• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruising with Special needs kid?

Sarasein

Mouseketeer
My youngest has CP and wears AFO's. I am assuming there is no issues with them, but wanted to check. She should have them on any time she is in shoes. Would there be any issues in the club? She will turn 5 two weeks before we go. Does any one have experience with kids in AFOs and cruising?

Also, what about eye patches? She currently has to wear one for 90 min a day. Hear at home, I put it on and we go. I tell her when she can take it off. If she needs to wear it to the club, can they tell her to take it off when it is time? So, I would tell them what time and they would just have to tell her it was ok. She knows how to pull it off and throw it away.

I found this post on another thread talking about a special needs child and thought I'd repost it here for you.

From the Disney Cruise Line site :
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/guests-with-disabilities/
Youth Activities are open to children ages 3-17 that are fully potty trained, able to interact comfortably within our counselor-to-child ratio groups and with peers of their own physical size. Teen and tween activities are also available in separate areas away from younger children.
Parents may make a request with the Youth Activities team onboard to have a child with disabilities partake in modified participation for a limited time period during the cruise. Our ability to fulfill the request will depend upon the child's needs, the availability of counselors, program participation and other applicable considerations. Disney Cruise Line cannot guarantee that all special requests will be accommodated.

You would definately need to talk with the couselors on board to see if your needs could be accomodated.

Thank you. She is fully potty trained and used to going to our Church Nursery. She is only physically delayed. She should be able to go to the activities. Plus her sisters will be there, also, to help.

Not sure about the orthotics, but I can't imagine they'd be any kind of problem. As far as the eye patch (my dd wore one also), it might depend on which counselors there are, how many kids there are and how busy things get, etc. What about getting her a little digital Disney watch with an alarm and set it for her so she knows when to take the eye patch off? Or alternatively have one of her sisters wear it? That way you don't have to worry about a busy CM remembering. I've seen them at Walmart and Target over the years, sometimes Amazon has them as well for around $12. Just a thought!

What about getting her a little digital Disney watch with an alarm and set it for her so she knows when to take the eye patch off? Or alternatively have one of her sisters wear it?
That is a great idea. I know my oldest would be happy to help her.

Sounds similar to one of my daughters. Mine has CP, wears orthotic on one foot, and we have to patch her eye (of course mine takes her patch off WAY too soon so we have to now chemically patch it with ointment). Our daughter also uses a walker to help her get around. Problem is that she isn't potty trained (prob won't be for a number of years). She has other hormone issues which cause her to seldom soil her diaper, but unfortunately she won't be able to enjoy the club with her twin sister.

Bumping thread so that my Sister-in-law who is new to the dis and looking for information on traveling with my niece can easily find this thread.

My youngest has CP and wears AFO's. I am assuming there is no issues with them, but wanted to check. She should have them on any time she is in shoes. Would there be any issues in the club? She will turn 5 two weeks before we go. Does any one have experience with kids in AFOs and cruising?

Also, what about eye patches? She currently has to wear one for 90 min a day. Hear at home, I put it on and we go. I tell her when she can take it off. If she needs to wear it to the club, can they tell her to take it off when it is time? So, I would tell them what time and they would just have to tell her it was ok. She knows how to pull it off and throw it away.

When we patched we could do it any time of day. So in Disney we did it the second she woke up so it was on while we were in the room and eating breakfast. By the time we got to Main Street it was time to take it off. 90 minutes isn't very long. I would do it at another time of the day especially if you have some down time. DD was not self conscious about it but I couldn't believe some of the comments people made. :confused3 I would do it when she is with you so you can field questions if necessary.

AFOs were not an issue for us with our daughter. If your child had to wear an eye patch in the kids club you could always give them a special watch to wear and set a timer or an alarm. Then tell your child when the alarm goes off it is time to remove the patch. We have to chemically patch our daughter - she removes the regular patch as soon as we put it on - too many sensory issues.:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter