Cruise Out Of New York City ????

PURTYPAT1

DIS Veteran
HI ALL,

WE ARE TAKING OUR 2ND DCL CRUISE IN NOV 05.

MY DD 10 YEARS OF AGE & MYSELF ARE THINKING ABOUT TAKING A CRUISE OUT OF NEW YORK CITY OR BAYONNE, NJ 02/06 PRESIDENT'S WEEK.

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS? WHICH CRUISE, & WERE YOU HAPPY? HOW ABOUT THINGS FOR KIDS TO DO?

ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREAT.

THANKS

PATRICIA :flower:

Ironically there was a section on this today in Newsday. We have never cruised out of NY or NJ but here is the article. Hope it helps.
Cruise Calendar
Sailing from your own backyard

Email this story
Printer friendly format

More Coverage
Battling the cruise ship bulge
Jun 13, 2004

Using the Internet to make a voyage complete
Feb 6, 2005

Photos
Cunard’s Queen Mary 2
Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 (GETTY IMAGES PHOTO)

BY STACEY ALTHERR
STAFF WRITER

February 6, 2005

Cruising out of a port within driving distance from home is gaining in popularity, as travelers seek ways to eliminate airport hassles as well as the cost of air fare. It's also becoming easier for New Yorkers since the opening last year of the Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne, N.J.

The New York City Passenger Ship Terminal in Manhattan is still the main local departure point for most cruise lines. It's on the Hudson River on the west side of 12th Avenue between 46th and 54th streets. Parking is $24 a day. There are passenger drop-off and pick-up areas.

But the Cape Liberty Cruise Port is just seven miles from Manhattan, creating another option for travelers. The port maintains a large parking area ($12 a day) and has drop-off and pick-up points.

Following is a list of cruises that leave the two ports (and one from Connecticut during the next eight months or so.) The rates given are for the lowest price room during the time period given for that cruise, per person, based on double occupancy.

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE

CARNIVAL TRIUMPH

# June 23-Sept. 1: (4 days) round-trip New York City to Halifax, Nova Scotia, or (5 days) to Saint John, New Brunswick, and Halifax, Nova Scotia. From $499.

# Sept. 10-Oct. 1: (7 days) round-trip New York City to Boston; Portland, Maine; Sydney and Halifax, Nova Scotia. From $599.

CARNIVAL LEGEND

# May-October: (8 days) round-trip New York City to San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Thomas, United States Virgin Islands; Tortola, British Virgin Islands. From $879.

CELEBRITY CRUISE LINE

ZENITH

# April 23-Oct. 15: (7 days) round-trip Cape Liberty, N.J., to St. George's and Hamilton, Bermuda. From $950.

CONSTELLATION

# Sept. 22 and Oct. 5: (12 or 13 days) round-trip Cape Liberty, N.J., to Boston; Portland and Bar Harbor, Maine; Halifax, Nova Scotia; Quebec; cruising the Saguenay River. From $2,350.

# Oct. 17 and 29: (12 days) from Cape Liberty, N.J., to Charleston, S.C.; Grand Bahama Island; Nassau, Bahamas; St. Maarten; St. Thomas; San Juan, Puerto Rico. From $1,500.

CUNARD

QUEEN MARY 2

# March 9-April 2: (8 days) round-trip New York City to St. Thomas; St. Kitts; St. Maarten. From $1,199.

# July 2: (3 days) round-trip New York City cruise to nowhere for Independence Day. From $749.

# Sept. 26: (12 days) round-trip New York City to Halifax and Sydney, Nova Scotia; Corner Brook, Newfoundland; Saint John, New Brunswick; Quebec; cruising Gulf of St. Lawrence; Portland, Maine; Boston; Newport, R.I. From $2,749.

HOLLAND AMERICA

ROTTERDAM

# May 17 and 27: (10 days) round-trip New York City to San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Maarten; Tortola; Half Moon Cay, Bahamas. From $1,499.

NORWEGIAN

NORWEGIAN DAWN

# February-October: (7 days) round-trip New York City to Port Canaveral, Fla., and Miami; Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau, Bahamas. From $1,369.

NORWEGIAN CROWN

# May-September: (7 days) round-trip New York City to St. George's, Kings Wharf and Hamilton, Bermuda. From $1,239.

NORWEGIAN JEWEL

# Sept. 18-Oct. 21: (11 days) round-trip New York City to Boston; Bar Harbor, Maine; Nova Scotia; Saint John, New Brunswick, cruising Gulf of St. Lawrence and Saguenay River. From $1,552.

PRINCESS

GOLDEN PRINCESS

# Sept. 3-Oct. 15: (7 days) round-trip New York City to Halifax, Nova Scotia; Saint John, New Brunswick; Bar Harbor, Maine; Newport, R.I.; Boston. From $995.

SEA PRINCESS

# Sept. 24 and Oct. 14: (10 days) round-trip New York City to Newport, R.I.; Boston; Bar Harbor, Maine; Saint John, New Brunswick; Corner Brook, Newfoundland; Sydney and Halifax, Nova Scotia; Quebec; cruising the Saguenay River. From $1,495.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN

VOYAGER OF THE SEAS

# May-November: (5 days) round-trip Cape Liberty, N.J., to Bermuda. From $599.

ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS

# July 7: (4 days) round-trip Cape Liberty, N.J., to Halifax, Nova Scotia. From $539.

# July 11: (6 days) round-trip from Cape Liberty, N.J., to Boston; Bar Harbor, Maine; Halifax, Nova Scotia. From $969.

VOYAGER OF THE SEAS

# May-November: (7 days) round-trip from Cape Liberty, N.J., to Hispaniola; Jamaica; Grand Cayman, Grand Bahama Island. From $999.

SMALLER SHIPS

CRYSTAL CRUISES

# Oct. 9: (7 days) round-trip New York City to Halifax, Nova Scotia; Boston; Newport, R.I. From $2,195.

RADISSON SEVEN SEAS

# May 18-Aug. 10: (7 days) round-trip New York City to Hamilton and St. George's, Bermuda; Norfolk, Va. From $3,146.

SEABOURN CRUISE LINE

# Sept. 15: (3 days) round-trip New York City, cruising Long Island Sound and the Hudson River. From $1,140.

# Sept. 18 and Oct. 2 (14 days) round-trip New York City to Bar Harbor, Maine; Nova Scotia; Quebec, cruising Cabot Strait and Gulf of St. Lawrence; Boston; Cape Cod Canal; Newport, R.I. From $8,336.

SILVER SEAS

# Sept. 30: (10 days) round-trip New York City to Martha's Vineyard, Mass.; Cape Cod Canal; Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine; Nova Scotia; Newport, R.I. From $5,146.

SAILING FROM CONNECTICUT

AMERICAN CRUISE LINES (smaller ships)

# Oct. 1-22 (7 days) round-trip, from New London, Conn., to the Hudson Valley with stops in West Point, Albany, Kingston, Sleepy Hollow, New York City, and Greenport. From $2,350.

We took the Dawn out of NYC April 2004. It was a beautiful ship, very large and clean. My boys do not like to do the kids club, so I can't answer about that, but there was plenty for them to do between the game room and movies. They also enjoyed just sitting on the balcony reading books. I brought some small finger kites and we flew them from the balcony one afternoon! My entire family enjoys the freestyle dining; you can choose when and where you want to eat. It cost us about $6000 for two balcony cabins for 5 people for 7 days, versus $2000 for 4 people in a Cat. 9 for 3 days on Disney in November 2004. And it was great to have someone drop us off and pick us up. A coworker went from Bayonne at the end of August and loved it; it was to Bermuda, but I can't remeber the name of the ship. I would definitely go local!

tiggrbaby

WOW TIGGRBABY, WHAT A BIG DIFFERENCE IN THE PRICE. DID YOU GO WITH A TRAVEL AGENT OR BOOK ON LINE.

THE WATERS WERE NOT RUFF, LEAVING FROM THE HUDSON?

THE DAWN IS NOT SHOWING A 7 DAY CRUISE FOR NEXT FEB 2006 AS OF YET.

I THINK WE WERE ON THE SAME 3 DAY CRUISE NOV 3 04.

THANKS FOR THE INFO

PATRICIA

I must confess that my very first thought when Disney announced its third ship, was "will they sail out of NYC?" Wouldn't that be awesome for those of us who live in the Northeast?

ElenitaB said:
I must confess that my very first thought when Disney announced its third ship, was "will they sail out of NYC?" Wouldn't that be awesome for those of us who live in the Northeast?

That would be great!

T&B

I've cruised out of NY twice. Once in 1996 and once last May. Love it! It is so neat to cruise past the Statue of Liberty. I cruised NCL in 1996 and CCL's Zenith last May both to Bermuda. Hate to fly so this is the best for me. NCL was nice, Zenith was nicer. But any ship to Bermuda would be worth it. Bermuda is my favorite of all islands so far. The Zenith is showing its age but the folks working on the ship are what made it so special and the food was very good. Mostly an older crowd when we went. My daughter was 5 and was treated like a princess. She was involved in the children's program when she wanted to me and enjoyed herself. Food was not too gourmet but definitely very good quality. Too bad they are now going from NJ. It is so nice leaving from NY. I'm from CT so you get dropped off at the ship and boom - you are on vacation. No hassesl of flying and lugging baggage all over everywhere... No airline delays, etc.

The Norwegian Dawn sails out of NYC year round....

I was in NYC Thurs and saw it docked.

MJ

Uhh..the New Jersey port in Bayonne is right across the river from the NY port. I'm sure you get to see the Statue of Liberty when you leave from there too. NJ is not another country, LOL, but, Connecticut, well.....LOL!

DeeCeeSW said:
Uhh..the New Jersey port in Bayonne is right across the river from the NY port. I'm sure you get to see the Statue of Liberty when you leave from there too. NJ is not another country, LOL, but, Connecticut, well.....LOL!

When I sailed last year, I thought that I saw the RCL ship pulling out of NJ much farther down the river from the NYC terminal that was the only reason I asked. My mistake! :crazy:

We sailed on the VOS from Bayonne, NJ, USA last Fall. It is actually past the Statue of Liberty, but as you depart you can see her from the port side . Port is about 15-20 minutes farther away from the country of CT .

mac_tlc , from CT country.

Tink-Tink, I was only kidding around with you--it's just that NJ normally is the butt of jokes, etc., and so I was just trying to defend the state I currently live in. I wasn't born here, and as my fellow Brooklynites would say, I'm not really FROM Jersey, I just live here." LOL.

We were considering the NYC option for our next cruise. I was concerned about the seas traveling from NYC down to Florida and also the extra two days spent on the boat. Any thoughts on this?

PurtyPatty: We got an early booking discount for the NCL. I didn't book the DCL early enough! Yes, I think you are right; we did communicate before the cruise, but I did not meet up with anyone. There was just so little time! I am planning on going on a 7 day in 2008; I will book early and with costco. We saved big money with them for our Alaska cruise.

Yankee: We went in the beginning of April last year, and the seas weren't too bad. It was cold the first morning and the last afternoon as you were above the Carolinas. We personally enjoyed having full days to relax and enjoy the ship. We were busy the four days in ports.

Wow Good For You.

If You Don't Mind Me Asking, What Month Are You Going & What Did You Pay For A Seven Day Cruise?

tiggrbaby do you have blonde hair? I think I sat next to you on the way back from the tram from cc to the ship.

Let me know. :flower:

FYI
When sailing out of a north-east port in winter, the first day or so may not be the sunshine/warm vacation you imagine. It is still quite chilly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter