Cruise Question

chaoscent

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
A colleague of mine has a 15 year old daughter with multiple disabilities and also is in a wheelchair. She also has a 6 year old son. She is thinking of taking a Disney Cruise. They told her that her daughter would be able to attend activities through out the day, but they wouldn't put her in the pool. Not putting her in the pool is ok with my colleague because she wouldn't be comfortable with them putting her in the pool. She is not a member of the DisBoards (though I highly recommended this thread) so I am posting for her. Has anyone who has a teenage child with Multiple Disabilities and is in a wheelchair taken their child on a cruise? Was the cruise a postive experience for both the children and the parents?
Thanks, Penny
aka Chaos Cent

We have not been on a cruise, but I know that people have posted in the past about taking children with wheelchairs on cruises. There are also adults who have posted about their cruise experiences.
The 2 biggest things I remember reading are about the elevators and the shore trips.
The elevators are not that large and people posted they sometimes had to wait a while for the elevator (apparently many people don't use the stairs).
The shore trips to Castaway Cay are wheelchair accessible, but many of the others are not terribly accessible (being in foreign countries that may not be wheelchair friendly).

People have posted good experiences for children with other (not mobility related) disabilities in the Kids and Teens Clubs on the cruise. As long as the crew knows what her needs are, they will try to accomidate them.

Thanks so much. I will pass on the information. Penny

We have been on 2 cruises with a child in a WC, but my DD is younger. I have one concern. I do not remember seeing an elevator to get up to the Stack (teen club) I remember taking the elevator to the 9th floor and then taking the stairs.

We went on a 7day cruise this fall, taking our 2 sons with CP (one in a chair full-time, and the other uses crutches). They are 9, and the kids club was great, the best part of the cruise for them! We had worried because the Cruiseline is very careful in describing what they can and can't do for disabled kids. But, everyone there was great!

I agree w/ Sue: the elevators and shore excursions were the problems. The elevators are small, so they had to really be empty for us to fit on them. And, sadly, it does seem that many, many fully abled guests used them frequently. However, we also had many families get off when they saw us waiting. Castaway Cay was great, with their accessibility and the beach wheelchairs. If we take another cruise, we will stay on the boat for the other excursions.

However, I have a question about the Stack that the previous poster mentioned....is there NOT an elevator there? Please, someone who knows let us know. That will be huge for us when the kids are older.

Thanks!
W

There is an elevator for the Stack and if a teen is disabled and cannot use the key card for entry, they will be aware of that and help out. They don't put anyone in children's programming in the pool but there's a transfer tier and the disabled teen can use the pool if a parent can assist. ---Kathy

Thanks so much everyone for answering. The colleague works & lives in CT and visited my prorgram in PA. I told her about this board. As I work with children with DD, I often recommend this forum to parents who are thinking of taking their children to Disney. When she mentioned she was thinking of taking her daughter & son on a cruise I told her to check out this forum. As she isn't a member, I knew she couldn't post. I am sure that reading this will answer some of her questions. Again, Thanks, Penny :goodvibes

Has anyone who has a teenage child with Multiple Disabilities and is in a wheelchair taken their child on a cruise? Was the cruise a postive experience for both the children and the parents?
Thanks, Penny
aka Chaos Cent

I have an adult daughter with Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy who is very frail and wheel chair bound. She has lots of physical problems and is learning disabled. We do DCL every year. Of all the vacations we have done these are the best by far. We love them.:lovestruc Yes, even more than the parks!

The dining servers will have her seating set up after the first time. For us that means food cut in tiny pieces, no chair, no stemmed glassware and so on. Just let them know what you need.

There are wonderful guys there that will help you on and off the boat if you are a manual chair. (Tips always appreciated.):flower3:

ADA rooms are spacious. If possible tell her to book a verandah at the very back of the boat. The deck space is huge!party: Word of caution here...ADA rooms book fast so book early. The deck space ones usually on the first or second day of availability for the popular cruises.:idea:

Shows have wheel chair seating and are fantastic entertainment. Go early since the wheel chair seating is limited. Ditto on the deck viewing ones.popcorn::

Buses to the boat have ones that are wheel chair accessible. Tell her to use transfers. She checks in her luggage at the airport and doesn't have to see it again until it appears in her room.:cloud9:

Take what you need with you as basic medical supplies on board are limited, and if available way too pricey. Medical staff is available and friendly.:sick:

Now a brief word about elevators. Tell her sometimes polite doesn't work. Adults think nothing of crowding in front of a wheelchair to get on; thus, setting a fine example for kids in tow. Miss half a dozen elevators and you find you can be agressive. :furious: On the flip side a few folk are fantastic and actually help.:cheer2: Life boat drills are mandatory so take the elevators down a little early as they shut them down for the drill. Chill for a time after they are over as there is no hope of getting on an elevator when folks are in herds. Same applies after the shows let out or anything with a large mob release.:crowded:

Wheelchair bathrooms are available but not all bathroom are accessible Plan accordingly.

The regular deck doors are hard to open to go back in but you can always ask someone to hold the door. Friendly folks abound.

Shore excursions are very limited. We are doing the Med repo next and only one is available for wheelchairs. Disney has an excellent support staff for this. They actually called me to let me know which one. If you go it on your own remember that accessibility is not guaranteed in foreign ports.

Palos and the beauty shop allow chairs. Never tried the Spa. If you are getting hair/nails done for formal night book the first day!

Some folks are totally oblivious to the chairs. Heads must be full of fairy dust. :tinker: The daughter should practice defensive driving just in case.

Buffet style meals have servers who will actually carry her tray and allow her to pick if desired.

Castaway Cay has the sand chairs (free). Not easy for the pusher but a unique experience for those in chairs when you wheel them out into that warm turquoise water. Go for it.

I probably missed a bunch of stuff like the sling that lowers folks into the pool. We didn't use it so I didn't pay much attention. Sorry about that.

Whatever I can help with though...I would be happy to.:hug:

Linda Bell

Thanks, your information was so very helpful. I will pass it on to her. Again, thank you for your informative post. :grouphug:
Penny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter