• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruising Before Baby Arrives

Alikay

Earning My Ears
We are doing the April 6 - 13, 2012 Eastern Carribean Cruise. My daughter who is not traveling is pregnant and due May 2nd. Has anyone been told it is not advisable to cruise and be around a newborn so soon after returning? I have called my doctor to get his opinion.

From the DCL cruise contract

Refusal of Passage
Disney Cruise Line may refuse to transport or may disembark at any port any Guest who may be suffering from a contagious or infectious disease, ill health or whose presence in the opinion of the Master may be detrimental to the comfort or safety of other Guests or the crew, or who, in the Master's opinion, might be excluded from landing at destination by Immigration or other governmental authorities. In such cases the Guest shall not be entitled to any refund of fare or compensation whatsoever.

Women who have entered their 24th week of pregnancy as of their embarkation date will be refused passage due to safety concerns. Neither a physician's medical statement nor a waiver of liability will be accepted. In addition, Disney Cruise Line cannot be held responsible or liable for any complications relating to pregnancy at any stage. Infants under 12 weeks old will not be allowed to travel aboard Disney Cruise Line ships.

DCL will not permit her to travel in April if she's due in May

Let me make sure I understand your question: You are concerned that traveling on a cruise, you might get some infectious disease that you might give the newborn when you return from your trip?

If that is your question, I think the doctor would ask you if you are going to any of the destinations that may have travel health advisories (such as needing extra vaccinations before going there) and advise you on how to keep yourself safe. I don't think there is any reason to worry about getting a long term illness on the cruise that wouldn't be the case going to any other populated destination...

We are doing the April 6 - 13, 2012 Eastern Carribean Cruise. My daughter who is not traveling is pregnant and due May 2nd. Has anyone been told it is not advisable to cruise and be around a newborn so soon after returning? I have called my doctor to get his opinion.

I think they were asking if it would be ok to be around the newborn after they get home after being on a cruise.

I would think that it would be fine as long as you wash your hands well before touching the baby. I don't believe that being on the ship would increase your chances of getting an illness. Just maintain good hygiene while on the ship and see how you feel when you get off.

Congrats to you and your daughter! :yay:

Let me make sure I understand your question: You are concerned that traveling on a cruise, you might get some infectious disease that you might give the newborn when you return from your trip?

If that is your question, I think the doctor would ask you if you are going to any of the destinations that may have travel health advisories (such as needing extra vaccinations before going there) and advise you on how to keep yourself safe. I don't think there is any reason to worry about getting a long term illness on the cruise that wouldn't be the case going to any other populated destination...

I think they were asking if it would be ok to be around the newborn after they get home after being on a cruise.

I would think that it would be fine as long as you wash your hands well before touching the baby. I don't believe that being on the ship would increase your chances of getting an illness. Just maintain good hygiene while on the ship and see how you feel when you get off.

Congrats to you and your daughter! :yay:

Yes, you both understand my concern. Thanks for your responses. Thank you so much. We are so excited.

Congrats, grandma!

DH and I finished a 15-day Baltic cruise on July 3rd and our grandson was hatched July 18th. (Obviously his mother was not on the cruise with us!)

There was absolutely no concern about cruise germs infecting the baby.

The pregnant daughter isn't on the cruise - grandma just wants to know if it's safe for her to be around a newborn baby so soon after getting back from a cruise.

I would guess it isn't any less safe than being around a newborn after being in any crowded place. Could be a different thing depending on where you are traveling and what is happening there. I'm not aware of any DCL ports that have health advisories.

I would also think that if you are fully vaccinated, the types of illness that could put a newborn are great risked would be minimized (e.g. measles)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter