Cruising with a six month old - should I bring a stroller?

Mom2Finn

Mouseketeer
Hi! In May we are going on our first cruise and will be bring our six month old. Should I bring a stroller? We are not doing any excursions but I didn't know if people used them around the ship. Thanks!

I vote yes. Brought my nephew Judah on a Disney cruise at 6 and 18 months. At 6 months brought stroller. Easier for him to eat and sleep in (including on causeway cay). Found the decks very easy to push him around.

Absolutely! A light umbrella-type stroller works fine. (We use our Maclaren and just gate-check it in a golf bag.)

It's nice to have as a clean and safe place to put the baby if you need two hands for something. Also, it's a nice familiar spot for the baby to snuggle up and snooze while you stroll around the ship.

yes!!!! We brought a Maclaran and it was great even walked the track with itfor.

Another vote for a small umbrella type stroller. If you find that you want a big one for anything, you can borrow one from Guest Services

A small one will work in the halls, elevators, etc. and will store in your room. A big one is a pain. (for you, stateroom host, and other guests!)

I'm one of those moms that has read every book from conception (What to Expect type books) to every age applicable. I heeded advice from just about everyone. One problem with all this... my daughter is a non-conformist. Ask me if I should've bought (or brought to any Disney adventure) about 90% of the items I have for her and the answer is NO! She's never been one for strollers, preferred a child body carrier from the rip. She never sleeps in public (so the idea of napping in the stroller was out). In a nutshell, what I'm trying to say is consider your child's preferences and whatever it'll take to make YOUR life easier. There was only one problem with using a stroller with another child... it was ALWAYS in the way in the room, folded or not, but it was a Peg-Perego fold up- a bit bigger than an umbrella. It was hard to maneuver in the food lines (but KUDOS to staff for ALWAYS helping with the tray) and in the way during buffet meals in the seating areas. Like I stated, this was due, partly to size, partly to how much we really "needed" it for our 8 month old. If you have help to carry the child, think about forgoing the stroller. Heed the advice of the multitude here, as my opinion was just my own experience.

Our grandson hated his stroller,so no, the family didn't bother. For a "normal" child I'd say yes, because it would also be helpful going through the airports.

Very helpful thread as I am traveling with a one year old in October. Thanks for sharing guys! :goodvibes

We traveled last week with our 4 month old and he was in his stroller most of the trip. I would highly recommend you take one. Make sure you have one that folds small and isn't too wide. We have an Inglesina Zippy and it was almost too wide for the doorways but it stands up when folded which was nice since it was so tight in our room with the pack and play. Fortunately we had 2 rooms so we watched TV and sat on the couch in the connecting room and just left the play pin open for naps all day. Another thing is you'll want to make sure that the stroller you use reclines for naps if you plan on having them sleep in the stroller. We have another umbrella but it doesn't recline hardly at all so we almost always take our Inglesina Zippy as it has a full recline.

The only time we didn't take the stroller with us was for shows. You'll also have problems in the shops and navigating the dining room if your table is near the center of the restaurant. Fortunately our tables were usually right off of a main aisle way. Also for the elevators you'll want to utilize the aft elevators mostly because the mid ship elevators on the classic ships are pretty busy and it is difficult to find an empty elevator.

YES! We have brought our double Maclaren and our single Chicco which were perfect. DS was/is an early riser and we often did sunrise laps :scared1: We have also brought it out at ports when just walking around.

How do you normally get around stores, walks, etc?

We didn't use a stroller except in very rare circumstances until either of my kids were over 1 years old unless it was the jogging stroller for long walks or if I was running and couldn't leave the girls with my husband. I always used a soft carrier for my girls and did so on the cruise with my 10 month old. In my opinion there were definate advantages to this. You don't have to wait for the elevators you can take the stairs. It is easier to navigate the narrow hallways. The baby is close to you and also higher up so they can see what is going on.

I'd say yes for a couple of reasons (and bring the regular sized one, not the umbrella one):

1) doubles as a luggage carrier when getting through the airport if need be
2) for early morning disembarkation when the kid is asleep

They fit in the closet, even a double stroller fits pretty well. We still bring one and our younger two are 5 and 3 years old.

As others have said, an umbrella stroller is a great thing to bring. The bigger strollers are just plain foolish for a variety of reasons, and will bring frustration.

I didn't have a forum like this when my children were young, and on our first cross-country trip with a baby we brought a full-size stroller. It was damaged both by baggage handlers and by me trying to fit it and luggage into the rental car. It took up way too much room in the trunk, but the car seat snapped into it and that's what matters, right?

On our second cross-country trip we used an umbrella stroller. We didn't have to collapse it in the Jetway at the airport or wait for it to be returned and unfold it in the Jetway at the destination airport. It conveniently fit in the overhead bin even with a couple suitcases already there. It took up so little room that we brought it in the car, and that cheap ($10) stroller didn't get damaged at all on that first trip. I did damage it on our second trip, but so what - it was only $10!

Im going to say ditch the stroller. If you MUST have one, stick with a cheap umbrella stroller. For this age, I would seriously consider a Kelty Kids backpack carrier. So much easier to travel through airports with it.

I will agree with many of the PP, of your child is used to a stroller for excursions, and is happy in a stroller, bring it.

DD was 5 months on her 1st cruise and the stroller was a lifesaver. She wouldn't nap in the pack n play, so we did lots of walks around the ship to get her to sleep. She was sitting up on her own, but didn't do well for a whole dinner and the highchair didn't have a full back so having the stroller in the dining room was a must. An uncomfortable child is an unhappy fussy child. We didn't want that. The stroller just went where her seat would have been.

Also, we carried her on and off the ship and used the stroller for our "stuff".

Thank you for the advice everyone! We actually just bought our first stroller today, my son never used one and neither has this baby (we usually just wear them in soft carriers) but we're going to Disney in September and thought we would want one for that trip for sure. I will try her out in it the next few weeks and see how she likes it. I agree, if she naps in it that would be great. Thanks again!

Thank you for the advice everyone! We actually just bought our first stroller today, my son never used one and neither has this baby (we usually just wear them in soft carriers) but we're going to Disney in September and thought we would want one for that trip for sure. I will try her out in it the next few weeks and see how she likes it. I agree, if she naps in it that would be great. Thanks again!

I was just going to suggest that! We're cruising in May also with our 4 YO, 3 YO and 1 YO. We're bringing an umbrella stroller and our Ergo carrier...I'm thinking the stroller we'll use for sure (as the little one is getting heavy in the Ergo!), but in case two kids need to be "carried", then we'll have options! Happy cruising!:thumbsup2

For us a stroller was 1000% necessary. DD was 9 months when we were on the Dream. She was a terrible napper and the only place she would nap was the stroller. We brought a Combi stroller, which is nice bc it is compact like an umbrella stroller, but it reclines (another must for our DD).

We also brought our Ergo, another life saver. DD always liked being worn but was no longer napping in it.

I didn't read the whole thread, but we travelled with DS as a 4mo and a 1 year old. At 4mo we brought our umbrella-ish stroller (it is a bigger one that he could sit in comfortably being so little still!)

At 1 yo we rented from GS (because my DH somehow forgot to pack the stroller in the car when we left for the airport :-/!!). It actually worked out really well. The stroller folded up well underneath the bed when not in use.

I also brought our Ergo and ring sling to use when we didn't take the stroller. Used them on both trips.

GL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter