Cruising with a toddler...Oh, My! ...August 6, 2009, Wonder...

zachnsamsmommy

Evil Diva
I can't believe we are already back...and it is time for our TR...

Let me preface this by saying my family thought we were nuts for going on a trip with a toddler...a special needs toddler, at that. Sam is two, but he is almost a year behind in most areas. He doesn't walk or crawl yet, and his speech is also delayed. He has some severe sensory issues, and is very shy. We weren't really sure how this vacation would turn out, but older DS had been bugging us about going for quite some time.

We started our trip with a very looooong drive from Tennessee with our two boys. We did break it up so they wouldn't be so tired on embarkation day.

Arriving at port...

We had been told to arrive somewhat early (10:30-11:30) so that we would have more time on the ship. This worked out pretty well for us. There were no lines yet for the x-ray machines, or for actually checking in. And I was very excited to get our Castaway Club lanyards! DH Chris parked the car (he had his DL), and I checked us all in with our passports. By the time he was inside, we were already checked in and in line to get our pictures made with Mickey in front of the model of the Wonder.

boyswithmickey.jpg

Just the boys in this photo...I haven't lost enough weight yet to be in too many pictures :lmao:. Sam did amazingly well...he wasn't scared of Mickey! We were hoping this was a sign of positive things to come!

We were on the ship and in Parrot Cay by 12:45pm. We had never gotten on the ship in that good of time before.

Coming up...the dreaded safety drill and dinner woes!

Can't wait to hear more. We are travelling with 4 toddlers (3 families) on are 1st cruise, for all of us. Any help with travelling with young ones is greatly appreciated.

Part 2...the dreaded safety drill and dinner woes...

I was very concerned about the lifeboat/safety drill. The idea of putting a lifevest on my 2 yr old was awful. I looked at the lifevest, and it had arms on it and a thick strap that goes around the crotch. We decided to just take it with us to the drill (we were wearing our vests) and let the CMs help us get it on when we got there.

Well...

DSC_2606.jpg

he didn't have to wear it!!! Yay! The CMs were really wonderful about it. They asked us if we had questions about how we would put it on (in an emergency), and if we had other questions. They even let us leave a min or two before everyone else since DH was having to carry him. DS Zach found the drill mildly amusing...as evidenced by the photo :lmao:

DSC_2607.jpg

The sailaway party was very nice, but DH and I split up during it. DS Zach wanted to watch the party, DS Sam was sleepy, so we went to the stateroom early for him to get a nap.

And then there was dinner :eek: ...

Well...here comes the not-so-great twist to our cruise. Now...this was my 4th cruise, 2nd Disney...and I never get seasick. Well...about an hour before our late seating, I noticed my ears were kind of stopped up and I had a bit of a headache. I don't know if I was getting a migraine (b/c smells were bothering me) or a bit of vertigo/sea sickness from my ears being stopped up. We arrived at Animator's Palate and I thought I was going to be sick instantly. I immediately left and went to the service desk for some meclizine, and went back to Animator's. I felt decent enough for a picture, but then the ship rocked a bit (we were avoiding some t-storms) and I had to leave once again. I went back to our stateroom (inside) to lay down.

animatorsdinner.jpg

Despite this, our servers were AWESOME! They sent someone with my DH after he had eaten (whose hands were full carrying Sam and a diaper bag) to bring me a fresh plate of what I had ordered.

I finally felt better at bedtime, but was a little sad that I missed dinner and things afterwards.

Coming up...Nassau and Flounder's Reef nursery...and some pleasant surprises!

Good so far....looking forward to the rest.

I got a little sea sick too. I thought it was just rougher water from the port to the bahamas. I did much better on other ships.

Part 3...Nassau, Flounders, and fun...

I still wasn't 100 percent the next morning, but I was better. We decided to skip out on Nassau since we had been twice before. I didn't see any possible enjoyment in taking a 2 year old to the straw market or Atlantis :lmao: .

So...we took full advantage of the much less crowded pools and splash pad. Zach went down the slide at least 50 times, and Sam was having lots of fun just watching him. We did want to try him at the splash pad, but he has a big water aversion (sensory issues)...and our first try was an awful, screaming fit. Then it was the Flounder's Nursery staff to the rescue!

Sam at a table next to the pool and splash pad.

samondeck.jpg

Zach on the slide...
zachgoofyslide.jpg

One of the nursery workers came to the splash pad with a big container of pool toys, cars, and blocks. Sam is a die hard car fan, and it didn't take long for him to become interested. He protested a little in the water, and then became obsessed enough with the toys to not even notice. We quickly started falling in love with the CMs at Flounder's :love: .

Sam with a Flounder's CM at the splash pad...
mickeysplashzone02.jpg

Again it became that time of day (after a quickie meal from Pluto's Doghouse) to take Sam up to the room for a nap. We both slept for about an hour...it was nice. I totally recommend the inside stateroom with a toddler b/c it is nice and dark for naptime...he napped really well!

DH took Zach to see "G-force" in 3-D at the Walt Disney Theater...it was some sort of special showing that day. They loved the movie!

We originally had Palo reservations for that evening, but I cancelled them since I wasn't sure I'd get my money's worth after how I felt the night before, but we still kept our ressies for Flounder's Nursery for Sam. He was supposed to be there from 5:30 until 8:00. Now this is a child that has never done well in a nursery or for a babysitter (family included). We were sure we'd be paged in 30 minutes or less. Guess what? No pages!

This is what we came back to!

samstitchnursery.jpg

Sam had been giving 'high fives' to Stitch right before I got there, and I took this pic right before we left. He had a blast, and even waved bye to the staff (and Stitch) when we left! It totally made my day!

While Sam was in the nursery, and Zach was at the kid's club...we decided to head to Nassau for all of 15 mins just to take some tourist-y photos. Just to show the fam that we did actually go to Nassau :lmao: .

Tourist-y photo of DH in front of the "Welcome to Nassau" sign, lol.

chrisnassau.jpg

We then decided to get just a few family pics and lifestyle photos before dinner. That was an adventure!

We wanted to do the Captain Hook pics, but Sam really didn't understand the 'holding the sword' part. It took quite a few tries to get one that would work. Not a challenge for Zach, though.

samcapthook.jpg

zachcapthook.jpg

And I was really impressed with the family picture. Somehow I didn't look as 'pooh sized' as I do in real life. Can I bring the DCL photographers back home with me?

famcruisepic-1.jpg

Then we finally got to enjoy a meal together...well, together, minus one 8 yr old who liked the Oceaneer's lab. We had Parrot Cay, and it was very good!

My brain isn't working...so I'll stop here for now...

Coming up...Castaway Cay and scary Capt Jack!

I want to applaud you for taking your boys on the cruise. You are a wonderful mom for braving it!!!! SO wonderful!:littleangel:
I'll be watching this thread very closely. We have a toddler that is very similar to yours in many, many ways. All but the walking. :hug::hug::hug:

EDIT!
You posted in between me starting my past and saving it. What a DARLING family!!! OMG! your boys are DEAR!!!!! And little Sam! I could just squish him! He so darned CUTE!!!!!!!! Look at that face! AHHH! GREAT GREAT thread!

I'm glad I found your TR! Our 2nd DS will be 2 yrs old for our cruise & I have been trying to find reports w/toddlers. You are making me feel better about using Flounders.

Part 4...Castaway Cay and Scary Capt Jack!!!

Well, Day 3 was our day in Castaway Cay. We had noticed the night before that pics with Captain Jack Sparrow and the Flying Dutchman would be at 9:30 and 10:15, so our goal was to be on the island at 9:25-ish to be first in line. We also thought it might be a little less crowded and hot in the morning than the afternoon (which it was btw).

We ate at the buffet quickly (and lost one sippy cup on the way), and headed out. We got to the picture spot right at 9:30, and no photographer or Capt Jack to be found. Apparently, Capt Jack is in character all.the.time and was fashionably late, lol. I strongly suggest getting your pic made with him if you can b/c he is sooo much like Johnny Depp as Capt Jack in looks and mannerisms. Zach thought it was neat...Sam was scared. I wanted the pic before he got too scared...and this is what we got...

zachsamwithcaptjack.jpg

The picture doesn't do justice to how much he was like Johnny Depp!

I also highly recommend getting a picture of the Wonder next to the Flying Dutchman. Mine turned out almost as good as the one they sell at Shutters!

wonderpirateship.jpg

We proceeded to the beach by 9:45, and had our choice of spots with umbrellas, and even hammocks. It was very nice...but very hot...already almost 90!

Now here is where I throw in a suggestion...

Either put sunscreen on your toddler/baby's face before you get off the boat, or make sure it is greaseless kind that won't burn your eyes. Sam rubbed his eyes b/c the sun was so bright, and it kinda went downhill from there.

DSC_2655.jpg

He did recover somewhat, but we should have put sunscreen on much earlier! DH and Zach spent a bit of time in the water, and Sam and I played under the umbrella in the sand. We bought the $18 sand toy assortment bag b/c I left ours sitting on the kitchen table in the process of packing. But if you have more than one kid, it isn't too bad a deal b/c it has LOTS of pieces. DH, Zach, and Sam all used it to build sandcastles.

chriszachsamCC.jpg

We ate lunch at Cookies...which was absolutely de-lish! I love the ribs! Sam was getting really sleepy at this point. Well, who am I kidding...he fell asleep in the high chair at the dining pavillion on CC. So Sam and I headed back to the ship for his nap while DH and Zach stayed a couple more hours.

When Sam finished his nap (while I got a much needed shower), we headed back to CC to mail some postcards at the little PO there. Make sure you have cash...the Bahamian stamps are 50 cents each! And they will take quite a while to get home, but have a nice CC postmark on them!

Zach and Chris got back from CC, and got cleaned up to take Zach to the kids club. They were doing their preparations for the "Friendship Rocks" show that both the clubs do for the parents. The show was at 5:00 in the Walt Disney Theater. It was nice, but I still liked the Disney Sea University program they used to do better. The kids do a little dance as they come on stage (by age group), with a little intro by Mickey and Minnie. Then they show a video of the things the kids did in the club during the cruise.

friendshiprocks01.jpg

We then went to dinner at Tritons...the first time the whole cruise it was all 4 of us! Zach didn't go to the club for once! :lmao:

We gave all our servers our tips and our thanks, then tried to enjoy the ship as much as possible the last evening. And from looking at the pics, I obviously spent waaaay too much at Shutters that night :lmao:.

Coming up...final preparations for debarkation and Sunday morning...

Can I ask which diningroom Sam preferred IF any? :goodvibes

Can I ask which diningroom Sam preferred IF any? :goodvibes

I would probably guess it was Animator's Palate. He seemed to be quite interested in the walls changing colors. A close second would be Parrot Cay, but that was Pirate Night, and there was a show. So that entertained him as well.

There were crayons on the table, and he is just now starting to color, so that helped. I would suggest for a toddler some snacks from home as well. We brought some Gerber Yogurt Melts and some goldfish crackers. The servers were quick to bring out his food, but he thinks 'eat' immediately when he is in the highchair (or booster). The snacks were good at 'tiding him over' until the food came.

Oh, and don't worry about your toddler being loud or crying. There are so many kids and ambient noise that nobody pays any attention.

What a great trip report. Our DD will be 7 months when we cruise so it is good to hear how good Flounder's Reef is. I am not sure about leaving her but we have booked our time with high hopes!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter