Cruising The Canal May 1, 2015 (Roll Call in Post 1)

I would start heading to LAX at 5 and no later.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

Thank you for the advice, it's very much appreciated as I have a much better idea now about how long we are likely to have at DL (if we decide to visit).

DT list is now closed:eek: Please look for a PM with your confirmation # sometime next week:) I have added/deleted/changed as per all of your requests. No need to worry if you sent an email or PM:thumbsup2

:yay:Welcome to all who have joined the cruise:yay:

I am all about tastings, including chocolate, just tell me where and when:goodvibes

We're buying Polar Express tickets and airfare to FLL this week. They're the same price ... love the cheap plane tix:upsidedow

Posting here for all those who don't use Facebook:

Usually, there is a meet and greet and the opportunity to get to know your fellow cruisers on the first day (embarkation day). As a few people had mentioned chocolate tasting, I thought it might be fun to repeat something we have done on our previous cruises, i.e. a candy/chocolate exchange.

The idea is you bring some chocolate or candy from your local area (or country if there is no regional specialty) and bring it along to the M&G. Don't worry if you can't bring anything, there is no obligation, it's just a bit of fun. And if you'd rather bring something savoury, please feel free to do that too (although it might be worth checking if there are any restrictions on what savoury items you can bring on board).

More details will be posted, regarding time and place, nearer to the cruise date but please ask if you have any questions :)

DT list is now closed:eek: Please look for a PM with your confirmation # sometime next week:) I have added/deleted/changed as per all of your requests. No need to worry if you sent an email or PM:thumbsup2

I am all about tastings, including chocolate, just tell me where and when:goodvibes

We're buying Polar Express tickets and airfare to FLL this week. They're the same price ... love the cheap plane tix:upsidedow

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to seeingyou at the DT :cool1:

Thank you again for organising the DT stay :thumbsup2

Are we doing the usual M&G in the Promenade Lounge on Embarkation Day?

Always helpful for FE updates for the lucky folks who buy upgrades at check-in.

For those of us who don't FB, we appreciate the double-posted updates!

Are we doing the usual M&G in the Promenade Lounge on Embarkation Day?

Always helpful for FE updates for the lucky folks who buy upgrades at check-in.

For those of us who don't FB, we appreciate the double-posted updates!

As per my post above, there will definitely be a M&G on embarkation day. As far as location, I was really just waiting to see how many people we might have in our group since the Promenade Lounge can get fairly busy if you have too large a group. somebody on FB mentioned the possibility of getting one of the 'nightclub' areas for the M&G and, since I am already dealing with a lady from DCL for organising the Mixology sessions, I thought if the group was large enough, I would ask about a private area for the M&G (we did this on teh fantasy last October and were able to get the D Lounge for our meet - there were over 200 in our group).

Thank you again for organizing this! pixiedust:

Posting here for all those who don't use Facebook:

Usually, there is a meet and greet and the opportunity to get to know your fellow cruisers on the first day (embarkation day). As a few people had mentioned chocolate tasting, I thought it might be fun to repeat something we have done on our previous cruises, i.e. a candy/chocolate exchange.

The idea is you bring some chocolate or candy from your local area (or country if there is no regional specialty) and bring it along to the M&G. Don't worry if you can't bring anything, there is no obligation, it's just a bit of fun. And if you'd rather bring something savoury, please feel free to do that too (although it might be worth checking if there are any restrictions on what savoury items you can bring on board).

More details will be posted, regarding time and place, nearer to the cruise date but please ask if you have any questions :)
That would be cool if we had that many folks in our group :hippie:

As per my post above, there will definitely be a M&G on embarkation day. As far as location, I was really just waiting to see how many people we might have in our group since the Promenade Lounge can get fairly busy if you have too large a group. somebody on FB mentioned the possibility of getting one of the 'nightclub' areas for the M&G and, since I am already dealing with a lady from DCL for organising the Mixology sessions, I thought if the group was large enough, I would ask about a private area for the M&G (we did this on teh fantasy last October and were able to get the D Lounge for our meet - there were over 200 in our group).

Getting a bit confused. Is the suggestion that a candy exchange is done on the first meet and greet on embarkation day? I would think that might be a bit difficult with the excitement in actually getting to the M&G, baggage not having arrived if items are in them, people forgetting to too busy unpacking and forgetting(does happen:blush: ) or actually deciding not to go etc. Lots of reasons.

Or did I miss something and this Candy Exchange will be arranged at a different day, which would probably be better. Other times it has been done using FE's but extra to FE's.

Getting a bit confused. Is the suggestion that a candy exchange is done on the first meet and greet on embarkation day? I would think that might be a bit difficult with the excitement in actually getting to the M&G, baggage not having arrived if items are in them, people forgetting to too busy unpacking and forgetting(does happen:blush: ) or actually deciding not to go etc. Lots of reasons.

Or did I miss something and this Candy Exchange will be arranged at a different day, which would probably be better. Other times it has been done using FE's but extra to FE's.

The idea is to do it on the first day, together with the embarkation day meet & greet. It has been done this way every time I have done it and it has worked really well. The candy on the tables is a good ice breaker, as I find that the M&Gs have a tendency to be just little groups of people sticking to their own familiar groups and it can be difficult to get people to mix.

We always carry the candy in our hand luggage anyway, so never had a problem there. It isn't mandatory for anybody to go and, let's face it, even if it was later in the cruise, there would still be the possibility that people would be busy doing something else and forget or not be able to leave for whatever reason.

As I said over on FB, it was my suggestion that we do a candy exchange and include it with the M&G. I don't have a problem at all if people would rather do it another day later on in the cruise, but as I am already organising a couple of other things I won't be offering to do that. As much as I am looking forward to meeting my fellow cruisers, I am also reluctant to get involved in organising too many things to the detriment of the opportunity to spend some much needed time with my lovely husband ;)

Booked on opening day for this cruise but have been so focused on our upcoming WBTA I haven't thought much about this cruise. It will be me (Jennifer) and DH, Marc. This will be our 8th DCL cruise and our 4th on the Wonder.
We love the longer cruises--all those glorious sea days!

Booked on opening day for this cruise but have been so focused on our upcoming WBTA I haven't thought much about this cruise. It will be me (Jennifer) and DH, Marc. This will be our 8th DCL cruise and our 4th on the Wonder.

:welcome: Jennifer - I have added you to the roll call :)

We have always had our luggage in the room before the meet. We always did the meet about 45 minutes before the life boat drill.

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to Disboards, but have joined up since we heard about the FE's on our last cruise.

My mom (Pam) and Aunt (Pat) from WI just booked cabin 7050 for themselves and Cabin 7048 for my family from San Diego: Lori (me), Eric (husband), Brea (DD, age 5 on cruise) and Tyler (DS, Age 3). Apparently this ship was pretty booked. My mom said she got some of the last two rooms that were together. So I don't know if we are late in booking or if the PC cruises have become more popular.

Looking forward to it! We did the Westbound PC in 2012 last Sept and loved all of the relaxing Sea Days! There weren't many kids on board so kid clubs were pretty empty and kids wanted to stay with us and grand aunt, but they still had a lot of fun! I'm hoping since now they can go to the clubs together (DS was too young last year) that they will go together.

Anyone else have kids around this age? Last time the kids were mostly older.

We are all main dining. We've just requested to join the FB group. My mom/aunt FB, but not disboard, so I will invite them to the FB.

We'll be doing our first FE this Nov on the Magic in the carribean! We've also requested to sign up for the FE for this cruise. So excited. DD starts kindergarten this year so hopefully we don't get too much flack for pulling her out of school for almost a month this year. Nonetheless, I think travel is an important way kids learn too.

Anyway, the candy exchange sounds fun! How much candy do you need to bring? So do the mixology classes. We'd definitely be interested in both of those! And many thanks to all of the organizers of these things, making our cruises more magical! Organizers can never get enough thanks!!!! So here's another big thank you from me!!!

Looking forward to saying hi to everyone!

Hi Everyone, I'm relatively new to Disboards, but have joined up since we heard about the FE's on our last cruise. My mom (Pam) and Aunt (Pat) from WI just booked cabin 7050 for themselves and Cabin 7048 for my family from San Diego: Lori (me), Eric (husband), Brea (DD, age 5 on cruise) and Tyler (DS, Age 3). Apparently this ship was pretty booked. My mom said she got some of the last two rooms that were together. So I don't know if we are late in booking or if the PC cruises have become more popular. Looking forward to it! We did the Westbound PC in 2012 last Sept and loved all of the relaxing Sea Days! There weren't many kids on board so kid clubs were pretty empty and kids wanted to stay with us and grand aunt, but they still had a lot of fun! I'm hoping since now they can go to the clubs together (DS was too young last year) that they will go together. Anyone else have kids around this age? Last time the kids were mostly older. We are all main dining. We've just requested to join the FB group. My mom/aunt FB, but not disboard, so I will invite them to the FB. We'll be doing our first FE this Nov on the Magic in the carribean! We've also requested to sign up for the FE for this cruise. So excited. DD starts kindergarten this year so hopefully we don't get too much flack for pulling her out of school for almost a month this year. Nonetheless, I think travel is an important way kids learn too. Anyway, the candy exchange sounds fun! How much candy do you need to bring? So do the mixology classes. We'd definitely be interested in both of those! And many thanks to all of the organizers of these things, making our cruises more magical! Organizers can never get enough thanks!!!! So here's another big thank you from me!!! Looking forward to saying hi to everyone!

Welcome!! This group has been very active and we got tons of activities already. My son is also 3 years old. And I hope they both can play together. There are not a lot of kids that age on our group.

The idea is to do it on the first day, together with the embarkation day meet & greet. It has been done this way every time I have done it and it has worked really well. The candy on the tables is a good ice breaker, as I find that the M&Gs have a tendency to be just little groups of people sticking to their own familiar groups and it can be difficult to get people to mix.

We always carry the candy in our hand luggage anyway, so never had a problem there. It isn't mandatory for anybody to go and, let's face it, even if it was later in the cruise, there would still be the possibility that people would be busy doing something else and forget or not be able to leave for whatever reason.

As I said over on FB, it was my suggestion that we do a candy exchange and include it with the M&G. I don't have a problem at all if people would rather do it another day later on in the cruise, but as I am already organising a couple of other things I won't be offering to do that. As much as I am looking forward to meeting my fellow cruisers, I am also reluctant to get involved in organising too many things to the detriment of the opportunity to spend some much needed time with my lovely husband ;)
I think the candy at the M&G makes the most sense for the very reasons you said. When we did last year's EBTA I found it hard to walk around meeting new folks and I really did stick to the ones I'd spoken with the most on here. I love the excuse to make the rounds, as it were. And I truly appreciate you organizing it. I'm a terrible joiner and an even worse organizer, so this is wonderful for someone lke me.

:cool1:

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to Disboards, but have joined up since we heard about the FE's on our last cruise.

My mom (Pam) and Aunt (Pat) from WI just booked cabin 7050 for themselves and Cabin 7048 for my family from San Diego: Lori (me), Eric (husband), Brea (DD, age 5 on cruise) and Tyler (DS, Age 3). Apparently this ship was pretty booked. My mom said she got some of the last two rooms that were together. So I don't know if we are late in booking or if the PC cruises have become more popular.

Looking forward to it! We did the Westbound PC in 2012 last Sept and loved all of the relaxing Sea Days! There weren't many kids on board so kid clubs were pretty empty and kids wanted to stay with us and grand aunt, but they still had a lot of fun! I'm hoping since now they can go to the clubs together (DS was too young last year) that they will go together.

Anyone else have kids around this age? Last time the kids were mostly older.

We are all main dining. We've just requested to join the FB group. My mom/aunt FB, but not disboard, so I will invite them to the FB.

We'll be doing our first FE this Nov on the Magic in the carribean! We've also requested to sign up for the FE for this cruise. So excited. DD starts kindergarten this year so hopefully we don't get too much flack for pulling her out of school for almost a month this year. Nonetheless, I think travel is an important way kids learn too.

Anyway, the candy exchange sounds fun! How much candy do you need to bring? So do the mixology classes. We'd definitely be interested in both of those! And many thanks to all of the organizers of these things, making our cruises more magical! Organizers can never get enough thanks!!!! So here's another big thank you from me!!!

Looking forward to saying hi to everyone!
:welcome:

As far as booking up so early, I think it's because the EBTA next year is so popular. (I am not an expert on DCL, this is just my theory. It might be totally wrong.) We did last year's EBTA and the prices were dirt cheap and I'm pretty sure they had *GT rates after PIF. While on last year's they let us book this year's EBTA for 20% off. It was a steal (we ultimately weren't able to go this year). Anyway, when they came out with next year's EBTA it was so new and different that folks went nuts for it! The prices have gone through the roof! I think it has pushed a lot of folks looking for a less expensive long cruise to this one.

I'll be curious to see how full it is at PIF. I'm assuming they'll have *GT rates on this cruise, but maybe they won't have as much trouble selling the rooms.

Regardless, I can't wait :banana:

I will have a premier pass as well. I'm going to WDW for 10 days in October and will purchase it then, as I have several trips planned already. This will be my second "gold card" :lmao: My tentative plan is to do a few days at WDW before and a few at DL after, but I haven't actually made decisions yet.

Roll call:

Cindy, will be 54, travelling solo this time, cabin 7623, main dining. I live in Eureka, CA.

This is a bucket list item for me. It's my second DCL, (the first was Western Caribbean on the Wonder for 5 nights April 2014), my fourth cruise. I already have a three night west coast cruise booked for Oct 2015. That probably won't be my last, as somehow I will have done three cruises on the Wonder and I want to try other ships and I will still need to get to Castaway Cay!

I submitted a request for the FB group.

I just noticed that I didn't make it on the Roll Call yet - or I missed myself:rotfl2:

We are on the May 1 2015 cruise and researching best return flight options back to FL. I have read a few threads regarding the not so efficient disembarkation process in San Diego that has created missed flights for most morning to 12:30pm flights in the past. Spending the day touring the nearby San Diego Zoo etc. seems like the best solution and then taking a red eye.

Anyone found any better options for earlier flights east?

We are on the May 1 2015 cruise and researching best return flight options back to FL. I have read a few threads regarding the not so efficient disembarkation process in San Diego that has created missed flights for most morning to 12:30pm flights in the past. Spending the day touring the nearby San Diego Zoo etc. seems like the best solution and then taking a red eye.

Anyone found any better options for earlier flights east?

We took a Southwest at 12.35pm(ish, can't quite remember) back to Orlando. We opted for second off the ship after self disembarkation and yes, we were an hour late into San Diego and disembarkation was a bit of a shambles but being so early off at least there were taxis and we were at the airport in plenty of time. Either do self disembarkation or the early flight option and you should be ok. We are hoping the massive road/building works outside the port will have moved away by next May so things will be less chaotic.

Our main problem was a bag was missing and we spent an hour looking(with the help of 2 lovely port workers) until it was found in a way way off area with a load of others all with different coloured tags. We decided it had been picked for security and then when taken off the ship ours, with the others chosen bags were just dumped anywhere as they were all from different luggage tag colours. No worker was going to individually put them in the correct areas I guess. If you do find a bag is missing that might be where is has gone. I was panicking terribly as we had to catch that flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter