• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruising with 18 year old with Learner's Permit?

degrapevine

Has a serious Disney watch addiction!
Hey, all ...

We are cruising in June on a 7 Night Western with our kids, which now includes an 18 year old who only has his Learner's Permit. He is a perfect 4.0, straight A kid who has taken driver's ed but still doesn't want to drive and doesn't have his actual license. I know that 18 year olds and up need photo ID's to cruise and wasn't sure if his Learner's Permit would be good enough. On passport app's, they specificially say that Learner's Permits do not qualify as a valid form of ID (DH just went to get his passport for our Med cruise next year and noticed it on the app).

So, my question is - Has anyone cruised with an 18 year old (or anyone older, I guess) who only had a Learner's Permit for photo ID and if so, what was your experience? I'm sure there are plenty of adults who don't have driver's licenses, so I'm wondering what you might use instead if a Learner's Permit isn't legal.

TIA!

Hey, all ...

We are cruising in June on a 7 Night Western with our kids, which now includes an 18 year old who only has his Learner's Permit. He is a perfect 4.0, straight A kid who has taken driver's ed but still doesn't want to drive and doesn't have his actual license. I know that 18 year olds and up need photo ID's to cruise and wasn't sure if his Learner's Permit would be good enough. On passport app's, they specificially say that Learner's Permits do not qualify as a valid form of ID (DH just went to get his passport for our Med cruise next year and noticed it on the app).

So, my question is - Has anyone cruised with an 18 year old (or anyone older, I guess) who only had a Learner's Permit for photo ID and if so, what was your experience? I'm sure there are plenty of adults who don't have driver's licenses, so I'm wondering what you might use instead if a Learner's Permit isn't legal.

TIA!

Your son can get an ID from the DMV which would be a government issued ID. Visit this website http://www.dmv.org/id-cards.php
I hope this helps. :goodvibes

Hey, all ...

TIA!

Anyone 16 and over without a passport book, must have a certified birth certificate and a government issued photo ID. Have you looked into just getting a state ID card?

Most learners permits are just a paper photocopy of the information used for the licences, including the photo on it. I'm not sure if that would work. Is his permit an ID sort of card, like a license? Or just the paper photocopy?

In FL, Learner's Permits look exactly like Driver's Licenses, except they are clearly labeled as such. Hard plastic, laminated, with photo. We've cruised many times with just birth certificates for this kids and bc/photo ID's for the adults. The problem is that our "new" adult doesn't want to drive and get a real Driver's License. We might just get him the State ID to be sure. I'd hate to get to the port and be told that there's an issue with his Learner's Permit. Thanks!

The FL learner's permit is a state issued ID. It has an expiration date, so it meets the requirements for TSA and entrance into federal buildings.

I don't know why the passport application says that a learner's permit isn't an acceptable form of ID, but maybe some states don't require the same documentation to get a permit as is required to get a licenses. FL does. My daughters had to show proof of legal status in the US to get it (passports worked).

I don't think you can have a permit/license AND a state issued ID, since they are really the same thing and you can't have 2 licenses.

Nancy

The FL learner's permit is a state issued ID. It has an expiration date, so it meets the requirements for TSA and entrance into federal buildings.

I don't know why the passport application says that a learner's permit isn't an acceptable form of ID, but maybe some states don't require the same documentation to get a permit as is required to get a licenses. FL does. My daughters had to show proof of legal status in the US to get it (passports worked).

I don't think you can have a permit/license AND a state issued ID, since they are really the same thing and you can't have 2 licenses.

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy! I think the passport application probably doesn't accept learner's permits since they may vary from state to state. Yes, in FL you have to do everything except give a blood sample to get your driver's license now! Good to know that we can save the $25 and not get him a state ID. I'd rather just have him get a real driver's license since he has the tests and driving experience all documented from driver's ed, but if he's not going to drive by himself, it doesn't make sense to have to pay for insurance for the kid (especially an 18 year old male!). I guess it will come in time ...

In the state of Michigan the learners permits are just a piece of paper with info .....NO picture. Therefore with permits not being in a standard format they are not acceptable pieces of I.D. for passports.

My daughter is the same way. No interest in driving. We had to get her the state issued ID before she went to college so she didn't have to carry her passport for the various reasons she needed the ID. I would just get him one if he isn't going to get his licence any time soon . He will need it for something eventually. :goodvibes

[...]

Wow, the State of Florida does *not* make it easy to find information on ID cards. :rolleyes2 I went to look, since I have this librarian thing of not being able to leave a reference question alone. :confused3

As far as I can tell, based on the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles site, Nancy's right - you can't have both a learner's license (they don't call it a permit - who knew?) and a Florida State ID. You have to "surrender" one of them to get the other.

18? get a passport - good for 10 years. And then get it stamped at the ports... On our two cruises we got stamps at Nassau, CC, Cayman and Hell. Could not find the place to get a stamp at Cozumel. He'll needed if he all of a sudden would go to Mexico or Canada...

Wow, the State of Florida does *not* make it easy to find information on ID cards. :rolleyes2 I went to look, since I have this librarian thing of not being able to leave a reference question alone. :confused3

As far as I can tell, based on the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles site, Nancy's right - you can't have both a learner's license (they don't call it a permit - who knew?) and a Florida State ID. You have to "surrender" one of them to get the other.

Okay, did you think I wouldn't be right????

Nancy (a little hurt :lmao:)

18? get a passport - good for 10 years. And then get it stamped at the ports... On our two cruises we got stamps at Nassau, CC, Cayman and Hell. Could not find the place to get a stamp at Cozumel. He'll needed if he all of a sudden would go to Mexico or Canada...

Agreed. Plus if anything were to happen in a foreign country then you can use a passport to fly home. And do not get the card get the passport book.

I agree that the best way to go is with a passport. For anyone age 16 or older, they're good for 10 years. In case of emergency while out of the country, it's one less thing to worry about.

My DD16 also has a learner's permit. Her learner's permit looks just like how her Driver's liscence will be when she finally learns how to drive. In New York it is issued by the DMV's as a state photo ID. If your son's photo ID is the official photo ID issued by the state, it should be valid for boarding with his original birth certificate.

I know in Oklahoma, "Learners Permits" are actually learners licences and act just the way any other government photo ID would work.

I feel like if the card is just like a drivers license but reads, "Learners Permit" It should work as a photo ID. pirate:

I have had to fly with an ID since i was 15 because they didn't believe that I was under the age to need one. And my Learners Permit worked just fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter