Cruised 5x as DINKS, now 1st with Baby!!!

"As much as possible" may have been slightly exaggerated, but the perception you set forth in your OP was: I'm used to cruising as DINKs and I'm not ready to change that experience because kids interfere with your concept of relaxing or enjoying yourself.
Wow, you don't know two-foxes at all do you? :sad2: If you did, you would have never read her posts in the way you've been interpreting.

When we went with dd (then 17 months) it was important to us to spend family time together but to also enjoy ourselves alone as a couple. We booked Flounders time for Palo (dinner and brunch) and for Pirate Night. As the week wore on, we started booking her for nights at Flounders (fortunately for us, there was availability when we went this past Sept). Our daughter goes to sleep at 8:30 most nights, so that's the time we'd book her into Flounders, we'd drop her off in her pajamas. While she slept in Flounders, we were able to go and enjoy some of the evening adults only shows yet still spend plenty of time together during the day as a family.

Of course she doesn't remember the trip but we took plenty of pictures. When we got back, I made a photobook and it's now her favorite book to look at. "Mommy look!! That's me and Chip & Dale!"

We didn't plan any excursions and stayed close to the boat. Everyone is assigned a time and day for a character breakfast so you'll be covered with that. We did loosely plan our day around character meets.

Enjoy your trip, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Oh, and we never got up at 6am! The splash area was never too crowded where we had to worry about her going in, but we did have to chase her a few times from trying to climb into the Mickey pool! :upsidedow

Mel - I will most certainly read you trip report! How is your little man doing???

I NEVER thought about the walking on the ship....DS is a slow mover (doc jokes that it is all the weight he has to hold up with his big noggin!), so I am not sure exactly how mobile he'll be then, but never thought of the general movements of the ship.

Cobra - living up to your name....when I have more time on my hands, perhaps I will go back, research your posts and twist them as I might....but alas, I have a 10 month old to keep an eye on;) You did miss quoting how I am so looking forward to dancing with my little guy during the sailaway party in that other thread (again, he won't be in Flounders for that)....oh and spa time, should we choose do it if it is financially feasible, doesn't require Flounder time, that would be mommy time and DH would be hanging with the little man.

Part of the issues these boards, as wonderful as they are, is that the written word has no tone, you can see no facial expression, you have no time to respond to clarify if needed before it gets misinterpeted, and simply you have NO CLUE about the person writing it....but then again, you shouldn't percieve the worst of someone as a result, which you did. I don't appreciate it one bit, nor do I appreciate your continued argument to attempt to prove your idea that I am a parent who would rather leave their kid in a day care while mommy and daddy do everything they used to do with no concern for their child. What do you have to gain from that? I don't get it! But again, thanks what what advice you did give me, and I am done with the rest. Best of luck to you and your continued fun on Disney trips!

We took DS on the 4 night wonder in Jan. He was 23 months at the time and we had an awesome time. This was our first vacation since having him. We didn't use Flounders at all because he's never been with a non family member and we didn't want his first time to be in a weird place he was unfamiliar with.

This was our first cruise but the difference from other vacations was this was just a slower paced actually relaxing vacation. We slept in a bit.. napped in the afternoon and went back to the room earlier. We got a cat 4 so Dh and I could spend time on the balcony after DS went to sleep. He watched DS while I went to the spa and I napped with DS while he went to the adult pool.

It was a different kind of vacation but I am so glad we went. I think it's great to take young kids to Disney or DCL.. they're very kid friendly and people don't look at you weird if your kid spills at the table or something. As for them not remembering it long term... who cares.. you will remember it and have great memories and photos to share with them and I am sure it won't be his last Disney expierence. LOL.. we don't plan on having another so if I waited for him to be 5 before taking him I would still be pushing around another baby so I wouldn't worry about the age.. it makes for great family bonding.

Hey Jill!!!

Don't worry!!! You will have just a great time as before but a bit different......hope all is well with you guys....which cruise are you guys on? We are on October 11th with a big group of friends of family and one couple is bringing their baby girl who will be just 6 mos!!! We had brought our Keri to WDW when she was 6 mos and we all had a great time!! Now at 24 she still enjoys travel (she just got back from Vegas) and I love showing her pics when she was 6 mos at WDW!!!

As you know our kids all loved DCL over the years and have practically grown up onboard in our 16 DCL cruises....

You will have a AWESOME TIME!!!

MJ

Hey Jill!!!

Don't worry!!! You will have just a great time as before but a bit different......hope all is well with you guys....which cruise are you guys on? We are on October 11th with a big group of friends of family and one couple is bringing their baby girl who will be just 6 mos!!! We had brought our Keri to WDW when she was 6 mos and we all had a great time!! Now at 24 she still enjoys travel (she just got back from Vegas) and I love showing her pics when she was 6 mos at WDW!!!

As you know our kids all loved DCL over the years and have practically grown up onboard in our 16 DCL cruises....

You will have a AWESOME TIME!!!

MJ

Hey, lady! We are on the 5 night Sept 1 cruise. I am so excited, although still not knowing what we are in for! We felt the same way before our WDW trip in Dec, which turned out great! Merrick is a traveling man already...he's been to Texas, Cleveland and WDW already, so we've got the vacation thing down....just not the DCL thing. He is such a chill little guy...he travels much better than I do! Since DCL does such a great job at seperating everything, we've never paid much if any attention to the little guy activities! (Still weary of the crazy Mickey pool!:scared1: ) The intinerary should be great for our first post baby cruise....day at sea, one day at Nassau (probably won't venture off there) and two CC days! I am anxiously awaiting my Konk Kooler, the virgin one I had in Dec 06 just didn't taste right;) ! Tim's tradition is to be the first to grab a drink at Signals, so a new tradition will need to be started!

Well, Merrick is now feeding the dogs his waffles...they are gaining weight as fast as I am:rotfl: Best to you and your family....Have fun in October!!!!

Hi Two Foxes (now Three Foxes!)

I just wanted to drop by and say Congratulations on your new little "kit." I think we sailed together in the past (or were going to?) because I remember your name from the Cruise Meet threads. Maybe it was with Hurricane Mean Jeanne?

Anyway, it's always nice to see another Fox and I just wanted to wish you all the best with your new baby.

Cobra - living up to your name....when I have more time on my hands, perhaps I will go back, research your posts and twist them as I might....but alas, I have a 10 month old to keep an eye on;)

Was merely defending myself as you accused me of being out of context and unable to count, and now of "twisting posts" when I quoted you directly.

....oh and spa time, should we choose do it if it is financially feasible, doesn't require Flounder time, that would be mommy time and DH would be hanging with the little man.

You keep claiming I misinterpreted you, your OP stated "WHO WILL WATCH THE LITTLE ONE WHEN WE ARE AT THE SPA", yet now it's only going to be you, maybe.

GOOD LUCK!

Okay, so I have no clue how to cruise with a little guy! DH and I have enjoyed all on our 5 previous DCL cruises with no true worry of a budget, who will watch the little one when we are at the spa or how crowded the family beach is. So, in September we are headed for cruise shock and I am afraid! Our little man will be 15 mos and I have really NEVER paid any attention to what we could do with DS or better yet, how to do it and still have some adult time for DH and I!

Selfiishly, my only plans have been, so far, when DS will head to Flounders for a couple of hours. DH and I would like to hit Palo for dinner and/or Brunch, then enjoy a few hours on the adult beach on one of our double dip days.

Cobra-why I am responding to your last post....sometimes my common sense doesn't win over:rolleyes1 Kudos to you for doing a good job at hooking me into a bit of an argument:woohoo:

First paragraph of OP, things I have never worried about on our previous cruises. Second paragraph of OP, when I am planning to use Flounders on the cruise with the little man. Spa time is not listed. No plans for Flounders for spa time.

So I guess not only did I question your ability to count
(although that was not my intention), I am now questioning your ability to read facts and not "assume", as you have done continually throughout your responses. I have felt the need to defend my parenting by your assumtions, and that sucks. That beats out your need to feel to defend your ability to count....that is, of course, you are a math teacher or something...but then again, I don't know you from a hole in the wall.

Last time, peace out. Enjoy your future vacations.

Cobra-why I am responding to your last post....sometimes my common sense doesn't win over:rolleyes1 Kudos to you for doing a good job at hooking me into a bit of an argument:woohoo:

First paragraph of OP, things I have never worried about on our previous cruises. Second paragraph of OP, when I am planning to use Flounders on the cruise with the little man. Spa time is not listed. No plans for Flounders for spa time.

So I guess not only did I question your ability to count
(although that was not my intention), I am now questioning your ability to read facts and not "assume", as you have done continually throughout your responses. I have felt the need to defend my parenting by your assumtions, and that sucks. That beats out your need to feel to defend your ability to count....that is, of course, you are a math teacher or something...but then again, I don't know you from a hole in the wall.

Last time, peace out. Enjoy your future vacations.

Not a math teacher, or a hole in the wall.

Will anxiously be awaiting your trip report (not that I'm assuming you'll post one).

Peace.

We did the wonder with our 15 month old. She was a late walker so, we didn't have the usual walking problems. I highly recommend you book Flounder's every night if you can during dinner time & maybe the show. We had our dd with us for one dinner and she was a squirm worm the whole time. It was the 1st night. So, after that I booked her in flounders. But other than that I took her every where else. She enjoyed the shows. We used a stroller (smallish one that she could lay semi-flat in) for naps around the ship. She slept through like one Show and the movies and it was just easier for her to be in the stroller to do that. I know, some kids can't nap anywhere but a quiet dark room so this might not work for you.

To me vacationing with kids is no different than how you do things at home. I dream now about when we were DINKS and how easy it was to do things. Vacationing with kids is an adjustment and it takes some practice just like going to the grocery store with your children. My kids are now 7 and 10 and are well traveled. They have no trouble adjusting to new places now.

You have fun creating new memories...

Oh and don't be like my friends that compared their cruise to their honeymoon without children. They were so disappointed that they didn't have fun.

I NEVER thought about the walking on the ship....DS is a slow mover (doc jokes that it is all the weight he has to hold up with his big noggin!), so I am not sure exactly how mobile he'll be then, but never thought of the general movements of the ship.

Like I said, it may not be a problem since your little guy will likely be a better walker than Katie was. There is a big difference in walking between 10 months and 15. That said, Katie still fell down once or twice at age three because sadly for her, shes got her Mommy's grace and poise. ;)

Katie also had a huge head when she was little! We had trouble with outfits that had hats because the hat would always be too small. Luckily she *DID* grow into her head. :)

I am trying to put my claws away, and I admit they are out....Vacations are for the family....DH and I love Disney and want our son to be in on it, too, no matter how young or how much he can remember. I fully understand he won't remember it, but he will laugh, smile and have fun in the moment, which is priceless to me. My memories to see him have fun. It's not like I am dragging him to some horrible kid hating place for vacation where there is no place for him. This is Disney, right?

Just wait until your kids are a bit older...
These days we take two family vacations each year and my wife and I leave the kids with grandparents for one or two long weekend trips each year. And, since I have interests nobody else in the family shares, I usually take one or two trips alone each year.

When my first was just a few months old, leaving her with a sitter for a few hours while I took my wife to the ballet or a musical was really difficult. But after a few years I realized four or five days trips without the kids were really helpful for both my wife and myself. I am sure you will get there, too...

no matter how young or how much he can remember. I fully understand he won't remember it, but he will laugh, smile and have fun in the moment, which is priceless to me. My memories to see him have fun. It's not like I am dragging him to some horrible kid hating place for vacation where there is no place for him. This is Disney, right?

For the life of me, I'll never understand why people don't have this kind of attitude about their children. Or others' for that matter. If we're supposed to wait until they are 4 or 5 to "remember" it, then we would never take them to zoos, to movies, to parks. Why bother, they'll never remember it. :confused3 It'd be far easier to leave them locked in their rooms. Really, WE remember it, we have pictures of the whole family! How special is that! And every single thing we do with our children at ANY age, shapes how they grow. This whole having to be a certain age to remember it so you feel like your money was "well spent" is just bizarre! Have fun with your DS! We'll have our youngest DS turning 2 while on our very first cruise. We have a son that will be 9 on it as well. We will ALL have photos and memories! And it makes no difference that our money was spent on a child that can't remember it. Lord.:confused3 Should life be on hold as a family until everyone can remember everything? I think not!:goodvibes

For the life of me, I'll never understand why people don't have this kind of attitude about their children. Or others' for that matter. If we're supposed to wait until they are 4 or 5 to "remember" it, then we would never take them to zoos, to movies, to parks. Why bother, they'll never remember it. :confused3 It'd be far easier to leave them locked in their rooms. Really, WE remember it, we have pictures or the whole family! How special is that! And every single thing we do with our children at ANY age, shapes how they grow. This whole having to be a certain age to remember it so you feel like your money was "well spent" is just bizzarre! Have fun with your DS! We'll have our youngest DS turning 2 while on our very first cruise. We have a son that will be 9 on it as well. We will ALL have photos and memories! And it makes no difference that our money was spent on a child that can't remember it. Lord.:confused3 Should life be on hold as a family until everyone can remember everything? I think not!:goodvibes

Well said...

My kids are far a part in age but not by much and if we followed this philosophy our oldest would have been 7 or 8 years old before she went on a family vacation.

I always laugh when people stay just leave the kids home with the grandparents. Ha... my parents and dh's parents are old and in poor health. They could not handle a week or even weekend stay. I think, some people think that just because they have a great set of grandparents to help out that the rest of the world does too. We do go on vacations together with the grandparents. This makes them really happy.

Vacations are for the family....DH and I love Disney and want our son to be in on it, too, no matter how young or how much he can remember. I fully understand he won't remember it, but he will laugh, smile and have fun in the moment, which is priceless to me.

For the life of me, I'll never understand why people don't have this kind of attitude about their children. Or others' for that matter. If we're supposed to wait until they are 4 or 5 to "remember" it, then we would never take them to zoos, to movies, to parks. Why bother, they'll never remember it. :confused3 It'd be far easier to leave them locked in their rooms. Really, WE remember it, we have pictures of the whole family! How special is that! And every single thing we do with our children at ANY age, shapes how they grow. This whole having to be a certain age to remember it so you feel like your money was "well spent" is just bizarre!

As you'd guess, I'm right in line with these thoughts...I can tell you with absolute certainty that DD1 remembers the cruise, even though she was only 17mo. She sometimes asks us for "Bahama Braids" and whenever she sees a cruise ship she wants to go on the "boat"...she occasionally asks to see the pictures from the boat on my computer & many other things that are cruise specific...so, just like the same way that she asks to go feed the giraffes at the zoo (and knows exactly what & how to feed them), I'm a firm believer that kids are sponges and will absorb as much as you expose them to in order to make them well rounded people - besides, that look (and every child has one, and every parent knows it) when your child experiences pure glee, is worth any Class E ticket ride to me...:woohoo:

As MJ said, it'll be different but I assure you it'll actually be BETTER! :goodvibes

Some highlights of our cruise last time:
1 - Dancing at the Sailaway party
2 - Castaway Cay
3 - Fun times in our stateroom
4 - Characters
5 - Just watching the pure joy on the kids' faces because even though they were so young, they truely did have an awesome time.

My brief recommendations (because I wanted to post here now but have to get the kids breakfast):
1 - Possibly get a little more Flounders time than you might think you need. Our kids had trouble getting through dinners so next cruise we plan on only a couple of dinners in the dining rooms as a family but the kids will be inthe club/flounders during the others. They really don't want to sit there and wuold rather be playing.
2 - Try to keep to as much of a sleeping schedule with him as possible. Amelia had trouble with her behavior because she just wouldn't nap -- as I think back I think there must have been something we could have done better to help her get her much-needed nap.
3 - Don't have high expectations of doing a lot of what you and your husband have become so used to doing on the DCL. But that's ok, if you're anything like us (and from all our talks togehter I think we are), you WON'T WANT TO! ALl the adult things you used to do will be replaced with all the family things you'll want to do instead. Now, I'm not saying don't go and enjoy Palo or a spa treatment, but you won't want to do stuff like you did in the past. And it's WONDERFUL!

I know I dont' have to sell you on that. You're going to have a great time together. We simply cannot wait to get back on "Mickey's Boat" (Amelia calls it that) and make more memories.

:goodvibes

BTW, Ernie is doing GREAT! He has 8 teeth already (ouch, trust me LOL), is standing up and letting go, is into EVERYTHING including all his big sister's stuff and is just awesome. I cannot believe how much I love him! He's my little man. BTW, love your avatar! What a cutie!!! JIll, you are going to have an AWESOME TIME!!!

I didn't fabricate the perception that you were looking to repeat your previous cruise experiences but this time with a 15-month old.

Two-foxes, these are your words, not mine:

with the latter in the context of not having enough budget as the reasoning.

"As much as possible" may have been slightly exaggerated, but the perception you set forth in your OP was: I'm used to cruising as DINKs and I'm not ready to change that experience because kids interfere with your concept of relaxing or enjoying yourself.

CobraKai - in my opinion you should give it a rest. Its responses and confrontations like yours on the board that keep people from asking questions. She just wanted some perspective not your judgement about how she choses to divide up her time on her vacation.

My husband & I appreciate all the time on the cruise equally - time with our son and the time my husband and I get to ourselves, which makes us better, more relaxed, more engaged parents! Twofoxes Enjoy your vacation however you chose.

As MJ said, it'll be different but I assure you it'll actually be BETTER! :goodvibes

Some highlights of our cruise last time:
1 - Dancing at the Sailaway party
2 - Castaway Cay
3 - Fun times in our stateroom
4 - Characters
5 - Just watching the pure joy on the kids' faces because even though they were so young, they truely did have an awesome time.

My brief recommendations (because I wanted to post here now but have to get the kids breakfast):
1 - Possibly get a little more Flounders time than you might think you need. Our kids had trouble getting through dinners so next cruise we plan on only a couple of dinners in the dining rooms as a family but the kids will be inthe club/flounders during the others. They really don't want to sit there and wuold rather be playing.
2 - Try to keep to as much of a sleeping schedule with him as possible. Amelia had trouble with her behavior because she just wouldn't nap -- as I think back I think there must have been something we could have done better to help her get her much-needed nap.
3 - Don't have high expectations of doing a lot of what you and your husband have become so used to doing on the DCL. But that's ok, if you're anything like us (and from all our talks togehter I think we are), you WON'T WANT TO! ALl the adult things you used to do will be replaced with all the family things you'll want to do instead. Now, I'm not saying don't go and enjoy Palo or a spa treatment, but you won't want to do stuff like you did in the past. And it's WONDERFUL!

I know I dont' have to sell you on that. You're going to have a great time together. We simply cannot wait to get back on "Mickey's Boat" (Amelia calls it that) and make more memories.

:goodvibes

BTW, Ernie is doing GREAT! He has 8 teeth already (ouch, trust me LOL), is standing up and letting go, is into EVERYTHING including all his big sister's stuff and is just awesome. I cannot believe how much I love him! He's my little man. BTW, love your avatar! What a cutie!!! JIll, you are going to have an AWESOME TIME!!!

I read your trip report and it was great!!!! Ernie's little Goofy striped suit is so CUTE and he's a handsome little man! Amelia is just gorgeous! Merrick's teeth are coming in, but he stopped getting the "good stuff" in Dec at WDW....long story, and definitely details don't need to put here:guilty: It seems alot of folks use Flounders for part of dinner...we'll see how that goes. Merrick is super chill:goodvibes , but only time will tell as his little personality is developing more every day! He is very sensitive to noises and flashes (pictures don't go so well anymore), so I wonder how Pirate Night will go, but we have little ear muffs for him for the loudness if it gets too much!

I am in no way ashamed to admit that I am nervous (if that is the right word) about this cruise....people used to ask us how we could sail DCL without kids and I used to say I can't imagine sailing with kids:) But, now we get to do it and I am asking for all the tips I can get! I know all will go well, but as usual, I tend to overplan and I want to know what to expect when I can! We are going to try for #2 soon, and I guarantee that there probably won't be many cruises for a bit after that, if we are lucky;)

Thanks for your, and everyones, advice and support of the "tricks of the trade" with the little ones! I suppose if we never sailed before as a couple, I wouldn't be so unsure of what to expect, but that is why I am always on the DIS for that info!

I read your trip report and it was great!!!! Ernie's little Goofy striped suit is so CUTE and he's a handsome little man! Amelia is just gorgeous! Merrick's teeth are coming in, but he stopped getting the "good stuff" in Dec at WDW....long story, and definitely details don't need to put here:guilty: It seems alot of folks use Flounders for part of dinner...we'll see how that goes. Merrick is super chill:goodvibes , but only time will tell as his little personality is developing more every day! He is very sensitive to noises and flashes (pictures don't go so well anymore), so I wonder how Pirate Night will go, but we have little ear muffs for him for the loudness if it gets too much!

I am in no way ashamed to admit that I am nervous (if that is the right word) about this cruise....people used to ask us how we could sail DCL without kids and I used to say I can't imagine sailing with kids:) But, now we get to do it and I am asking for all the tips I can get! I know all will go well, but as usual, I tend to overplan and I want to know what to expect when I can! We are going to try for #2 soon, and I guarantee that there probably won't be many cruises for a bit after that, if we are lucky;)

Thanks for your, and everyones, advice and support of the "tricks of the trade" with the little ones! I suppose if we never sailed before as a couple, I wouldn't be so unsure of what to expect, but that is why I am always on the DIS for that info!
Can you believe our boys are going to be a year old already??? :scared1: My how time flies.

Best of luck with #2...you won't regret having them so close in age. It's tough at first but you do get into a groove and it's wonderful!

YOu are going to have an awesome time on the cruise with him! For how much fun you had on DCL prior to his birth, it's going to be a whole different kind of wonderful with him. :wizard:

If you have any other questions as the time draws closer, just ask! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter