• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruising during Christmas?

pearljammer

DIS Veteran
Would like to hear from those who have sailed during Christmas. Did you find it worth not celebrating t home? Our on would be 7 if we do this next year and I'm conflicted. Can you share what was o special about it or did you have regrets missing spending it at home? Thanks all

We are a small nuclear family who does not have nearby relatives with whom to celebrate. I was happier away than I was at home. We did Christmas 2010 on the Magic and had a wonderful holiday.

If it were up to me, my family would cruise every Christmas. No traffic, no hassles trying to coordinate visiting with family, no excessive gifts.

The 40-50% markup is a budget killer though.

If it were up to me, my family would cruise every Christmas. No traffic, no hassles trying to coordinate visiting with family, no excessive gifts.

:thumbsup2

My family would cruise Christmas every year too! This year we are cruising the Fantasy for NYE...which is even MORE expensive than Christmas! Our 2 cat 11B inside cabins are more expensive than the 11B AND 7A we had for Alaska last month! Yikes.

I'd say we could cruise the holidays again in 2015 since we've been on an every other year schedule, but if the 2014 prices are an indication, I don't know!

Yes, the higher price is painful. Some homebodies in our group wanted to be in their own beds and in front of their own fireplace with a white Christmas. Others were concerned they couldn't haul their large gifts on the cruise with them. If your kid is expecting a bicycle, skis, or a pony, that could be a problem.

If you consider the cruise as your total family gift, then you have your shopping done as soon as you pay in full.

If you want to escape winter weather, a Christmas cruise is great. Just allow an extra day or two pre-cruise to make sure you get to the port on time.

If you're planning a small gift exchange onboard, remember TSA doesn't want you to wrap your prezzies til after you go through airport security. Which will make it more challenging to hide things before you get unpacked and settled on the cruise and have a chance on put things under wraps.

Absolutely. My kids' gifts that year was they each chose an excursion they wanted to do. Other than that they just had stockings and the stuffers. It was very easy!

You think they'll buy that again with a NYE cruise? Even though we don't leave till the 26th for Florida? :rotfl2:

If you consider the cruise as your total family gift, then you have your shopping done as soon as you pay in full.

If you want to escape winter weather, a Christmas cruise is great. Just allow an extra day or two pre-cruise to make sure you get to the port on time.

We have a Christmas cruise booked for 2014 :cool1: :banana: :yay:

And we told our son that this is his Christmas gift, he's all excited about it.

When we told my family members we are going on a cruise over Christmas the reaction from most of them was, Really, you're actually leaving over Christmas? How can you do that? We've been wanting to do a Christmas vacation for years and are finally going through with it. We have never kept this secret from them.

My wife's family left us behind over Christmas and are not surprised that we would do this. Their hang up is despite the fact that they have never been on a Cruise before, they are sure they would hate going on one because there are times where you see nothing but water. I'm 100% ok that they are not going.

Huzzah to that. Although, that markup might balance out the lack of having to buy gifts, traveling to meet with people, and Christmas shopping crowds. There's a mall in my area that is jam packed with more traffic than rush hour every holiday season. I'd probably waste more in gas sitting in that than the markup for a cruise.

We have a Christmas cruise booked for 2014 :cool1: :banana: :yay:

And we told our son that this is his Christmas gift, he's all excited about it.

When we told my family members we are going on a cruise over Christmas the reaction from most of them was, Really, you're actually leaving over Christmas? How can you do that? We've been wanting to do a Christmas vacation for years and are finally going through with it. We have never kept this secret from them.

My wife's family left us behind over Christmas and are not surprised that we would do this. Their hang up is despite the fact that they have never been on a Cruise before, they are sure they would hate going on one because there are times where you see nothing but water. I'm 100% ok that they are not going.

We are also cruising Christmas 2014. My family will likely be annoyed. Oh well. You only live once, this is just one Christmas, I really want to do it, and doubt I ever will again. Besides I'm not getting any younger. Will get this stuff in while I can truly enjoy it.

We have done the Cruise every other year. 2010, 2012 and we now have it booked for 2014 and have friends coming too! WE did On Board booking then waited for the 2014 cruise to book. Cruise in Feb was just under 8000 for cat 4A. With a $200 room credit. Same cruise now $11,486.00 advise to anyone book early!

While we loved our Xmas cruise a few years ago I will probably not do one again as the price was simply too high.

We definitely have many great memories from that trip and will always remember the look on my daughter's face when we came back from "midnight" mass to find Santa had filled stockings we hung with all sort of little gifts.

So we are glad we did it once...but once was enough. :)

Jim

After doing a few Xmas at WDW, last year we missed it (the year before we went to WDW in mid December, so it was missed less). This year we said for sure we would go to WDW and next year on a cruise.

As we stand now, we are going to WDW for Xmas and then taking a short 3n on the Magic 12/27. Next year will be the big one, doing Xmas on the Fantasy. Since I'm always asked what do I want for Xmas, I'll simply say give me a Disney Gift Card the next two seasons.

Recently I told my DSis we would be going and she said she wanted spend Xmas with her family. I simply replied - so do I :)

Hi there,

We have had two Christmas days at sea on DCL, 2009 on the Wonder 4 nights and 2012 on the Dream 5 nights. It was great both times, the ships are decked out very well for the holidays. Lots of things such as gingerbread making and different activities onboard. The Dream had lovely ice sculptures and Santa in the attrium with a special buffet of eggnog and cake and things of the sort. We open presents in a bar or somewhere similar, infact we did this in the room last time, it was all very special. You don't have the rush of preparing lots of food or last minute shopping, apart from Nassau, it was just nice to be away during the holiday period, everyone there was of the same feeling. You won't regret it .:santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter