Cruise Report

Jabba

Earning My Ears
Just return'd from 3 night cruise on board the wonder. Had a great time,great weather, staff are very good, the shows are excellent, especially dreams, the ship is kept to a very high standard with work being carried out through the night on deck, painting, varnishing etc, the food the excellent. Palo's is a must, wonderful service and superb food all for $5 each!!!

I did have a couple of gripes, the welcoming drink, this should be free and not $6.50 (white wine and juice). The excursions are very expensive, we took the blue lagoon day ($38 each). If we known we could have gone to the small island by boat for $6 return and spend $15 on food, a lot cheaper than the disney option. Lastly tipping, the concept of tipping a bar tender, whilst seating at the bar yourself I cannot understand. If your seated at a table and a server takes your order thats fine by me. I wish Disney would stop the practice of gratuity's being added automatically!!!

But on the whole a excellent time was had by all. Just be carefull and prepare yourself for a large bill coming your way under the cabin door!!!

Hi. I read your report and I do not want to have the same report when I get done with my cruise. So maybe you can help- so you went to Blue Lagoon Beach Day huh? Was it nice, I know it was expensive, so what will be different if I just go on my own vs. booking thru DCL? My first cruise is coming up Oct 24-27. We want to do BLBD, but I though it sounded expensive too, so you advise me to do it on my own? I think we're going to do the stingray swim, do you know how far it is from where the ferry drops off? I'll think of more questions for you -I am sure. :D

Hello,

You can pick up a boat/ferry from the DCL and pay between $6-10 return each. The service runs twice or three times in the morning and returns 2.00pm and 4.00pm. If you want to go shopping, get the 2.00pm as shops closed at 5.30pm. There are all the big names at Nassau (Bay Street), Gucci, Fendi, Tiffany's etc. Please beware of hair braiders, people selling water and alike, tere very annoying. I heard on the ship they was charges $70 to braid a small girl!!!

Sting ray bay is about 10mins walk from the dock at blue lagoon just follow the signs.

Food is available from the bar and resturant. Diet coke is $2 a can and is NOT cold, likewise beer $5. If you are going to drink on the cruise take plenty of cans of soft drinks/beer with you. There is a drinks cooler in the cabins and ice is available on certain decks free of charge.
Any further questions, please contact me

Glad you had a good time! We did a 7 day in Aug and agree with you on the upkeep of the ship. They were always painting cleaning ect.... As for excursions we did all our own. Drinks, we BYOB, we did order a few at the bars though. I think that alot of people are really unaware that the servers and bartenders make a very, very low wage. Basically they get a ticket home at the end of there 6 month contract, room and board. There main income is gratuity!!!! So this is probably why the 15%. They work hard.
We tipped far above the amount . Anyway I thought I would let you know, Most people do not realize this is the majority of there income. You'd have to pay me ALOT more than that to leave myfamily for 6 months!
Welcome Back!

Understand they are paid low wages. I have no complaints for paying tips in general, but to ask for a drink at the bar and pay a gratuity. This should be the choice of the customer and not automatically placed on the bill. I have it on good authority that the hostess can collect between $300-$500 per cruise. A very nice sum indeed for cleaning rooms

I have to pay my cleaning lady $75 for 3 hours of cleaning my house and she does not do an excellent job. I think the room hostess does an extra special job; at least she did when we went last year; we tipped her about double what was expected.
She kept bringing little things for my 4 year old; and kept going back in the room with ice; it always looked great! She was from the Phillipines and was wonderful! I would like it if the bill included the tipping and what I gave was extra and their pay was not so low, but so be it. Disney would have to jack up the prices and they probably go with the flow of other cruise lines that do this. Only the most expensive ones include the tip, I think!

As far as I know, it is as customary to tip a bartender for a drink as it is to tip a waitperson that brings it to your table. Not just on a cruise, but everywhere. I worked in a bar when I was in Grad school. Maybe I'm missing the point. Diana

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter