• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise Info

WebmasterJohn

Genius
Administrator
I recently had the wonderful opportunity of sailing on the Disney Magic on a 7-night Western Caribbean Cruise and then again on a 3-night cruise on the Disney Wonder a few days later. What a terrific way to see these great ships back-to-back. While these were by no means my first cruises on either ship - it really gave me some special insight into the similarities and differences on both vessels, but I think I will save that for another thread ;)

What I wanted to share with you now is some ‘new’ information I learned and new exsperiences I enjoyed while on both ships.

During our trip onboard the Magic I was fortunate enough to have dinner with some old, and now some new, friends – Mandy the Hotel Director, Jacqui the Cruise Director and Russ the HR Director all joined us for a wonderful dinner one night in Palo. Needless to say, we had a fantastic time. Jacqui is an ‘old’ friend of ours, and we had met Mandy before, but this was the first time I had the pleasure of dining with Mandy, and the first time meeting Russ. They are all the most charming and gracious people you ever want to meet and they truly epitomize what being a Disney Cast Member is all about. I could sit and chat with them for hours.

While I tried not to talk ‘shop’ the entire time I did want to find out some more information about the upcoming changes to the Magic while it is in dry-dock at the end of the month. Here is what I learned:

· The name for the high-energy teen dance club that will replace the ESPN Skybox will be "The Stack".
· "The Cove" will be the name of the adult only coffee shop replacing Common Grounds. It will be exclusive to adult guests 18 years of age and older and will offer specialty coffees and drinks and will only be accessible via the adult pool area located deck 9 forward.
· Off Beat will undergo some cosmetic changes including the dueling pianos being replaced by a standard, upright piano and the overall ‘feel’ of the club will be more like a ‘honky-tonk’ piano bar. It will be called "Distractions" and will also be a place where sports fans can go to enjoy special sporting events aired while cruising.

I also had the opportunity to try out some of the new options on the Palo menu. While many of the old favorites remain, the recent additions complimented the menu wonderfully. I had the Pan-fried Tuna on a bed of Linguini Pasta with Artichokes and a Tarragon Veal Jus and it was spectacular. While the new dessert, Pistachio Torte baked with Red Berry Compote and Almonds with seasonal Berries, is not my taste it looked great and others really seemed to enjoy it.

In addition to the new items, the menu is presented in a new brass menu-holder that looks like it was handcrafted by a skilled Italian artisan back in the early 1900’s. This is a wonder presentation that adds to the Palo experience (previous cruisers will recall the menu used to be just a ‘one-sheet’ piece of paper). Look for the complete, new menu on the DIS shortly.

Now, all of my new experiences weren’t limited to the Magic. On the Wonder we were able to see the new stage show Golden Mickey’s. All I can say is WOW!!! The show is a great mix of old and new Disney favorites supported by spectacular staging and special effects. This is a definite do-not-miss if you ar cruising on the Wonder. If it weren’t for other obligations I probably would have seen it twice. Cruisers on the Magic can expect this show to become part of your itinerary within the next few months. Look for a complete write-up of the new show on the DIS very soon!!

That’s it for now. As I said I will post about the differences and similarities between the two ships later. Other than the ‘normal’ stuff (i.e. restaurant names, clubs, etc.) there were some differences in the smaller details I think are worth mentioning.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask – if you prefer you can write to me at john@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com

Thanks
John

Thanks for the update.....cannot wait to see the changes when we cruise next year....Andy

Was there any mention on the Magic that during dry dock the deck outside Topsiders all the way forward will be enclosed and become part of the restaurant? I was on the cruise in January and I went to a talk by an imagineer and he did mention that this was going to happen during this dry dock...but that was the first and last time I heard it mentioned.:confused:

Originally posted by WebmasterJohn
In addition to the new items, the menu is presented in a new brass menu-holder that looks like it was handcrafted by a skilled Italian artisan back in the early 1900’s. This is a wonder presentation that adds to the Palo experience (previous cruisers will recall the menu used to be just a ‘one-sheet’ piece of paper).
Thanks
John

John--

I too thought that the new Palo menu holders were a very nice touch. (Not to mention VERY heavy!) I think that it's little details like these that make the ships so outstanding. Personally, I think they should design something similar for each of the three main restaurants as well.

Thanks for the report!

Jason

Thank you!!!

I'm so excited that Golden Mickey's is coming to the Magic before my cruise! If that's been mentioned, I missed it.

I like the coffee house idea too. I do hope that the teen area will be more than just dancing though. Will it be a hang out area too?

Thanks again!

Hi John! Were you on the August 30th Western???? I heard from another dismember that you were onboard. My sister and I were on that cruise - my second disney cruise (I was on the Wonder in March) and her first. We particpated in almost every activity we could and got to know the crew quite well (Joshua, Trevor, Karen, Andrea, and Ryan). The cruise was amazing and the crew on the Magic is simply the BEST!!! We are missing our friends dearly right now and can't wait to get back on board - I'm thinking I need to go work for them!!! Wish we got a chance to meet you!!!

Hi All

abitjaded - There was no mention of The Cove being a 'Cigar Bar' - just coffees and specialty drinks. Personally I am hoping for something along the lines of a Starbucks or Barnie's (I can dream can't I?).

Favorite Auntie - I did not hear anything about any major structural changes being done to Top Sides - but then again just because I didn't hear it doesn't mean it won't happen ;)

CRB#33 - What I heard was that Golden Mickey's will not show up on the Magic until December. I would hope they are working on getting that show on the Magic ASAP - it was wonderful.

Quirky Cruiser - Yes, I was on the 8/30 cruise. We had the opportunity to meet Mike and his lovely family from England/Germany (can you tell I was confused) - actually we "met" every night at the pin cart :crazy:

One thing I forgot to mention - there was a lot of 'chatter' about a third cruise ship. The standard answer from almost everyone was that "Disney Cruise Line is in the early planning and research stages of adding a third ship". In my opinion this means it's already a done deal :p

John

Hmm...I was wondering what happened to Jacqui. Jim was our cruise director on the 8/2 sailing. Perhaps she was taking a well deserved break.

They were so excited about the new Palo's menu when we last sailed. I agree, something as simple as changing the presentation of the day's offerings does make it more of an upscale experience.

I can't wait to see the Golden Mickey's show!!! Oh boy, in another week I'll be getting on the Wonder!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Thanks John! I am cruising the first week in December, so I hope Golden Mickeys is on my cruise.....!

Did they mention when in December the golden mickey's will start? We are on the 12/13 and after three years in a row of the same shows I would LOVE to see a new one!

Thanks John for the update. Can't wait to see what you have to say the differences of the 2 ships are, since you went back to back its a great way to compare. Fresh in your mind.

Thanks
Joanna

Jacqui is on the Magic now! Rick is no longer with Disney-that one shocked me!

Golden Mickeys is coming to the Magic in December-that is when another cast comes on board (this came from Jacqui)

Dan

Thanks for the interesting facts. I look forward to the changes. "The Cove" sounds interesting. Now that my DDs don't want to hang out with us (parents), it's nice to have a few places on the ship to ourselves.

I do agree that there is a need for more 18+ areas for my oldest DD. She felt that the only place for her was where we were and she wanted something in between the teen club and the club we were always in.

I have a question. Quirky Cruiser mentioned the CMs from August 30th. I remember Karen and maybe Bryan? Have the other summer CMs left the ship? Most importantly.....WHO IS DOING BINGO NOW????

The buildup for Golden Mickeys is really intriguing. It's making me want to book a 3day and see it!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter