cruise first then WDW or vice versa?

nancyL

<font color=green>WL Vet<br><font color=red>My AP
Looking for opinions. Im thinking of August 2005 (next year). Family of 5. Im in education so I can get teachers rates at Swan and Dolphin. I refuse to stay in Disney less than a week- 4 day cruise and then 7 or 8 days at WDW. I dont want to split the WDW vacation. Should we cruise first or should we do WDW first and why do you say so.
Thanks!
NancyL

I think that most people recommend that you do the parks first, and then unwind on the cruise.

I recommend doing the parks first. Get all the chaos and lines and walking done first, then have a relaxin stay on the boat to rest those tired legs!! But just my opinion.

We took our first cruise on the Magic a few years ago...the four-night cruise. We were so tired after five days and four nights of non-stop action that we were thankful we planned a 10-night OKW stay after the cruise. We crashed in our room and slept for 12 hours!!

We're planning a more leisurely 7-night eastern cruise for February '05 and are once again staying at OKW after the cruise.

I think re-entry into the real world directly from a Disney cruise is too much for the body and mind to endure. You really need to spend a few days at WDW to decompress properly... ;)

We decided to do WDW first and the cruise second for 2 reasons: 1.) End the vacation on a relaxing note. 2.) Didn't want to risk being sun burned on park days.

Hope this helps.

We have always done the parks first, before the cruise.

I have to agree with Lew ~~ direct re-entry into the real world is too hard on the soul. We have tried it both ways. After our first cruise let me tell you.. when you disembark and have to head straight home, that is a major letdown. On the second cruise we added 5 nights at WDW afterwards. It was still a letdown to leave the ship, BUT we had some more Disney to look foward to!

It will be MUCH better to go to WDW after the cruise. It softens the blow of coming back to reality.

::yes::

Like several of the other posters we chose to cruise after the parks to relax. Someone else mentioned in an earlier thread that its hard to have to pay for meals at the parks after being on the ship. I have to agree with that even though I have not gone yet!
Vickie:wave2:

I always prefer the park first then the cruise.you just need the buildup of being at the park.then the cruise becomes even more enchanting.

How do kids handle leaving WDW for the cruise? I am worried about this. I was toying with the idea of a land sea and wondered if a six year old would be too sad to leave WDW for the cruise. Has anyone experienced disappointed kids who would have rather stayed at WDW? Thanks!

Tink

For our first Disney cruise, we did the Land then Sea in May 1999. This was before Disney offered 7-day cruises. The cruise was a nice way to unwind after being at the Parks. While my kids liked the parks, they loved the cruise even more. In fact, when it was time to get off the ship, all the kids wanted to go on a 7-day cruise when Disney would offer them. As soon as Disney started their 7-day cruises we booked the 7-day Eastern. We just did the 7-day Western on June 19 and kid had a blast. They even said they would prefer to go on the cruise than back to the parks. HTH

Relax? Who relaxes on a Disney cruise? If you want to relax, you'd better book with Celebrity or Holland America. Oh, sorry, you didn't mean you wanted to be bored, did you? After our seven day cruise, we were exhausted. We also spent most of our first day at AKL sleeping. But it was nice, as someone said, to have the buffer of WDW before going back to reality. Even WDW was more reality than the cruise. We went to dinner at the Kona Cafe the first night and not only did we have pay, but I had to put my own napkin in my lap!

We're doing the parks after the cruise. I plan on doing major shopping at the parks and didn't want to fret about finding room in the cabin for all the stuff!

My 6 year old was so excited to go on the cruise (and frankly was tired after 6 days of theme parks)--no problem there. Get your child excited by sharing the Disney Cruise Line website, show all the activities they get to do and they will be so excited. Also, have Veranandah Man send your 6 yo a postcard. He is very sweet and both my kids loved getting a DCL postcard from Mickey and Minnie. Made them even more excited. It's still on the frig.

I cruised august /03 .we got there on a friday cruised from sunday till thursday then back 2 disney.It was perfect.I wanted everybody to be up for the cruise and each and every one of my son's and DH.Said how perfect it worked out. So we are doing it again crusin August 20,05.Then over to WDW.

can't wait 394 days to goooooooo.lol

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

I cruised august /03 .we got there on a friday cruised from sunday till thursday then back 2 disney.It was perfect.I wanted everybody to be up for the cruise and each and every one of my son's and DH.Said how perfect it worked out. So we are doing it again crusin August 20,05.Then over to WDW.

can't wait 394 days to goooooooo.lol

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Next April, we are doing 4 days at DW, then the 4 day Wonder, followed by four more days at DW. I couldn't stand the idea of not doing DW after the cruise.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is...what is it going to be like for my family to step off the ship and go right home? If everyone is ok with that idea, then go for it. But if the thought of going to DW after cruising appeals to everyone, then go for that one.

DH and I fly down two days prior to cruising to unwind from the real world, cruise for 3 nights, relaxing at CC and then head back to DW for the week after and do what ever we feel like doing before heading back to the real world. You get the best of all worlds!::yes::

I've given this some thought myself but since I'll be doing 6 nights in DW before hand and this is our first cruise, I think we'll stick with coming right home afterwards rather than unpacking yet again. It's only going to be me and my dd and we'll be gone 11 days so I think by then we'll be ready to come home and my dd will have to get back to school that Monday so she'll need the time to rest and unwind :rolleyes:

We (DH, DD, and I) have been on two Disney cruises and have done the parks after returning from the cruise both times. I feel like a previous poster, it is to big of a let down to come off of the cruise and have to go straight home. We always leave the last day of our vacation free to rest up and prepare for the trip home the following day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter