cruises from Florida

greenclan67

Callie35
Ok we have done tons of vacations but never a cruise. My hubby has finally decided he is ready but doesn't want a Disney cruise. My brother loves Norwegian.
We are hoping for next March the week prior to March Break. So around March 5 the then a few days after in Florida.
We have two teenage girls 16 & 14. Would like to keep the cruise portion between $2500-$3000.00 is this attainable? They really want too see Bahama's or Jamaica. When is the best time to book? Any favourites? How pricey are drinks? Thanks!!!

For a first time cruiser, I'd recommend speaking with a TA with cruise experience. There should be a few in your area. How close are you to Sudbury? Also, check out cruise critic.com. You can get an idea of the various cruise lines and what they have to offer. The sooner you book, the better, to get the cabin type and location you want. Stateroom prices vary greatly from week to week. Depending on how flexible you are, you can save a lot or pay a lot. Now is not too soon to book. Most, if not all, of the mainstream cruise lines sail out of Florida. We like RC over Norwegian, but everyone has their personal preferences.

Hi, we have used Dreams Unlimited for our last couple of cruises. They are Florida based ( and a sponsor of Disboards). They have beaten any price I have seen in Ontario. Easy to book with. Work on the Husband about DCL! They are great cruises and they let you bring on alcohol!

Norwegian has a great deal on right now until the end of February. I'd check with them to see what they are offering, and what the Canadian price would be.

We use Dreams all the time. They are fantastic. We were iffy about a cruise and decided to go with DCL. It was worth the extra money. Such a fantastic ship ( we were on the dream)

Please, if you are in Ontario use a TICO registered agency.
It's just smart shopping for any travel needs.
I would say that depends on what your looking for if you want someone with a lot of excellence when it comes to booking Disney travel you may be better of using one like Dreams or Mouse Ear Vacations.

An agency doesn't make a travel consultant 'excellent' -- experience with the product does and many many have that here in Canada. It's a win-win and you know your travel investment is protected with added bonus of CAD.

My family cruises often. We never use a TA - instead we use a combination of the cruise consultant through NCL (who we normally cruise with) and myself - I love to plan trips and have a lot of knowledge. I would recommend checking out the major cruise lines and see what amenities you like best. I have been on Carnival and NCL - like them both, prefer NCL. Royal Caribbean is also awesome but typically more expensive. We usually cruise based on ports now, but sometimes its nice to pick a cruise based on the ship.

Now just a bit about NCL - "freestyle" cruising; good for first time cruisers who aren't sure if they will like it. Flexibility for when you want to eat, what time you want to go to the shows and you don't really need to dress up (but you can if you want). They have a ton of other restaurants to eat at - while there is a charge it isn't that much in the whole scheme of things. I find the staff overall more "fun" than on carnival ships, however, we still really enjoyed our carnival cruise, and wouldn't hesitate to go on them again!

Cruisecritic is a really helpful website for researching the cruise lines and has tons of tips for beginners! Also I would recommend booking your hotel for your pre-cruise stay ASAP - they fill up like crazy in Miami!

Hope this helps - and if you need more info feel free to shoot me a PM.

Don't forget that a travel agent not only knows their stuff, but can also offer additional incentives such as onboard credits. We've been booking DCL on our own, but we're using a TA for a RCL voyage later in the year. Also note that Royal has a pretty good offer on the Canadian exchange rate right now.

Please, if you are in Ontario use a TICO registered agency.
It's just smart shopping for any travel needs.

TICO covers you for deposits paid, but I don't believe you are any better serviced by a Canadian/Ontario agent.

We've booked many cruises, some online, some with agents, and some directly with the cruiseline. I will NEVER again book through a Canadian agent. Best I've ever had in perks from a Canadian Agent was $25 by being put into a group, unless they offer a cruiseline promotion, but then you will get that anywhere. I book all my cruises now through US travel agents. You can't beat the extra perks. Our next cruise is through Celebrity. We got $250OBC for booking onboard, plus $300 OBC for the next cruise, and then when i transferred my booking to my US agent, they threw in another $300 in OBC. NO Canadian agent would ever do that (at least not one I've met).

For anyone who has cruising questions, I have cruising experience with DCL, Royal, Carnival, Princess, Holland America, and Celebrity. My kids are 7 and 9 and have been on all lines except Princess. DH and I are in our mid-40s. Happy to answer any questions.

All of your money is protected with TICO.
I have heard of internet agencies who book these fabulous deals and then disappear off the face of the planet, and the client is left with a big fat zero. No money and no cruise.

The booking onboard promos are nothing to do with a travel agent or agency, they are cruise line incentives and as for agency OBC's ..depends on many factors. Many. But I can tell you ..minimum I've applied is $75.00.
You have to remember, some agencies have a lot more buying power than others and extend that along not to mention often new cruise line promotions are combineable with groups thus multiplying the OBC value. I have clients sailing on Princess this July with over $750 USD in OBC's on their booking from multiple sources. I think the idea is to book with a reputable well known ageny with good presence in the market and an agent who will go the distance to get the best deal for you by watching for new sales and promotions and re faring where applicable?

Last edited:
Minnie, i see from your latest post that you are a TA. Anyone who is endorsing the use of TAs and is a TA should be forthcoming and identify this. You might have done so on other posts, and others already know this about you.

Usually final payment is so close to your travel that that you are generally going to be safe. I'm only ever concerned about losing a deposit which can be made well in advance. If one books enough travel (as I do) the money that could be lost by not having TICO insurance, over time will be offset by the savings of "taking a chance" on not having TICO insurance. I've never had to worry about it, but I'm pretty sure that VISA will offer me some protection.

While some internet agencies have gone belly up - there are many reputable ones out there.

A $75 agency OBC credit (from a Canadian agency) is nothing compared to the hundreds of dollars in agency OBC that one can get from dealing with a reputable internet or US (Brick and mortar) agent. Generally it is going to be because the agency has buying power with the cruise line and has secured good rates/promos with the cruiseline because of the volume of cabins they book. Many US agencies will also offer CAD booking rates (although I prefer to pay in USD)

I have had great service from some Canadian TAs and horrible service from others. But at this point I'll opt for the savings and/or OBC that I can't seem to secure in Canada.

I make no bones about being a TA but respect the rules of these boards where I have belonged for many years without issue. I'm just wary of endorsing non Canadian agencies and as I have posted previously..I have many bookings with excessive OBC's, you just have to understand where they originate from, it's not from any particular agents pocket that I can assure you! It's very much combined sources which most reputable agencies have access to.
Everyone must do what they feel works for them but be conservative where you lead people especially a cruise newbie.

I used Expedia cruise ship centre in Sudbury for my last cruise. I got a $500 voucher by cashing in my aeroplan miles.

The service was great. Although it is easy enough to book your own cruise.

I used Expedia cruise ship centre in Sudbury for my last cruise. I got a $500 voucher by cashing in my aeroplan miles.

The service was great. Although it is easy enough to book your own cruise.

We also booked our July 2015 cruise with a local expedia CSC office. With our aeroplan points we are applying $800 in vouchers towards the cruise balance. Those points came in handy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter