• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise vs. WDW?

ChicagoMom

Mouseketeer
We're on our way this week to WDW and I'm already thinking about the next trip. How does DCL compare to WDW? Besides the obvious...no rides. We've cruised before on Carnival.

I think what I want for our next vacation is something that is completely stress free. No ADRs at 6 months and no FPs at 2 months and then messing around with them for weeks before the trip, KWIM?

Does a Disney cruise have the fun and magic of the parks (seriously, my heart flutters when I see the castle)? The little things in the park that make them special, the characters, etc.

Which level of resorts do the ships compare to? How does a cruise compare to WDW in terms of value?

I guess it also depends on which cruise ship and which itinerary. Larger ship has the Aquaduct.

I would say... the cruise ship is better for younger kids (character pictures) while older kids would prefer the park rides.

What do others think?

We're on our way this week to WDW and I'm already thinking about the next trip. How does DCL compare to WDW? Besides the obvious...no rides. We've cruised before on Carnival.

I think what I want for our next vacation is something that is completely stress free. No ADRs at 6 months and no FPs at 2 months and then messing around with them for weeks before the trip, KWIM?

Does a Disney cruise have the fun and magic of the parks (seriously, my heart flutters when I see the castle)? The little things in the park that make them special, the characters, etc.

Which level of resorts do the ships compare to? How does a cruise compare to WDW in terms of value?

I'm sorry, we've done WDW and DCL, and I can't make any comparison. I agree that (for the most part) younger kids will most likely like DCL better, due to the better character interaction/availability. Older kids, who are probably more inclined to enjoy the rides will enjoy WDW better.

That being said, different kids like different things.

Each venue (WDW or DCL) is distinctly Disney in it's own world. WDW you're on the go, go, go all the time - it's very tiring and fun. DCL you're more relaxed, enjoying shows and excursions (if you do them) - much more laid back.

I'd probably put the rooms onboard anywhere from a moderate upwards, depending on whether you go for suites/Concierge or not.

We do both and if you want stress free cruising is absolutely the way to go. Don't listen to them that preteens and teens will hate it. My niece and nephew love cruising! They also have been cruising and jet setting since they were little though. The kids clubs and youth activities really give them a lot to do on top of the shows, movies and meeting new people.

I think it's like comparing apples to oranges. As others have already said cruising, in general, is a relaxing vacation. When I really want to unwind for a vacation, nothing beats a cruise (Disney or other, although from I hear, Disney is a more upscale cruise-I'll be sailing on my first DCL this December, but I have a cruised many times on other lines)

The parks are fun in their own right, a great way to let off steam as you are on the go all the time, I love rides, and I actually prefer Universal to WDW as I like the roller coasters and adult rides...but whichever park you go to, it's a break from the norm and lots of fun. I also like the resort stays, I've only been to moderate at WDW, but usually stay at the Portofino or Hardrock at Universal and those can be very relaxing after a day at the park. I ALWAYS finish off the day with a dip in the pools/hot tubs and a drink in hand.:beach:

I'm really not difficult to please though, any time away from the hustle and bustle of work and normal everyday stress makes me a happy camper.

We've been to Disneyland multiple times every year since 2005, when our kids were 4&5, been to WDW 5 times, and on 3 Disney cruises, kids are now 13&14 and the only vacays they want are on a Disney ship. Comparing WDW and DCL is apples and oranges, they're both great but in different ways. My kids love the independence they have on the ships, it's one week when we don't enforce the fruits and veggies rules, they go to bed and get up whenever they want, eat as many Krispy Kreme donuts as they want, get ice cream, pizza, burgers and dogs, and don't even get me started on the Mickey pretzels and ice cream bars. We have tons of fun doing the filly activities and trivia games, seeing shows, etc.

I would give a cruise a try, if you're really unsure do both, but do WDW first for a few days then do a 4 or 5 night cruise. I don't recommend a 3 nighter, they're way too short. Just be prepared for a new Disney addiction if you do a DCL vacay.

I used to be a huge WDW nut, and while I do still love the parks, I'll choose a cruise over a visit to WDW almost anytime now... The cruises are just such a better value, in my eyes. My boyfriend and I love eating at nice restaurants, so cruising is a huge value to us. We've priced out similar meals and trips to WDW and they've been out of this world!

We also like that cruising is sort of like staying on a deluxe resort with everything included. I'm someone who absolutely loves thrill rides and other Disney rides, but I was surprised by the fact that I didn't really miss them while cruising. It's a nice alternative. Also, I've noticed that the crew members of DCL are nicer and better at their jobs than WDW cast members, on average.

I'd cruised once with RC before giving DCL a try. I hated the RC cruise I went on... It felt like 4 days trapped on a boring boat! I'm glad I gave cruising a second chance with DCL - I'm addicted! :cloud9:

And yes... DCL has all the magic of the parks! This is coming from someone whose heart also flutters at the sight of the WDW welcome gates and the castle, haha. I get a little teary eyed everytime I hear the cruise ship's song horn!

We did both last time. 3 nights WDW and 3 night cruise. It was so great! It is all you make of it but since it was our first cruise we didn't relax very much. We were still up till 1 or 2 am and then up at 6 am. ::yes::
My DS even took a quick nap on the cruise! That is the first nap he has had in probably 5 or 6 years! I even took a picture. :laughing:

We loved it so much we have the same planned again for our 2015 trip. That way we don't feel like we missed out on WDW or DCL. Best of both "worlds". :goodvibes

I guess it also depends on which cruise ship and which itinerary. Larger ship has the Aquaduct.

I would say... the cruise ship is better for younger kids (character pictures) while older kids would prefer the park rides.

What do others think?

I think the complete opposite. I think WDW is for little kids and older kids would enjoy a cruise more. My kids are 10 and 12 and would rather cruise. They have out grown most of the rides at WDW and prefer Universal now. They would still choose a cruise over Universal though.

I give my kids a lot of freedom on the ships that may be why they like it so much, but I realize every family is different.

It is difficult to compare as they are different types of vacations.

My 9 year old loves, loves rides but would choose a Disney cruise over WDW any day! She loves the beaches, pool, aquaduck/dunk, kids club, shows and activities, abundance of ice cream, and so on! :banana:

And there is definitely a ton of Disney magic on a cruise! pixiedust:

If you book a cruise on the Disney Fantasy, or the Disney Dream, you'll have access to the AquaDuck. If you cruise on the Disney Magic, you'll have access to the AquaDunk. Do a Youtube search for both to see these first-in-the-industry roller coasters at sea. If you are a Disney fan, you will fall in love with DCL. Seriously! However, if you feel as if you can't live without the park experience, give a land-sea Disney vacay a try. You can cruise first then visit WDW, or the other way around. As far as making a comparison between the ships' staterooms and WDW resort rooms, I would say DCL is more like Deluxes at WDW. Even without Concierge, the level of service is generally above what you'd find in the parks. So in short, yes you'll find all the fun and magic of the Disney parks on the high seas sailing with DCL. Have fun planning! :goodvibes

you

If you want totally stress free, do a cruise next time. If you sail on the Dream or Fantasy your heart will flutter when you hear the ships horn belt out some Disney tunes, especially, "when you wish upon a star" :goodvibes

The dining is all done for you, you only have to figure our first seating or second.

The character meet and greets are all over the place throughout the day. One day, the kids and I were in the main lobby, just looking around the vast atrium, and then all of a sudden my kids hear... "hello lost boy, hello lost girl", it was Peter Pan jogging past over to the railing to let out his "rooster call" on his way to the meet and greet.. It was great, little magical things like that happen on the ships.pixiedust:

The Disney shows are perfect for all ages and have all the Disney splendor that you would expect.

Don't forget Pirates in the Caribbean night, with a touch of Disney magic, fireworks!

Do a cruise with Disney, you will love it., but book early, the price typically goes up closer to the sail date.

We are wdw crazy people. I love the resorts, and parks! We took our first dcl cruise last year and have another booked for feburary. We are skipping wdw. As much as I adore wdw I am sick if the crowds, waiting in lines forever, everything is extra..park hoppers, dining plan etc. With a cruise no park hoppers, food is included etc. We get our disney fix and the boat is enough entertainment for us. We don't do excursions, we sail cl and that is our treat. With the confusion and mess with fast pass + we will be doing more cruises for our vacations. Our ds is 17 and wants his high school graduation gift to be a disney cruise. :thumbsup2. Works for us!

I am also on the side that (my) older kids prefer the cruise to the parks--they are 9 and 11. Last year we went to DW for 6 days and an Alaskan cruise. They both chose a cruise for the next vacation with NO HESITATION. They aren't "character kids" AT ALL but love the atmosphere, the clubs, the fun, the relaxation that is DCL. As an adult, I LOVE DCL so much more than DW--as stated previously, it's so much easier and more of a vacation.

I'll be honest. After taking our first cruise last month, I'm not sure we'll ever go to the parks again. My 4 and 6 year old HATED the parks after our cruise. They said they were such a letdown and just keep begging to go back on the ship. It was a far better vacation for us adults as well.

Totally night and day comparisons :goodvibes

I love the parks but I think after my husband takes a cruise, he will never step foot into the parks again. LOL There is SO MUCH to do on the ship and at the ports and it is so much more leisurely. No ADR's, no FP's and in general, it's a very chillaxed vibe :)

I don't mind being a park commando but DH is a layed back and wing it kind of guy. Unfortunately you can't have that type of WDW vacation anymore with all the changes :(

You must take your kids on a Disney Cruise!! This is the determination my wife and I just came to after years and years of disney world vacations!! We have taken our children on some incredible vacations and now we have serious regrets that we never took them on a disney cruise! They are mostly grown now and in college. We had cruised before and the kids enjoyed the carnival cruise they went on. But we just couldn't believe how wonderful the DCL cruise was !! If you can afford it, and that's no easy feat, then you, must take them on one!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm a DCL vet but not a Parks person. We did MK before one day for DD (5) and MNSSHP after but I just don't know how anyone can do a week there. But the one thing I really love about the cruise is it makes us deplug from the phone, iPad etc. If you really want, you can check mail etc but we don't and it simply creates more family bonding than at the parks and resorts IMHO.

I'm a DCL vet but not a Parks person. We did MK before one day for DD (5) and MNSSHP after but I just don't know how anyone can do a week there. But the one thing I really love about the cruise is it makes us deplug from the phone, iPad etc. If you really want, you can check mail etc but we don't and it simply creates more family bonding than at the parks and resorts IMHO.

Hmmm, interesting. I get what you say about unplugging and thus having more family bonding. And I fully admit that I have not done a Disney Cruise with my children, although I have done a Carnival cruise with them. But I politely disagree about bonding being better on a cruise. On the cruises I noticed that many families split up and go do their age appropriate activities. Whereas, at the parks it would seem less likely for a family to rarely split up.

My wife and I just got off the fantasy without our children. I had the thought that it seems as though we would actually spend more time together at the parks than on the ship. I would be interested to hear from families who have done both and whether they spent more time together at the parks or on the ship?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter