Cruise with a broken foot

dhutchin12

Mouseketeer
Hi. I am going to be cruising soon and have a broken foot in an air cast. I broke it 7 weeks ago and am doing okay; however, the healing is taking awhile. Has anyone cruised with an injured leg or foot? Any advice you can offer? Thank you.

Hi. I am going to be cruising soon and have a broken foot in an air cast. I broke it 7 weeks ago and am doing okay; however, the healing is taking awhile. Has anyone cruised with an injured leg or foot? Any advice you can offer? Thank you.
DH had an almost healed broken foot when we went on our first family cruise in 2019.

Depending on who's going with you, I'd try to minimize the amount of luggage you or someone else needs to carry. I ended up carrying everything while he minded the kid.

Don't be afraid to ask to borrow a wheelchair in port if necessary.

As long as he had his crutches, people usually tried not to bump into him, so you might use it to maintain space/balance if necessary.

Elevators might be annoying depending on which ship you're on, so maybe plot a less used route + make sure you have a blocker to hold the elevator for you.

Doctor said he could take the boot off to go in the water, so we made sure we got a space early to be able to be near the pool so he didn't have to move too far (although if its crowded, I might not want to risk anyone bumping into me).

Ask about the handicapped access to the theater at guest services if you are still having issues with stairs.

We sailed with a friend who broke his foot a few days before travelling. He was in a cast. The only thing I can add to what was said by PP is that you can ask for a golf cart lift on Castaway Cay if your cruise stops there. They will bring you from the ship to the tram stop.

In our case, we had a cabana and invited him, so they brought him from the ship to the cabana directly, and back to the ship at the end of the day.

Thank you both for your kind comments and advice. I am traveling with my child. She is old enough to help with the luggage, but I will probably end up needing to handle it. I cannot do the stairs in the theater. I will ask about an alternate entrance. Thank you for letting me know about this.

I am hoping I will be okay without crutches. I am doing okay’ish at home without them. I think I have to convince myself to take it a bit easy when there. I usually like to take the stairs when I can to work off the delicious food I’m eating. :)

Bring the crutches (or just a crutch) in case you over do it. You don't want to push through the pain and then suddenly not be able to take another step...(and be stuck at the dishwasher unable to move begging your 2 yr old to bring you crutches or whatever the cruise ship equivalent is.) Also, a lift to add to your regular shoes is very helpful in minimizing the hip and back pain when walking in an air cast.

We sailed with a friend who broke his foot a few days before travelling. He was in a cast. The only thing I can add to what was said by PP is that you can ask for a golf cart lift on Castaway Cay if your cruise stops there. They will bring you from the ship to the tram stop.

In our case, we had a cabana and invited him, so they brought him from the ship to the cabana directly, and back to the ship at the end of the day.
I wonder if anyone with mobility issues could request this or if it's just for broken limbs.

I cruised last year with bum leg (prior to surgery), on crutches. A few pieces of advice not listed above:
1. Get an accessible stateroom, if only for the seat in the shower (safety!)
2. Rent a scooter (they will deliver it to your stateroom)
3. Check out the handicap bathrooms on a map ahead of time, they're hard to find!
4. Shops are tight on a scooter, even when not crowded
5. While on the crutches (before access to cabin and scooter) be careful. Going to buffet means pool area, and wet surfaces (on crutches)
6. Don't know if you're flying, but if so, arrange ahead of time with the airport and they will have a wheelchair to take you to the gate(s)

I went on a cruise with a broken foot and had a great time! my tips - bring a knee scooter for general areas! also be prepared for awkward times in the elevators if you use a scooter - everyone else is facing forwards and you usually end up facing backwards and so it feels like they are all staring at you! We got off at the port but didnt stay long because the roads were bumpy and awkward and I couldn't really swim. so, it might be more fun to stay on the ship. I still such a fun time and am glad I went!

I also did not let it stop me from trying anything - I even got in the hot tub a couple times.

Thank you for your responses and tips. When I first broke it, I was basically non weight bearing. I have now progressed to a boot with no crutches; however, when I walk a bit too much, I wish I was using the crutches. We have vacationed as a family since this happened and I had to be in a wheelchair. I won’t need that or be able to do that this time; however, I think I may possibly need the crutches at time. I can do basic stairs; however, theater stairs are too much. I will look into the alternate entrance.

My child is a teenager and I’m sure she will be happy to help. I just want to give her a nice trip and still be able to do all the fun activities we would normally do.

I agre
Bring the crutches (or just a crutch) in case you over do it. You don't want to push through the pain and then suddenly not be able to take another step...(and be stuck at the dishwasher unable to move begging your 2 yr old to bring you crutches or whatever the cruise ship equivalent is.) Also, a lift to add to your regular shoes is very helpful in minimizing the hip and back pain when walking in an air cast.
I am almost two years out from a severely broken ankle (I went to WDW with a scooter and walker 11 weeks post-injury, but that's a whole 'nother story), and I agree with the above. At the very least, bring a folding cane. I had one I could stick in my sling bag when I wasn't using it, but I kept it with me anywhere I might be in a crowd for the first 18 months. Even when I didn't really NEED the cane, it was useful to stand with it blocking access to my bad foot when I was standing in a crowd. People who see you holding a cane will be more careful not to run into you (and if they do, they'll run into the cane first).

I also agree with a lift for the opposite shoe!

Also, if you don’t have an handicap room or can’t get one, they do have a limited amount of showers chairs. It keeps you safer in a slippery area. The best elevators are aft or forward on the ships except wish where all the elevators are all in the same place. Give yourself extra time. For example, we go down at 30 minutes before we have to be to dinner or any other busy times. Good luck!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter