Cruise Insurance

NancyIL

DIS Veteran
I'm a firm believer in purchasing insurance for any expensive pre-paid trip like a cruise, but the insurance the cruise line offers is usually not your best deal. For one thing, their insurance doesn't cover you if you purchase your own airfare and miss the boat! Check out www.insuremytrip.com :) Most policies will cover pre-existing conditions as long as the insurance is purchased within ~ 2 weeks of making your initial payment.

we purchased our trip insurance thru insuremytrip.com and got a way better deal for our 17 days away then we would have gotten thru dcl. one thing we were very pleased with is that our air fare and car rental is covered in the cost. it pays to have added security for such an expensive trip.

I just found out that cancer isn't covered as a preexisting condition unless it is in remission. :(

Thank you NancyIL for the reminder. My DS has asthma and a little planning makes for a big peace of mind down the line!

After doing a search of the forums, I have noticed several posts recommending Access America for their free coverage for children in the same cabin. After searching their site, I can not find any such coverage. Can anyone help me? Is it not offered any more?

I think you have to be a member of AAA to get the children free. I got it for our cruise in June. It is called AAA Trip Assist. I called Access America to get the coverage.

Travelex looks like the best deal (even the "upgraded" policy looks good).

We've used them in the past, but we all stayed healthy and happy, so I can't vouch for how they do when disaster strikes.

I also bought Travelex insurance for a cruise, and will probably do so again for a July 2005 family cruise. There is no additional charge for children under 16.

I was interested in the travelex rates, but could not find a number to call & ask them specific questions so they were crossed off the list for us.

mjasp: We picked TravelSafe from the options at insuremytrip.com. I was a little slow in looking into policies, and I selected TravelSafe because it covered pre existing conditions within 15 days of deposit. The medical coverage was a little less than some(my insurance will cover everything except transport, which this picks up) and TravelSafe was a little higher in the cancellation payouts.

We picked Travelex because of price and coverage. We had previously used Travel Guard with no problems. When compared, Travelex gave us much better coverage for less cost. My son and I are both Diabetic so pre-existing coverage waiver was very much a necessity. :D

OK Just read some of the Travelex terms. When I clicked on the area that says 90 days...It states that pre existing injuries or sicknesses are NOT covered 90 days before you go unless you bought the insurance 21 days after the cruise. Now I have to check out the small print on access america. Seems if you get the Flu, it won't be covered.

Originally posted by Mjasp
OK Just read some of the Travelex terms. When I clicked on the area that says 90 days...It states that pre existing injuries or sicknesses are NOT covered 90 days before you go unless you bought the insurance 21 days after the cruise. Now I have to check out the small print on access america. Seems if you get the Flu, it won't be covered.

That's why NancyIL noted that it's important to start considering insurance as soon as you make your deposit. That's when the clock starts ticking on the pre-x waiver. As you probably noticed from the insuremytrip.com site, Travelex seems to have the most liberal of these periods (21 days vs. 10-15 for the others), but it does pay to check all of the fine print.

Ok got my travel insurance from www.accessamerica.com/aaa Very happy with their terms. I bought the coverage yesterday and am covered from today, not for the trip but if something happens from now until cruise time it will be covered.

It was only $93 as the kids are free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter