have a rational and child-centered reason for taking your child on a ride that they are resisting and the child is not seriously disrupting bystanders or in absolute frantic panic, then this is a parent's judgment call. I'm sure a few other guests in our line thought some harsh thoughts about me when they saw me insist that DS remain with me in line for Spaceship Earth even though he was teary and unhappy and saying he felt ill. I don't know if they saw him walk out of the ride with his head high and just a little more confidence that he had going in, even if he didn't want to ride it again right away. It ended up being his favorite ride because it looks so impressive from the outside and he felt such accomplishment from having done it.

And before anyone thinks I'm saying I'm any better a parent than anyone else, I'll admit I miscalculated when I forced him onto Indiana Jones. That was a serious error because I hadn't pre-ridden it and he was very upset afterwards. Even well-meaning parents are just plain wrong sometimes.

I know everyone thought we were being horrible to 5 DD as we got onto test track. In fact the CM made DH get off with her. However she wasn't crying because she didn't want to ride. She was crying because she wanted to sit by my 9 DNi who promissed to sit next to her and then changed her mind. Well DNi got her way and DH had to drag DD off kicking and screaming because the CM wouldn't start the ride with DD on it. DD had a fit the entire time we were gone. We we got back and DH went to get on DD was hysterical because she wanted to ride. Still the CM's wouldn't let her on because she was crying. We finally got it through to the CM that she wanted her cousin next to her. They let DNi ride with DH and DD. DD loved the ride. I can't say I blame the CM for asking DH to get off with DD because I know how DD's behavior looked.

I think Aubrey has made some excelent points. There is a very big difference between forcing a screaming child onto a ride they are very much afraid of and strongly encouraging and even insisting that a child try new experences. I too have one of those kids that gets very worried over new things. If he had his way he would have never gone to school, played a ball game, gone to a camp or ridden any ride. I have often just said, We are going to try this ride just once. If you don't like it, you don't ever have to try it again. Most of the times he will agree. I do admit I have offered him a mickey bar a few times to try something(read TOT). He has never had a problem on a ride. If I thought he was really scared, and not just scared of the unknown, I would never make him go. I think the big thing is to know you own children, and know what is best for then and yes, to even try not to be judgmental to other parents that choose to do things different from the way we might. Most parents do want what is best for their kids.

Jordan's mom

We have encouraged our children when we know they will like it but never forced them if they cried or said no! We actually stood at an exit once so DD could see peoples reactions. She also watched Primeval whirl before begging to go!
The bottom line is if your child is crying and screaming before you get on a ride or in an attraction, and continues to cry during the attraction AND it has an exit...TAKE IT!! ;) The boy at the Muppets 3-D never took his sobbing head off his mother's shoulder:( .

Aubrey honestly I didn't take your post at all personally.

In fact, I fully agree with you on many if not all of your points. I admit my husband's gentle insistance that he go was the right thing to do. He had been able to stand in line for nearly an hour and see it in operation. He had assured us he wanted to go before hand. He was nowhere near hysterical just gentle tears of apprehension.

As I said earlier, by the end of the day he had a new sense of self accomplisment. I think it also helped to steer him into new things later in the day knowing that he had an agreement from mom and dad in his pocket that he had set forth his effort of the day and no more would be "required" of him.

My children have grown up to understand that mom and dad will go out of there way to do things they want to do even if we don't want to. What we require in return is patience and tolerence from them when we want to do something they may not want to do. If they don't wish to participate they can wait it out patiently nearby.

As for parents making honest to goodness mistakes, its in inevitable!!! I called my mom about two weeks after my daughter was born and insisted that she had to be foreign produced cause their were no instructions in the packaging!!!

I agree with some of what is said. Good points by everyone. And if the child continues to cry throughout yes leave for their sake. But if the child is crying on line or pushing not to go that is a different story because although the crying may be hysterical when they get on it can be a totally different story. I just think the harsh judgements and criticism is a bit much.

Originally posted by tiggerzpalz
And offering unwanted advice because you feel what they are doing is wrong. That is really not your place. I hope I never have a bad day with my child and come across any of you. As a first time parent learning as I go you all may write about what a bad parent I am.

I don't know if you are referencing my post. Perhaps my term of unsolicited advice is a little off. The family in the Dinosaur line that one of the posters spoke of was what I was referencing. I would never dream of telling someone what to do. But given the description of that particular situation, I don't think it's out of line to make a parent aware that there's another option available, i.e. the parent swap.

Congrats on being a first time parent! I refer to parenthood as a humbling experience!!!;) ;)

Over Memorial Day Week I actually heard a mom coercing her young child to go on ToT by telling him it was a "bouncy ride." What was up with that? If I were that kid I would have cried before going on every new ride after that. If you can't trust your mom who can you trust?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter