Cruising Nov. 2 -- have many, many questions

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
We're going on the four-night cruise on the Wonder, leaving on November 2nd -- it'll be our very first cruise, and we're super excited! It'll be my husband's 40th birthday, so we're celebrating big! We're in an inside, category 11 cabin (#6605 to be exact), and we're sailing with our two daughters (ages 6 and 9).

Now that we're within a few months of the cruise and it's starting to feel real, I have several questions for those of you who are experienced with cruises:

1. I've looked at the "who's cruising list" and some of the see-what's-still-available sites, and I'm getting the impression that we're going to be on a very empty ship! I'm thinking this is a good thing because it increases our chances of getting an upgrade (though we'll be happy just to be on the ship!) and Palo at a good time slot, and the ship shouldn't be too crowded. This kind of makes sense to me because the weeks between Halloween and Thanksgiving are not big travel times.

Am I judging this correctly, or is it likely that loads of people will sign up at the last minute?

2. What's the weather likely to be like the first week of November? I'm thinking of packing swim suits/cover ups and shorts for the day, capris for shopping in Nassau, and a shawl to go with my dress in the evenings. Am I on target here?

3. Is there a place to find out what movies will be shown that week? I heard that Disney's new animated movie Brother Bear will be released on November 1 instead of November 7 as previously mentioned. I know my girls would be thrilled to see it.

4. I'm clear on the "big tips" at the end of the cruise issue, but I'd like to verify one thing: If we have a sit-down breakfast or lunch in one of the restaurants, we should NOT tip, right? We're covering those tips at the end of the cruise, right?

I am not so clear on "little tips". I know we should have some small bills on hand to tip room service, but what about if we order drinks by the pool? I thought I read somewhere that a tip was automatically added to the drink. Is this true, or should we be prepared with dollars by the pool?

5. We'll be driving to Flordia the night before, so we need a place to stay. I've heard lots of good things about the Radisson, but I'd like to stay somewhere a little cheaper (while still being within an hour of the port). We want to leave our own car safely locked up in the port area so we don't have to wait for shuttles. A perfect place would sleep 4 (2 adults, 2 small kids), have a continental breakfast, and cost less than the Radisson. It'll be a one-night, no frills stay -- we probably wont' even swim -- so we're not overly concerned with "nice." Any recommendations?

6. The fireworks that are going on now through August sound wonderful, and I know my girls would love them. Any guesses on how likely it is they'll be continued after August?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give on these topics!

hi we'll be on that cruise with our 4 kids and my 2 youngest our girls ages 6 and 10. it does seem to be not very full. for a long time there was just 2 families here on the dis going at that time but i think there are 4 now. but even a full ship is not supposed to be too bad.
i think your right on about the weather i will be packing shorts and swimsuits ,but if your going to the theater to see a movie bring something warmer, several people brought the spare blankets from their rooms and were still cold.
other then asking here i don't know of any site to find out about movies onboard but you may be able to find out by calling dcl directly.
i hope your right about lunch and breakfast as we have not tipped these servers ,and the tips for drinks are figured in ,however there is also a line to add a tip that would be charged to your room.
i can't help you with the hotel, we have always stayed at the raddison, being a family of 6 we like that we can all stay in the same room and the kids do enjoy the pool.
i hope this helps.
will you be putting the kids in the clubs? my little one loves the club but doesn't like to eat with them. she was very excited to hear there will be another little girl her age. her name is robyn.
feel free to e mail me if you'd like to chat before the cruise.
tomi

2. The clothes you want depend upon where you're from...you listing only says USA. If from the North your choices should be fine, it will certainly beat 20 degrees and snow. If from the South know that there is always a breeze outside, and the interior is WELL air conditioned. My wife liked to change into lounge pants and a T-shirt to go to the movies, I was fine in shorts.

3. When you get your paperwork to fill out I believe there is a phone number to find out what will be playing.

4. The tipping you seem to understand just fine. And like it was said...there is the line to add more if you want. The only thing I had no clue about was Palos, how much should one tip at Palos? There is a $5 cover per person, but that isn't the tip. That was one thing I never thought to ask about on here prior to going, maybe someone else knows. I rated the meal at about $100 so I tipped $20, you just have no idea how to rate it when EVERYTHING in EVERY restaurant is SO GOOD!!!!! I looked at it as the 4-day tipping is almost $15 /day,but this is for multiple meals...because they work elswhere throughout the day. I don't know that it's the same for Palos. So that was my basis.

5. As far as Hotel goes...if you don't mind having a 45 min-1 hr drive in the morning I booked on Hotwire.com for like $53 an Amerisuites room. (You can tell it is the Amerisuites by the amenities.) Choose the Airport area(Its East of Orlando and on 528).

My experience (3 times) for getting Amerisuites is the amenities. A RED square with an "S" (for suite) and a coffe cup (designating free breakfast) are a pretty good tipoff that it's an Amerisuites. November 2002 we got one near Sea World for $36/night.

6. I hope they never get rid of the fireworks, but nothing was mentioned last week about how long they will last.

Hope this all helps. I would also like to add that if you have multiple electrical devices to bring a power strip. There are only 2 outlets on the desk(Cat 9) and one extra behind the TV. The oultets on the desk are next to each other so if the plug is oversized, your stuck only able to use 1 outlet. (I had to swap things out to recharge and swore I would pass this along!)

Sumfun -- I'm glad your girls will be there with mine! They're Amy and Emily. I think they will be going to the kids clubs part of the time.

Docloninger -- We're Southerners, so we'll remember your advice and pack something to cover our arms indoors. We'll also try for the Amerisuites -- that sounds just right for us.

Thank you both for your responses!

It happens to ba a slower season(Nov.) About 4 years ago, we booked a 4 night cruise during the 1st week of Nov., and were pleasantly surprised to find we were upgraded to the highest category. While I'm sure this doesn't happen often, you will probably atleast be upgraded 1 cat.
Also, weather was unpredictable. We hit mild hurricane storms! Swimming was out of the question! I'm sure this is not typical either.

Your best bet for a hotel is to go through Priceline. Pick the MCO area and bid at the highest star level. If you offer from $25 to $28, you're almost certain to end up with the Marriott. The other two we've gotten at that star level are the Holiday Inn Select and the Renaissance.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Just sayin' "Hi" & we'll see you on the ship!

It's fantastic - you & your family will love it. Can't add anything more than what's already been said, except that it does get very chilly in the restaurants, clubs, etc. & a heavier sweater will very likely be welcomed.
:D :bounce: :D

Thanks for your replies, folks! They've helped.

Unfortunately, we have to bump our cruise back by a week (separate post on that -- yes, I'm still angry, but my husband reminded me that I should be thankful that I have profitable employment even if it does sometimes make life inconvenient), so Sumfun and dclwdwlover, we won't see you on the ship -- unless we pass as you exit and we board. Enjoy the 11/2 cruise, and know that I'm at home packing for the 11/9 cruise instead!

I sailed that week last year. Great weather and perfect seas.

You are correct...no need to tip at seated lunches or breakfasts.

For the hotel room, I would use priceline and select the Cocoa Beach area. Sounds like a 2 or 2 1/2 star are what you are looking for. After you bid and get the room, just call the hotel directly and request 2 double beds. Look at biddingfortravel.com and view the Florida listings for the Cocoa Beach area. I'm not sure which FL board it will fall under. The first post will show the hotels that have come up with Priceline in each zone and star quality. I have stayed at Radissons for $25(not the Port one), Marriotts for $30.....you can't beat the deals!!

You do not tip at the bars with cash. A 15% will be on the ticket automatically...that includes sodas as well as mixed drinks or beer.

We were on the Wonder, July 17 cruise, which was full to capacity. We don't like crowds, and were pleasantly surprised that it never felt crowded.

Regarding the air conditioning on board, we live in FL, and were not uncomfortable at any time in shorts and t-shirts, including the movie theater, but perhaps that was because it was so hot outside.

We had lunch in Triton's on Nassau day. It was empty, and our servers spent the entire time at our table, talking to us and answering our many questions. We were much happier with them than with our dinner servers, so we did leave a $10 tip. We didn't feel obligated at all to do so, but wanted to acknowledge their excellent service. Wish we could have had them for dinner.

Check out dcltribute.com for an excellent rundown on lodging available near the port. My only other recommendation is do not stay at the Clarion Inn on Merritt Island. It was on the shabby side, and while we were there, it was full of migrant workers, who were all hanging around in the parking lot outside our room. We didn't have any problems, but would have liked a better atmosphere for the money we paid.

Have a great cruise!

Moinab, that pic is adorable. How wonderful that whe was able to fall asleep on the beach!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter