Cruise Ship Etiquette?

These are all wonderful; some obvious, and some not so obvious.

What it all boils down to is a very basic concept: contrary to what you hear in the movies or TV, it's not "all about you", and that everyone onboard, from the smallest child to the captain, deserves as much respect as you do. (Yes, it's YOUR vacation, YOU paid for it, but so did everyone else; you're no more (or less) entitled to have a good vacation then they are.)

Respect means considering someone else's beliefs, opinions, culture, language, values, and even presence, even if you don't understand or agree with them. It's usually the little things that show the most respect: general politeness and civility, acknowledgment of others (whether it be a heart-felt "good morning", or a simple nod of the head), consideration of those around you (e.g. not slamming doors or leaving strollers in the passageways(!)), following the established rules (e.g not sending your tween to the theatre a hour before the show starts to save a block of 20 seats for your party who isn't planning to arrive until 2 minutes before).

Respect also manifests itself in ways that you may not understand or agree with, but should at least consider (dress codes at dinner, for example--just because they're not enforced doesn't mean that they can be ignored [why would they even exist if there was no expectation that people would follow them?]; although it may be a slight inconvenience for you, it can make a difference to how others experience the simple act of dining.).

I think that if people gave just a tiny bit more consideration to those around them, they'd find that it not only makes the cruise more enjoyable for others, but it makes the cruise more enjoyable for themselves as well.

Wish the boards had a "like" button. Very well said and relevant to every area of life, not just cruising :thumbsup2 !

- Bree

Don't walk around the ship in your bathing suit without a cover up LOL
I live in Miami and we don't cover up when walking about so if you see my DD's and I going on our way in our bathing suit's just say "they are form Miami" LOL LOL it is way to HOT to put cover ups on OK if I go to eat lunch other then the fast food then yes I'll put a dress over my suit but if I am going to the pool or at the pool going to get something NO I am not going to cover up. TO me some just OVER think things (what others do or don't do) WHO CARES I don't care what you wear or don't wear how you act or don't act be who you are and live your life and HAVE FUN!!!!! I care only what my family is doing or not doing or who they make me look and for the best 38 years I have have never been told off for what I do or don't do) OK from my mom or dad LOL
I just wish we would just believe the best in eachother:) when you see someone NOT dress the way you think they need to be maybe to them that is the best they have.

Don't take other peoples Fish Extenders, or FE gifts/magnets from their doors.
Don't take their clothes either.

Please wash your hands before going to the buffet.

Offer to take a picture of the group in front of you in line with their camera.

When walking around the INTERIOR of the ship/hotel a cover up is appropriate. Out on deck no one expects to see everyone in a coverup.

MJ

Take the hand wipe without complaint in the line for dinner (unless you have a medical reason not to use one). I am shocked at how many people are offended that a cast member is suggesting they should wash their hands.

Hand washing is good....just do it.

since i travel with toddlers...

I wish people didn't rush the elevators when I've been clearly standing there waiting for an empty elevator to fit my stroller/kids and I...I always let the people who are standing first in when I need to use an elevator....but maybe that's not how it goes? you snooze you lose? I think I spent most of my time battling people/elevators. (and you know the ships elevators are small already!!)

Oh boy, I so agree with this. It's kind of like standing in line at the grocery store and they open a new line, so all the people in the BACK of the line rush over to the new one and get out first. Very irritating. I have made my voice heard loud and clear in this situation..."I've been waiting..." Sometimes it's just a case of being oblivious; other times it's a case of being rude.

It also helps to step OUT of the elevator when it comes to someone else's floor so they can get out. Don't worry, it won't leave without you, but it sure helps those in the back get out easily.

Take the hand wipe without complaint in the line for dinner (unless you have a medical reason not to use one). I am shocked at how many people are offended that a cast member is suggesting they should wash their hands.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! Pleeeaase wash your hands! :flower3:

A couple I have not seen mentioned (but I may easily have missed something so I apologize if I repeat):

If you know you will not be dining in the main dining rotation for dinner (you have Palo reservations or plan to eat at the buffet, etc) tell your waitstaff the night before. If you decide not to that day, try to swing by your assigned dining room at or before your dining time and tell the head waiter at the podium your table number and that you will not be dining tonight. Otherwise your table-mates and waiters do not know if they should be waiting for you or not.

There are limited elevators on the ship and it is truly necessary to change floors a lot. If several people who clearly need the elevator are waiting (those in wheel chairs or with strollers, etc) and you only have 1-2 floors to move nad are able to do so--take the stairs (besides, your waistline will thank you;))

Do not save seats at show (1 seat while a member of your party is in the restroom is fine---but half a row while everyone else is still getting ready is RUDE).

Call room service to pick up your tray when finished rather than sticking it out in the hallway to trip people and get in the way of wheel chairs.

To add to this. If you must bring the gigantic stroller, please park it in your cabin not in the hallway. The hallways are narrow enough without adding stroller parking. ;) Not to sound harsh, but if it is too big to store in your cabin it's probably too big for the ship.

I agree completely. While I am sure there are special situations, overall I really do not see a need for strollers on the ships. Mine were 10 months and 2 on our first DCL cruise and we did not take a stroller even then:confused3 I think they are a lot more trouble than they are worth--but if you need or want one that is fine just do not leave it out in the hallway to inconvenience others.

Maybe it is just me- but I tell my boys that since they are able bodied and not little kids anymore, if they aren't going more than a couple of decks up or down, take the stairs, not the elevators. In fact, for my fit teenage boys, unless they are going from the bottom of the ship to the top, they take the stairs. The elevators get quite crowded- we save them for people with little kids, wheelchairs, tired adults, etc. That being said, we certainly don't judge people who appear to be able bodied and are using the elevator for a deck or 2. As the parent of a child with an "invisible" disability ( heart problem), you never know someone's situation.

I usually wash my hands before going to meals, and I still take the wipe if offered. But then I got used to washing my hands at every opportunity while serving in Iraq. Sometimes it just pays to be careful....if not just considerate of others (as I would hope they are doing for me...).

There are limited elevators on the ship and it is truly necessary to change floors a lot. If several people who clearly need the elevator are waiting (those in wheel chairs or with strollers, etc) and you only have 1-2 floors to move nad are able to do so--take the stairs (besides, your waistline will thank you;)

As a general rule I try to take the stairs if its only a few floors regardless of where I'm at - on a ship or in a building. Its good exercise and besides who wants to wait and wait for an elevator then play sardine for several floors. I figure the folks who have trouble walking or have small children need the elevator more than I do.

While at the Walt Disney theater don't sit so far away from your children that a stranger has to ask them to be quiet after they have talked through the majority of the show. It may have helped if the parents had told them before hand to be quiet but even after I politely asked a group of three boys they continued to talk. I had no problem saying something to the kids but it had no effect and my children and I had a hard time hearing over them.

I think THIS is the best and most important thread on the Dis, because none of us get to be the only Guest on the ship. Everyone who visits the Dis cruise boards for tips about booking, itineraries, excursions, room reports, trip reports, rumors, news and more should take the time to read this thread first, for their own sake and for the sake of everyone they sail with! :thumbsup2

This is from personal experience on our recent Med. cruise:

Although you may let junior cry himself to sleep at home for over a half hour, it is NOT appropriate in a stateroom with an adjoining door; same goes for when junior wakes up screaming at 5:00am - please PLEASE PLEASE do not let him cry himself back to sleep for over a half hour. It keeps up the stateroom next door who really need to sleep at those times of the night:headache::scared1:

Along the same lines:

If you are sick of hearing junior scream in your room, please do not park him in his stroller outside another guests stateroom door as chances are they do not like listening to him either

BTW for those that are interested, the above scenario happened just about every day / night on our 11 night cruise. We still had a FABULOUS time as we weren't in our stateroom all that often.

:laughing:
Don't leave your laundry in the machines and not come back for it.

MJ

In all my years of college and gradschool, I never once did this. But......

on the last day on the dream, all the bathing suits and coverups were soaked and i didn't want to pack them wet to sit overnight in the suitcases and get moldy. So I had a plan. While I was getting ready for dinner, I had my husband go figure out the mystery of how to use the dryer so the clothes could be put into the dirty clothes suitcase dry prior to putting the suitcases out in the hall for the stewards. Once I got ready for dinner, I would go and get them after the 45 minute cycle. Well, with three kids I got distracted and forgot. That night - we went to dinner, came back, put the suitcases out, went to the show and enjoyed the night. WE then came back and went to sleep. At four am I AWOKE IN A PANIC! I knew I had left the clothes in the dryer and forget someone else taking them, I was worried they would be discarded by the staff as they were readying the ship for the new folks the next day!!!!! Not only that, I panicked that my family would be furious that I had lost their favorite swimsuits! I quickly got dressed and rushed down the hall to find all of our clothes in the dryer - safe and sound - I got them and stuffed them into an extra shopping back I'd kept for some reason and voila - no worse off! But a good story to tell!:laughing::scared1::laughing:

This is from personal experience on our recent Med. cruise:

Although you may let junior cry himself to sleep at home for over a half hour, it is NOT appropriate in a stateroom with an adjoining door; same goes for when junior wakes up screaming at 5:00am - please PLEASE PLEASE do not let him cry himself back to sleep for over a half hour. It keeps up the stateroom next door who really need to sleep at those times of the night:headache::scared1:

Along the same lines:

If you are sick of hearing junior scream in your room, please do not park him in his stroller outside another guests stateroom door as chances are they do not like listening to him either

BTW for those that are interested, the above scenario happened just about every day / night on our 11 night cruise. We still had a FABULOUS time as we weren't in our stateroom all that often.

Perhaps they could put him in the stroller out on the veranda? :rotfl:

Yeah, thats pretty bad.

I thought it would be good to define the word.

Etiquette

1. the customs or rules governing behaviour regarded as correct or acceptable in social or official life
2. a conventional but unwritten code of practice followed by members of any of certain professions or groups

I was going to say that one should follow common sense, but I hesitate on that since often I find myself wondering at whether people checked their brains on shore when they boarded the ship.

Here's what I would add to the discussion:

• Be responsible for your children. While you may find them adorable others may not, so please keep an eye on them as they are your responsibility. This means:Police them in the buffet. Their little hands do not belong in the food, rubbing the glasses or cups or rubbing all the dessert plates. I don't know where little Dick or Jane's hand have been. [Yes, I have witnessed all of the above].
  • Again, I know being a parent is hard, little Dick and Jane are your darlings, not mine. so if they are having a tantrum do not obliviously chat away. Take the child off somewhere to calm down and regain their composure. Many parents do this and are great at this, but often I have been sat near parents who ignore what's going on.

In addition for the grown-ups:

• As adults, when in Palo or the Cove Cafe, remember what your mom taught you. Use your inside voice when having a conversation and do not by your volume inflict your conversation on me. [Is this what happens when Dick and Jane grown up?]
  • If you are at Shutters, Guest Services, the Excrusion Desk, future bookings desk, or any such service area and there is a long queue behind you, now is not the time for you to get your thoughts in order. If you find you are suddenly confused, or have been given information you had not anticipated (I know because this frequently happens to me), practice saying these words, use the mirror in your cabin if you must, "Oh, I'm sorry. I need to think about this. Please, take care of the next guest. I'll come back later when I_____________ (fill in the blank).
  • Stop. Look. Listen and engage brain. It is one's best friend. It's a cruise ship, not your living room, and these people around you are complete straingers, not your best buds. We don't have to like you, nor do we get paid to appear as we do either. So for pity's sake, do try to exercise decorum when in public areas.
  • When little Dick and Jane have public tantrums, it can be annoying. When adults have public tantrums it is downright embarrassing, undignified and can make other adults cringe. Sometimes we have to just count to 10 and compose ourselves. If that fails a good stiff drink (something fruity, fatty and boozy, or ice cream) may help one regain one's sense of perspective.
  • Above all, for pity's sake be polite. Common courtesey costs nothing and is the grease that makes this social machine of ours run smoothly.

Well, that's my 2 or 3 cents worth.

Etiquette

1. the customs or rules governing behaviour regarded as correct or acceptable in social or official life
2. a conventional but unwritten code of practice followed by members of any of certain professions or groups

I was going to say that one should follow common sense, but I hesitate on that since often I find myself wondering at whether people checked their brains on shore when they boarded the ship.

• Be responsible for your children. While you may find them adorable others may not, so please keep an eye on them as they are your responsibility. This means:Police them in the buffet. Their little hands do not belong in the food, rubbing the glasses or cups or rubbing all the desser plates. I don't know where little Dick or Jane's hand have been. [Yes, I have witnessed all of the above].
  • Again, I know being a parent is hard, little Dick and Jane are your darlings, not mine. so if they are having a tantrum do not obliviously chat away. Take the child off somewhere to calm down and regain their composure. Many parents do this and are great at this, but often I have been sat near parents who ignore what's going on.

• As adults, when in Palo or the Cove Cafe, remember what your mom taught you. Use your inside voice when having a conversation and do not by your volume inflict your conversation on me. [Is this what happens when Dick and Jane grown up?]
  • If you are at Shutters, Guest Services, the Excrusion Desk, future bookings desk, or any such service area and there is a long queue behind you, now is not the time for you to get your thoughts in order. If you find you are suddenly confused, or have been given information you had not anticipated (I know because this frequently happens to me), practice saying these words, use the mirror in your cabin if you must, "Oh, I'm sorry. I need to think abou this. Please, take care of the next guest. I'll come back later when I_____________ (fill in the blank).
  • Stop. Look. Listen and engage brain. It is one's best friend. It's a cruise ship, not your living room, and these people around you are complete straingers, not your best buds. We don't have to like you, nor do we get paid to appear as we do either. So for pity's sake, do try to exercise decorum when in public areas.
  • When little Dick and Jane have public tantrums, it can be annoying. When adults have public tantrums it is downright embarrassing, undignified and can make other adults cringe. Sometimes we have to just count to 10 and compose ourselves. If that fails a good stiff drink (something fruity, fatty and boozy, or ice cream) may help one regain one's sense of perspective.
  • Above all, for pity's sake be polite. Common courtesey costs nothing and is the grease that makes this social machine of ours run smoothly.

Woo Hoo!:thumbsup2

Etiquette

• Be responsible for your children. While you may find them adorable others may not, so please keep an eye on them as they are your responsibility. This means:Police them in the buffet. Their little hands do not belong in the food, rubbing the glasses or cups or rubbing all the desser plates. I don't know where little Dick or Jane's hand have been. [Yes, I have witnessed all of the above].

• If you are at Shutters, Guest Services, the Excrusion Desk, future bookings desk, or any such service area and there is a long queue behind you, now is not the time for you to get your thoughts in order. If you find you are suddenly confused, or have been given information you had not anticipated (I know because this frequently happens to me), practice saying these words, use the mirror in your cabin if you must, "Oh, I'm sorry. I need to think abou this. Please, take care of the next guest. I'll come back later when I_____________ (fill in the blank).

You seem to bring up alot of issues revolving around children, which is understandable on a Disney Ship. Lots of kids. In the same vein, you love your Aunt Hilga and Uncle Fred to pieces, they are your relatives, not mine. Some have said in other dining threads "Well, Uncle Fred is just difficult and stuck in his ways" which is code for he is a jerk and demanding for no good reason.

I may get flamed for saying this, but for every child I have seen out of control with a parent doing nothing...I have seen an equal number of downright mean senior citizens, who feel because they are near the end of their life with medical problems they can inflict their rage on all around them, whether it be demanding to get on the elevator first, being rude at dinner, or cutting in front of my family because they need a flu shot more.

Maybe that would be more a problem on another cruise line that has more older folks, but I have seen a few posts in other threads "my grandpa Floyd is a real pill to servers" and that is just to be accepted, but if you said "my little Dick and Jane are really rude to the waitstaff" no one would accept that. If your senior citizen cant control their rudeness and nastiness, order room service.

I hate to be saying this, but this thread seems to have become a dump on children and parents fiesta, and I would like to inject some balance. I am open to all flames.

It boils down to knowing those who are in your care, and being polite and respectful of those around you. I wont subject you to my twins meltdown if I dont have to listen to your beloved grandpa make racial slurs and mistreat the wait staff (been there, done that).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter