• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise with teens

MillbrookMom

Looking forward to next trip
Looking for others that have cruised just with teens...perhaps you started when they were younger and just stayed with Disney, or like us, you are looking to do that one last Disney vacation before they leave the nest.

Our boys are 14 and 16 and we are looking somewhere within the next year and a half. We have done 2 other family cruises on other lines and loved them. We had once before booked a Disney cruise, but it just didn't work out. We traveled to Disney world once when they were 5 and 7. Both boys have asked about returning to Disney world for one last time, so I was thinking perhaps a Land vacation with a 3 or 4 night cruise on the end.

Just wondering what your teens thought of this cruise? or should we stick with a line like Royal Caribbean?

My 18yo only wants to cruise DCL and only wants to visit WDW and DL. We've done a couple of Carnival cruises when she was 14 and she didn't enjoy them at all.

Also, once I moved out of my parents' house that didn't stop us from taking WDW and DCL vacations together and I know my DD will be the same way.

depends on your boys. My kids refused to go to the clubs, and my 12yo made friends on deck and had a blast!! but my 18yo daughter was bored out of her mind for 5 days. I havent tried it on a cruise because its so expensive but when we go to DW we always let the older kids bring a friend along. It really seems to help enhance the experience.(and share the disney magic with someone who otherwise might not have the chance to)

I'm still stuck on "visit one LAST time"? :confused:

Me too. That's the reason I mentioned we never stopped taking vacations together even after I was married and had my own family.

I'm still stuck on "visit one LAST time"? :confused:

Sorry...one last time just the 4 of us to Disney. We too hope to continue to travel with our boys...as you can see from my Signature, we've done a lot of travelling and we want them to continue in the future with and without us. We suspect though as they grow, just the 4 of us won't be in the cards as much, if at all. We actually just did our first vacation with my inlaws in March and we all loved it...but that was after years of asking...so you just never know what the future holds. :confused3

I'm 18 (I was 17 on our cruise) and I have two sisters, ages 15 and 13. We all, along with my brother, parents, and grandparents as well, had a fantastic time on our cruise. We always found something fun do do, even though none of us girls went to the clubs, Vibe and Edge. There was never enough time in the day to do everything we wanted. You have the activities, shows (which were fantastic), characters to meet, family cabaret shows, meals, first run movies to watch, and the days at port to keep you busy. I personally enjoyed our trip very, very much. If your boys enjoy Disney, I'm sure they'd have a fun time on DCL.

If you have any specific questions, just let me know!

Really depends on your kids. My son was 18 and 19 on his last two cruises, and I will say that there were times he was bored. Once he started going to some of the lectures/seminars, though, he enjoyed them. It's a hard transition for the 18 - 20 year olds, I think. On the port heavy cruises, it seems easier for that age group. (We LOVED the Baltic ports.)

My second son is 17 1/2 and we just finished a cruise. He had fun in the Vibe and went to see the Avengers with friends, but he was one of the oldest in the Vibe. He passed on all the shows. A lot of sea days on our cruise and he got a bit restless.

Both my sons want to try another cruise line, although we all love the rotational dining that only DCL has.

My daughter is 13 1/2 and would be perfectly happy with DCL forever. She loves the "corny" factor more than my boys, though. My daughter definitely wants to be able to go on a DCL cruise after she turns 18 so she can finally go to Palo. My boys don't care about Palo.

So.....it all depends on your kids.

I definitely know how you feel about the "one last time". We have been to WDW 6 times and sailed DCL 1 time. As ours get older, it seems the WDW is losing the magic for them:sad1:Of course shouldn't have taken them on a cruise because now that's all they want to do and me and DH LOVE WDW. My dd16 has even said this next trip (WDW) will probably be her last for several years or until she has kids. Of course, she knows everything, she's 16. As long as the parents are paying, I don't know why any teen would not want to go on vacation. I have never been on a family vacation without every person in my family:sad2: Of course you mention Hawaii for mom and dad and all of a sudden they want to go.
Anyway, sorry I got off track but talking about last times. My girls were 9 and 12 when we went on DCL. They LOVED it. They don't care for carnival after going on DCL. With that said, because they loved it so much they want to go on another Disney cruise. We can only afford a disney cruise in October. DD16 will be going to college in 2 years and then when she graduates college, DD12 will be entering college. They are both very excited about our upcoming Disney cruise as they know it will be a long time before we see it again. If it were me and my boys are asking to go back to WDW and want to cruise, I would DEFINITELY go to WDW and then do a 4 day cruise. They can go on another cruise line anytime but disney may be that one chance of a lifetime. Either way, have a great time.

Hi. My girls were 14 and 16 on their first disney cruise. They LOVED it. Spent a healthy amount of time between family and vibe (teen club). In fact...they begged for another cruise which we had no intention to do....well Fantasy 2012 here we come!! LOL

Teens are teens no matter whether they are on a cruise, at home, or at school. My kids are 13 and 15 and they love DCL. There are times when they mope, are bored, but most of the time DCL has lots for them to do, or we just chill, go to a movie. It's an effort to get my son to go to the shows, but once he is there he likes it. Clubs are great, but each cruise is different as far as the mix of other kids around. They still love to eat ice cream any time of the day...

I think there will be a time they don't want dad around, or they will drift onto other vacations, but for now, DCL is the best for all of us.

As far as me, I told them they have to take me on a DC when I'm older and they have their kids.

Looking for others that have cruised just with teens...perhaps you started when they were younger and just stayed with Disney, or like us, you are looking to do that one last Disney vacation before they leave the nest.

Our boys are 14 and 16 and we are looking somewhere within the next year and a half. We have done 2 other family cruises on other lines and loved them. We had once before booked a Disney cruise, but it just didn't work out. We traveled to Disney world once when they were 5 and 7. Both boys have asked about returning to Disney world for one last time, so I was thinking perhaps a Land vacation with a 3 or 4 night cruise on the end.

Just wondering what your teens thought of this cruise? or should we stick with a line like Royal Caribbean?

My daughter is 16, and we went on the DCL Alaska cruise last year. (Admittedly, she is a Disney fan), and she had so much fun, she asked to go on another DCL cruise for her 16th birthday (after she qualified for the early college program, took the AP Bio test, and qualified to take the college's most difficult science class--I said yes :rolleyes1) She loved the teen club, and thought it was an absolutely great cruise.

The one thing I'll warn you is that if you're thinking gooey thoughts about spending time with your teens--good luck with that. Our daughter took off for Vibe on the second day, and from that day forward, with the exception of meals (at my insistence), and a couple of shore excursions, (also at my insistence), we did not see her between the end of breakfast and 10 p.m.

We went on our first DCL cruise when my boys were 13 and 15. The youngest boy ended up hanging out in the Stack and playing video games; the older one made a friend and they wandered the ship, getting special treatment from the CM's and Officers alike. Neither are Disney fanatics (I think in general boys tends to be less enamored by the whole Disney thing), but both said they wanted to do it again (on the last night of our cruise of course!). So unless they are in the more tricky 17-21 year old range, I would say they will find companions and fun things to do one way or another. :thumbsup2

My daughter is 16, and we went on the DCL Alaska cruise last year. (Admittedly, she is a Disney fan), and she had so much fun, she asked to go on another DCL cruise for her 16th birthday (after she qualified for the early college program, took the AP Bio test, and qualified to take the college's most difficult science class--I said yes :rolleyes1) She loved the teen club, and thought it was an absolutely great cruise.

The one thing I'll warn you is that if you're thinking gooey thoughts about spending time with your teens--good luck with that. Our daughter took off for Vibe on the second day, and from that day forward, with the exception of meals (at my insistence), and a couple of shore excursions, (also at my insistence), we did not see her between the end of breakfast and 10 p.m.

Your DD was exactly like me the last time I cruised. I loved the teen club. My parents didn't see me much with the exception of shore excursions, the shows and dinner. I spent 14 hours of my cruise there.

We recently did our first Disney Cruise. We have LOVED going to the parks and really wanted to do the cruise. Finally...we got to do it, we loved it an cannot wait to go again! My DS is 17 (this was his graduation gift) and DD is 13. I would say both of my kids are very outgoing, talkative and make friends easily. My DS LOVED Vibe. As a matter of fact, he spent the majority of his time in there. We saw him for the shows and dinner or if there was an event we had decided to attend together. He went to all of their special events and really had a great time. The kids even did a Facebook page and keep in touch with one another.
Mt DD is usually a social butterfly but she was a bit stand offish on the cruise. I believe she felt too old for Edge but too young for Vibe (they invited her to both). I think she felt some of the events in Edge were boring. She hung out with us during the day a bit but would go to the club for an hour here or there. About 1/2 way through the trip she hooked up with some other girls her age and they had a great time. She would spend several hours at night there and really had fun. One of her favorite nights was the Pajama Party. The kids wore their PJ's and at 11:45 or so they took them to the midnight chocolate buffet before the crowds...they loved this. Goofy them made an appearance and they danced and acted silly. She came back to the cabin with all of her new friends autographs on a pillow case...it was one of the highlights of the trip for her.

They said it was awesome and definitely want to go again. I am hoping to have many more years of Disney and other vacations with my kids...even though they are older.:goodvibes

DS was 1 month shy of 17 on our last cruise. He liked the Vibe enough that he went there throughout the day. He met some older biys his age and they ran around the ship together. This one hasd always been an "older" soul, but he had a great time. DS and DD were 14 and they LOVED the Vibe, I think it is geared toward the 14, 15, 16 age group. I am planning on cruising DCL unless I have an 18yr old, then we will do RCCL that year, or do an extended WDW trip.

OP-you said that your oldest son is 16 and are planning a trip to take place in the next 1-1/2 years. One suggestion I might make would be to take that trip before he turns 18. It kinda changes things from a teen club prospective-vs him being another adult traveler I would think it would be nice for them to be able to lean on each other if they wanted to in the clubs.

OP-you said that your oldest son is 16 and are planning a trip to take place in the next 1-1/2 years. One suggestion I might make would be to take that trip before he turns 18. It kinda changes things from a teen club prospective-vs him being another adult traveler I would think it would be nice for them to be able to lean on each other if they wanted to in the clubs.

That's what I was going to suggest too....they can't go in the vibe after turning 18. Our DS (15) loved the Vibe on our May cruise on the Dream. We rarely saw him, except for meals. Thank goodness for the phones so we could keep in touch with him! For us, we get alot of couple's time because the kids are so happy with the clubs, but also get family time. Disney Cruising is the perfect vacation for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter