Cruising The Canal May 1, 2015 (Roll Call in Post 1)

We're hoping to take the train to Anaheim to the Disneyland Hotel, can any of the locals help with stops to get off? Is there only 1 Anaheim stop and then taxi or are there more than 1?

We are on the May 1 2015 cruise and researching best return flight options back to FL. I have read a few threads regarding the not so efficient disembarkation process in San Diego that has created missed flights for most morning to 12:30pm flights in the past. Spending the day touring the nearby San Diego Zoo etc. seems like the best solution and then taking a red eye.

Anyone found any better options for earlier flights east?

Hey there! I live in San Diego and Fly often to East coast (Providence, for work and Orlando for the big D),

Anyway there are very few direct flights to east coast (I've occasionally seen them to Boston, NYC and Orlando). Its such a small airport we don't really have a hub for any one airline. Even if you get a direct flight with the time change and a 10 amish departure you are getting in between 4-6 pm. Then there's the ones with connecting flights: Most are between 6 and 8 am depature times (try getting your friends to drop you off with those times :) ) The latest I've ever seen is for connecting flights ~ 10-10;30 am and typically with the lay over you get in around 8-9 pm. I think this is since there are limits on how late commercial airliners can land in most cities. So there are really no great options to get to the east coast after about 10:30 or 11. So yes if you want to get out that day (and make sure you make your flight), the Red-eye is probably your best option. I've done them and don't mind them, but my husband is very anti red-eye. At the same time I'm so drained the next day, I may as well have just stayed the night and had a more leisurly trip home. :) Hope this helps! Happy to help with anyone else who has any other San Diego questions since I live here too. FB is more convenient for me, so I do frequent that group more ofen--though I know some may not FB. So I'll check here now and again too :).

We took a Southwest at 12.35pm(ish, can't quite remember) back to Orlando. We opted for second off the ship after self disembarkation and yes, we were an hour late into San Diego and disembarkation was a bit of a shambles but being so early off at least there were taxis and we were at the airport in plenty of time. Either do self disembarkation or the early flight option and you should be ok. We are hoping the massive road/building works outside the port will have moved away by next May so things will be less chaotic.

Our main problem was a bag was missing and we spent an hour looking(with the help of 2 lovely port workers) until it was found in a way way off area with a load of others all with different coloured tags. We decided it had been picked for security and then when taken off the ship ours, with the others chosen bags were just dumped anywhere as they were all from different luggage tag colours. No worker was going to individually put them in the correct areas I guess. If you do find a bag is missing that might be where is has gone. I was panicking terribly as we had to catch that flight.

Thanks for the feedback! Right now the 12:30 PM and the 10:30pm are the cheapest at about $250 per person, plus baggage fees of course :sad2:. We did the red eye from Vancover on the Alaska cruise we did on the Wonder a few years ago and that was the worst! Had to layover in Cleveland at 6am for four hours!:eek: I don't mind a short layover but that was the pits.

We took a Southwest at 12.35pm(ish, can't quite remember) back to Orlando. We opted for second off the ship after self disembarkation and yes, we were an hour late into San Diego and disembarkation was a bit of a shambles but being so early off at least there were taxis and we were at the airport in plenty of time. Either do self disembarkation or the early flight option and you should be ok. We are hoping the massive road/building works outside the port will have moved away by next May so things will be less chaotic.

Our main problem was a bag was missing and we spent an hour looking(with the help of 2 lovely port workers) until it was found in a way way off area with a load of others all with different coloured tags. We decided it had been picked for security and then when taken off the ship ours, with the others chosen bags were just dumped anywhere as they were all from different luggage tag colours. No worker was going to individually put them in the correct areas I guess. If you do find a bag is missing that might be where is has gone. I was panicking terribly as we had to catch that flight.

Thanks for the feedback! Right now the 12:30 PM and the 10:30pm are the cheapest at about $250 per person, plus baggage fees of course :sad2:. We did the red eye from Vancover on the Alaska cruise we did on the Wonder a few years ago and that was the worst! Had to layover in Cleveland at 6am for four hours!:eek: I don't mind a short layover but that was the pits.

Hey there! I live in San Diego and Fly often to East coast (Providence, for work and Orlando for the big D),

Anyway there are very few direct flights to east coast (I've occasionally seen them to Boston, NYC and Orlando). Its such a small airport we don't really have a hub for any one airline. Even if you get a direct flight with the time change and a 10 amish departure you are getting in between 4-6 pm. Then there's the ones with connecting flights: Most are between 6 and 8 am depature times (try getting your friends to drop you off with those times :) ) The latest I've ever seen is for connecting flights ~ 10-10;30 am and typically with the lay over you get in around 8-9 pm. I think this is since there are limits on how late commercial airliners can land in most cities. So there are really no great options to get to the east coast after about 10:30 or 11. So yes if you want to get out that day (and make sure you make your flight), the Red-eye is probably your best option. I've done them and don't mind them, but my husband is very anti red-eye. At the same time I'm so drained the next day, I may as well have just stayed the night and had a more leisurly trip home. :) Hope this helps! Happy to help with anyone else who has any other San Diego questions since I live here too. FB is more convenient for me, so I do frequent that group more ofen--though I know some may not FB. So I'll check here now and again too :).

That is the main concern, getting off the ship smoothly!:thumbsup2 We have done many DCL cruises and never had any reason to rush off the the ship to catch a flight because we live in Florida and drive to the port.

So, I'm leaning towards the red eye. Get the luggage, go to the airport, drop off the luggage then rent a car or whatever to go to the Zoo. What else is in the area to do sightseeing wise?

Could we be added to roll call? It will be myself, Mia, dh Todd and ds Ashton who will be 14 next year. We have main dining and have our cabin on deck 2.

Could we be added to roll call? I've been on fb but haven't been added on here. It will be myself, Mia, dh Todd and ds Ashton who will be 14 next year. We have main dining and have our cabin on deck 2.

Oh, and we are from Goodrich, michigan.

I think the candy at the M&G makes the most sense for the very reasons you said. When we did last year's EBTA I found it hard to walk around meeting new folks and I really did stick to the ones I'd spoken with the most on here. I love the excuse to make the rounds, as it were. And I truly appreciate you organizing it. I'm a terrible joiner and an even worse organizer, so this is wonderful for someone lke me.

:cotol1:

:welcome:

As far as booking up so early, I think it's because the EBTA next year is so popular. (I am not an expert on DCL, this is just my theory. It might be totally wrong.) We did last year's EBTA and the prices were dirt cheap and I'm pretty sure they had *GT rates after PIF. While on last year's they let us book this year's EBTA for 20% off. It was a steal (we ultimately weren't able to go this year). Anyway, when they came out with next year's EBTA it was so new and different that folks went nuts for it! The prices have gone through the roof! I think it has pushed a lot of folks looking for a less expensive long cruise to this one.

I'll be curious to see how full it is at PIF. I'm assuming they'll have *GT rates on this cruise, but maybe they won't have as much trouble selling the rooms.

Regardless, I can't wait :banana:

This is very interesting. Could be right. I was looking to see what cabins were actually available and most decks have very few rooms left except for deck 1 and 8 which have a lot left.

Could we be added to roll call? I've been on fb but haven't been added on here. It will be myself, Mia, dh Todd and ds Ashton who will be 14 next year. We have main dining and have our cabin on deck 2.

All done! Welcome onboard :)

Hello DTers:wave2: You'll have your confirmation numbers by the end of next week! We had a few latecomers, so I had to resubmit the proposal, which is fine as we're still over nine months from embarkation:)

pixiedust:WELCOME to all who have joined the group, it gets bigger each time I log onpixiedust:

From New England to FL, them back from CA...the best airfare I've found is from Worcester, Providence, or Manchester to Ft. Lauderdale. Then from Long Beach, Ontario, or San Diego back to New England.

We're from a little beach town in San Diego, and just moved back to New England - again. The Wonder is not dropping us off "at home" next year:sad:

276 days to go

Hello DTers:wave2: You'll have your confirmation numbers by the end of next week! We had a few latecomers, so I had to resubmit the proposal, which is fine as we're still over nine months from embarkation:) pixiedust:WELCOME to all who have joined the group, it gets bigger each time I log onpixiedust: From New England to FL, them back from CA...the best airfare I've found is from Worcester, Providence, or Manchester to Ft. Lauderdale. Then from Long Beach, Ontario, or San Diego back to New England. We're from a little beach town in San Diego, and just moved back to New England - again. The Wonder is not dropping us off "at home" next year:sad: 276 days to go

Thank you for the update!!!

I am so thrilled that I was able to convince DH to take kids out of school and cruise the canal!!
Please add me to roll call, and point me in the right direction for FE :-)

I am so thrilled that I was able to convince DH to take kids out of school and cruise the canal!!
Please add me to roll call, and point me in the right direction for FE :-)

:yay:WELCOME:yay:

We don't care about taking the kids out of school; it the kids who don't want to miss two weeks.:sad2: They go to an unusual school, so I understand, but I think a Disney Cruise is more fun:)

Hi DT participants,

Please check your DIS PMs for further information:beach:

Hi everyone!
We have finalized our plans for this cruise so we are going with you all! :cheer2::cheer2:
Please add us to the roll call
Lisa 50
Andrew 48
JoAnna 31
From Florida, 18th Disney cruise
Can't wait to meet everyone.

Welcome to all the new cruisers.

It's time to get my planning on now that school is starting again (and I'm almost back home again.)

:cool1:WELCOME NEW WBPCers:cool1:

Lots of kids, lots of fun adults, and lots of excitement:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Hi! Can we please get added as well? I have been on the FB group but would like to join here too. We are DW, DH, DS (8) and DS (5) - ages time of sailing. Cabin # 7535. We are planning to do FE, M&G and probably a mixology. SO excited for this trip!
Thanks so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter