• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise vs. Land and Sea vs. Land On

MillbrookMom

Looking forward to next trip
Just wondering how many people just cruise? and why? Do the land and Sea? and why ..........and do you still do just Disney?

The kids really want to go back to Disney and are trying to decide if we want to just go there for a week, or try a land and sea. :confused3

MillbrookMom said:
Do the land and Sea? and why
We did the land/sea this time last year and enjoyed it so much that we will be doing it again in February. Coming from Colorado, we can't see flying to Florida to cruise Disney and not going to WDW, too. Unfortunately, we don't have enough vacation time to spend several days at WDW followed by a 7-day cruise.

We are going on our second "just cruise" in August; a 7 day. I guess we don't do a 7 day w/ a WDW visit b/c it's hard to take off more than one week of work at a time (although this time we will take a day at a Disney water park first).

We do the 7 day b/c I LOVE the ship and want to be immersed in the DCL culture when I'm there. I even prefer the Eastern just to have that extra day at sea (one less port!).

Our first DCL cruise came a year after we had been to the parks, so the kids "had just been there". You don't mention the ages of your children - if they are elementary and had never been to WDW, I would suggest going to park only to immerse yourselves in WDW magic! If you've been to the parks, and they really want to do parks again, then a Land/Sea is a great sampler!

BTW, I still go back to WDW every fall for an "adults only" trip - I tend to forget the kids haven't been there in about 2 years! :rolleyes1 We have family near Orlando, so I know they'll have another opportunity to go to the parks in the future.

So, I've rambled (sorry!);in short:

Everyone should have the opportunity to do the parks at least once!

Land/Sea is a great opportunity to do both.

For me, a 3 or 4 day would be too rushed (again, that's just for me!); I love having the 7 day cruise to just "live" on the ship, experience that other aspect to Disney. Just the difference too, I guess, of whether you want a theme park vacation this year or a cruise.

Either way, you won't go wrong!!! Happy Planning! pixiedust: :dumbo: :goofy: :smickey: :tink: pooh:

PoohJen said:
You don't mention the ages of your children - if they are elementary and had never been to WDW, I would suggest going to park only to immerse yourselves in WDW magic! If you've been to the parks, and they really want to do parks again, then a Land/Sea is a great sampler!

Our children are currently 8 and 10 (birthdays are March, April) and we did to WDW in March of 04. We want to go again before they get too old as I know some kids who still loved it as teens and other that were all about Universal instead. We've never cruised before and thought that the land/sea might be a good way to get our feet wet.

We have always done the 7 day cruises. Our first we planned to just do the cruise...had never been to WDW before. DH decided later to stay at WDW for a couple days & do one day at MK. That was a good introduction to Disney for us BUT if I had the choice of doing on or the other...I would go straight to the Magic & never set foot in the parks again. The kids love it. It is more relaxing...no stressful running all over & standing in line forever. The kids can go to the club which actually lets you have some down time. :) Since we drive down from NC, we do plan a couple days at WDW before the cruises...that is just because we don't go to FL a lot.

We have two boys (currently 12 & 9) and can only go once a year for a long week (8-9 nights). We alternate between WDW only and cruise+WDW. We never do the Land-Sea package, just book separately.

Our first cruise was a 3-night, our second and third (this Dec) 4-night. While it might be fun to do a 7-night cruise sometime, it would leave virtually no time for WDW, and 2 years is just too long between WDW trips. So a 7-night cruise isn't happening in the near future.

We did the land/sea in March and the kids had a ball - mine are 5.5 and 3 and they are still talking about going back. I can't imagine going that close to Disney without visiting the parks for a few days.

Happy Cruising!

We usually try to fit a trip to WDW in whenever we are leaving from a cruise, even if the ship leaves from a south Florida port. Sometimes, it's not possible because of school schedules during spring break, and the kids have only a week off. We try to get to WDW at least once a year, since we have a timeshare in Orlando, but when we miss longer than 1 or 1 1/2 years, I look forward to going back. Haven't been on the 7 night Magic yet, but I think going on that cruise would fulfill that need to get to the parks, if I didn't have the time to go to WDW.

Lynne

We did land only over Christmas -- our first trip -- for 5 days. We feel there is so much more to see that we want to go back to WDW, but also I want to cruise with my family so we are combining the best of both. Land first (with an extra day on the front), then a 4-day cruise to hopefully relax a bit after the pace we keep at WDW.

Last month we did 4 days at wdw and a 4 day cruise. It was wonderful but not enough of either. We wont try to do both again. Next year we are going to try and do a 7 day cruise and then the following year 7 days in the parks. It was great so maybe give it a try then you will know what you like best! The cruise was great and very relaxing for us. The parks were so much fun and our son loved the rides and charectors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter