crutches

smileyk8

DIS Veteran
Hi there, i need a bit of help!

I broke my foot 3 years ago and it's never recovered properly but was ok. Then last week at my ball (i know!) a drunken friend tripped me up and i reinjured it. I'm still on crutches but aiming not to use them from tomorrow. I'm desperate not to take them with me but perhaps this is too much of a risk.

I know i can go much faster with crutches, but wanted to know how people have got on with them in parks. The major advantage is that ppl will keep away from me but my parents are mad at me for injuring it in the first place so if i can convince them i can survive without them it'll cause so many less arguments. What do you think? :confused3

Welcome to disABILTIES!

It is probably a good idea to bring your crutches along. Hopefully you will be able to leave them in your room, but if you need them they will be available (think of insurance).

If you are 18 or older, and find you will be needing them, it might be a good idea to rent an ECV (or a wheelchair for any age). This way you will be able to be off your feet. Don't forget that once around the World Showcase Lagoon is over 1.25 miles and can get extremely painfulllll/wearing on crutches.

Ok, new problem! :furious: My dad's freaking out about flying with the crutches and being asked if i'm fit to fly. I don't have any sort of certificate or letter saying it's ok and will not be able to get one before the flight (virgin). Has anyone flown recently with crutches? What's the typical response? I'm going to try not to use them at the airport so they should realise it's nothing serious.

Why not just call the airline and ask. First call the main number and then ask for the "special services desk" which is something most airlines have. I realize that VA is a British company and technically not subject to the ADA, but most major (and enlightened) companies worldwide accept the requirements of ADA as a standard. It may possibly apply to them as they are flying to and accepting passengers in the US.

There will be no problem with you flying with crutches. They will probably have to store them for you in the coat closet, but being on crutches is certainly not a reason to deny boarding.

Generally people who are deemed no "fit to fly" are those with a communicable disease, open undressed wounds, late term pregnancy, uncontrolled diabetes, needing oxygen and not setting things up properly in advance, etc.

I would suggest you take some ibuprofen beginning a day or two prior to flying to reduce swelling, as air pressure changes could worsen that issue.

Anne

There is no restriction on flying with crutches.

As a PT and someone who has trained many people to use crutches, I would suggest trying to rent or buy lofstrand (forearm crutches).

They are much more comfortable and it is easier to maneuver them in a crowd. I've never understood why they are not used much in the US.

If you don't know what they look like, just do a search on google and you will get tons of hits :)

:thanks:
for your posts. Stanncie, i find your post the most reassuring as a PT. Actually i usually have those crutches when i hurt my foot- they're the most common over here, but currently i have the big wooden ones. At first they bruised my arms but i think i had the wrong technique as they're much better now.

I don't think i'll use them unless someone stands on me or something. It's more for reassurance. Hopefully these replies will calm my family! :cheer2:

Hey all. Just wanted to thank you all for your advice. We ended up just taping my wooden ones together and putting them in the hold. You were right, absolutely no questions asked. I haven't used them yet which i'm so pleased about. Short theme park visits are ideal and luckily my family are still sleepy so they can't last a whole day anyway! :rotfl:

if you are staying onsite at any WDW resort - go ask the luggage service/bell services/front desk for a free wheelchair...

you have to sign for it - but if you return it - no charge!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter