Cruising with 18-21 yr. old

jbrile

Earning My Ears
We are taking our first Disney Cruise January 2006. We have two girls ages 5 and 18 when we crusie.

The 5 yr. old will be in heaven, I have no doubt of that. I was just wondering iif others have traveled with kids in college and how they enjoyed the Disney Cruise.

We will be going on Disney Cruise #6 in June! My DD's are now 19 and 22 and absolutely love them!

They are Disney raised kids, however, and do love WDW, too. But the cruise gives all of us the opportunity to enjoy various activities during the day, sometimes together and sometimes apart. We do always meet up for dinner, however. We do have a DIS College Board they can visit and discuss all things Disney or whatever, lol. Good luck!

Carol;

Thnks so much for the reply.

I don't have any doubt that she will have a great time. I just don't want her to have any bored time (you know how awful that b word is). She does enjoy time with Mom and Dad so I am sure it will be OK. Also, she likes to work out and sports so I am sure the spa will be a good idea.

I was just hoping there may be other kids on the cruise her age and if there was a way for them to hook up. It's easier when traveling in a pack. Disney does a great job for kids up to 17 and then for Mom's and Dads--just hoping the in betweens can get together.

jbrile

We cruised recently with our daughter 19 and her girlfriend (same age). DCL does have scheduled "meet and greet" activities throughout the week for the 18-25 year old group. They loved that they could do all the "adult" things and be in the clubs at night. My daughter has cruised DCL 3 previous times starting at age 14. She LOVES it. And we rebooked for Jan. 06. :flower:

With the oldest two of ours in college, my youngest was less than two months shy of 18 when we took her on her first Disney cruise. She loved it and has since gone on two more, one of which included her 21 year old sister who also got addicted to them. We always have a great time. They like being "adults" and going to the clubs.

It sounds like your DD is a lot like mine. She has a lot of fun just hanging out with us, and she does enjoy the Spa. We're taking her on the two week repo cruise in May. She's already planning on using the Rainforest room and getting her hair done again.

I'll let you know if two weeks on a ship exceeds her bonding with Mom limit. :) :teeth:

jackiejackson said:
We cruised recently with our daughter 19 and her girlfriend (same age). DCL does have scheduled "meet and greet" activities throughout the week for the 18-25 year old group. They loved that they could do all the "adult" things and be in the clubs at night. My daughter has cruised DCL 3 previous times starting at age 14. She LOVES it. And we rebooked for Jan. 06. :flower:

They do????? I would like to know more about this! I am bringing my twin 18 and a half yr olds with me in June! We didn't notice any such meetings when we cruised 2 yrs. ago. (we were thinking ahead) :listen: How is it listed in the navigators???

I'll need to find out more about the meet and greet.

Good to see that there will be some others in the same age range on our cruise in January 06. We are on the Eastern Carib 1/7.

jbrile

Hollyster2 & jbrile -

We just cruised in Jan. and the meetings were listed in the Navigator as "Mix & Match: Guests 18-25 years, meet your fellow cruisers. Rockin Bar D." This was on Sat, Sun and Thurs around 10:00 PM.

Then during the day at 12:30 "Cruise Staff Lunch: If you're 18-21 join your cruise staff for an informal lunch at Parrot Cay." This was held (I think) every 'at sea' day.

They had a couple of other "Mix and Mingle"s at various times for movies, or by the adult pool. There was a CM that attended all these scheduled meetings. DCL is really trying to respond to requests for more activites for this age group. I really applaud them for doing so.

People have reported that the mixers for young adults are sparesely attended. In the past not even the crew member assigned has shown up.

Some peoples 18-21 year olds have a great time. Other people are bored. A cruise is really, for anyone, a "make your own fun" sort of experience. A five year old who doesn't like the clubs may get bored. A fourteen year old who doesn't like the Stack may get bored. Even grownups may get bored, if they don't enjoy the activities scheduled, aren't the type to sit with a book or sit in the sunshine, or meet new people.

Okay, stupid question. As the parent of an about to go to college 18 year old, how does ANY parent with a kid in college afford a cruise? :confused3

We took our cruise in the middle of our son's Junior year of high school, knowing money would be tight after he hit college.

At $33,000 a year for college, we hope to live long enough to afford another cruise!!

I have 2 in college right now at $27K EACH per year!

I have only one answer...DVC!! LOL!! Yes, I am cruising on points, so I only had to lay out the $75 booking fee...gotta love those points. :teeth:

I have two in college also. I really don't know how we are affording it. I am sure we aren't. ;) Trying to get one last family trip in, I guess. The memories are priceless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter