Cruise Curmudgeons of the World Unite

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my Curmudgeonry. I love Disney Cruises.However I find alot of things just plain cheesy. The way the announcer says our name when we come on the ship is embarrasing. The sail away party...cheesy. Pirate Night Party....cheesy. I don't care who the cruise director is, I'snt he really just an announcer?. I really don't care about meeting the captain. Good to see I'm not the only one:goodvibes

I'm with everyone on the cheesy dining room "shows". It was more like torture for those poor cm's! Does anyone really think they enjoy doing that twice a night every night!? :dance3:

Now that you mention it, I've never quite understand the whole pillow case thing either. I can understand (sort of) getting the character to sign an autograph face to face, but not the whole back room pillow case deal.

I have visions of some crew member, sitting in a t-shirt, smoking a stogie and taking swigs from a whiskey bottle sitting there signing, "(heart) Snow White."

Totally in agreement about the pillow case signing and I coughed soda on my keyboard when I read your vision.:lmao:

When I first saw this thread I thought 'aw, c'mon - it's Disney, have a little fun, get into the spirit.' then... I started reading. HILARIOUS!!!

We haven't even been on a cruise yet, and I'm almost excited to giggle at what everyone has said is cheesy and over the top. While I've been stuck in Disney Delight, gotta give props to "The Curmudgeon" for this humorous take on DCL.

Thanks for a funny thread - and the image of a scruffy cigar smoking Snow White won't soon leave my head!!!

My issues are with the parents who think that just because we are on a cruise ship and they are contained, and they can just completely leave their little angels alone.
I watched numerous parents leave their kids at the family pool telling them that Mommy & Daddy were going over to the adult pool and that they should come and get them if the needed them.
And then two minutes later the little angels would turn into devils because nobody was around and then made the pool un enjoyable for the rest of us.
That's my complaint.

This past cruise during our last show, I asked the little boy behind me to please stop kicking my seat (serious kicking...my head was moving!). His mother basically told me that since we were on a Disney Cruise, I should just deal with it. :mad:

OK, OK, I know that many adults consider themselves Disney fanatics. I'm sure they are lovely people, but I just don't get the adults (OK, women) that walk around the ship all day carrying a Disney stuffed toy, mostly Mickey. They have them at the pool, at shows, on excursions, at dinner, everywhere. I know some even go to Build-A-Bear to buy their Mickey appropriate clothes for any occasion--tuxedos, swimwear, raincoats, etc.

It kinda freaks me out... :eek:

Rant over (for now)...

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::thumbsup2:thumbsup2
I loathe the cheerleading cast members. That much perkiness must addle the brain. I also despise being spoken to like I'm am a rather dimwitted 2 year old.

At the last pirate party insanity descended om me and I queued for cake. It took forever to wind my way to the table, and they were out of forks. I asked the cast member for a fork and she made a hand gesture tomme that I should eat the cake with my hands. I wanted to make a finger gesture back at her but opted to just snarl politely.

I finally found a fork and went up to deck 10, where promptly a strong gust of wind came and blew my piece of cake off my plate and over the railing. It would have been poetic justice had the wind-launched cake hit the fork gesturing cast member in the face. I would have then considered the evening a great success.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my Curmudgeonry. I love Disney Cruises.However I find alot of things just plain cheesy. The way the announcer says our name when we come on the ship is embarrasing. The sail away party...cheesy. Pirate Night Party....cheesy. I don't care who the cruise director is, I'snt he really just an announcer?. I really don't care about meeting the captain. Good to see I'm not the only one:goodvibes

I agree completely about the sail away party. It is cheesy. I like the act of sailing away but the party is much ado about nothing. Other than an opportunity for the cast members to whip themselves up into a Splenda induced frenzy.

OK, OK, I know that many adults consider themselves Disney fanatics. I'm sure they are lovely people, but I just don't get the adults (OK, women) that walk around the ship all day carrying a Disney stuffed toy, mostly Mickey. They have them at the pool, at shows, on excursions, at dinner, everywhere. I know some even go to Build-A-Bear to buy their Mickey appropriate clothes for any occasion--tuxedos, swimwear, raincoats, etc.

Rant over (for now)...

Those aren't stuffed toys. They're familiars.

Does anyone really think they enjoy doing that twice a night every night!?

I've been a cast member. Not on the cruise ships, but in MK at WDW. Some of us don't mind doing things like that at all. :) Some of us love it.

If only you all knew what some cast members go through to make your vacation as magical as they can ... It's impressive, and there's a reason we all come back, cheese or no ...

Rant over (for now)...

It's not Duffy yet?

Totally hilarious. I do love watching the grandchildren enjoy all the cheese though. Just call me Grandma

Do you remember from the movie Caddy Shack when children and grown men and women ran and splashed, screaming, from the club pool because this brown -- thing -- was floating in it? And Bull Murray shows up in elbow-length rubber gloves, a spray-paint mask and seven-buckle arctic boots at the edge of the pool with a leaf skimmer to dredge out a Baby Ruth bar?

Well, what of Mr. and Mrs. Hogjowl who think that darling Petunia and Little Ferdinand will "hold it" while they're forced to sit in the tepid Mickey Pool for two hours while Daddy waddles off to Signals for a helmet full of beers and Momma Hogjowl is spreading towels across sixteen lounge chairs then goes to the spa to get her hair done?

Ferdie, with back turning red from UV, discovers it's fun to squat on the water fountain. And Tunie, grunting, strains a load through the baggy elastic of her worn-out bikini.

Ferdie smells the gift and promptly hurls into the pool; the wretched flotsam bobs its way to Mr. Jones' chest, who's splashing playfully with Junior in his swim diaper, which Disney expressly prohibits. Mr. Jones, in autonomic response, promptly projectile-vomits his burger, fries and beer with soft-serve ice cream chaser (topped with caramel and nuts, of course), spraying the simulated teak deck and two other parents.

What follows are screams, rounds of sympathetic emesis expanding towards the Goofy pool, increasing turbidity in Mickey's pool, kids slipping as they run, adding their own discharges, bawling, from the stench.

Out of nowhere, in a brilliant flash, a battallion of yellow-jumpsuited "cast members" with buckets, swabs, rags and spray sanitizer converge like baby spiders on a moth-strummed web. Someone in the bowels of the engine room, alerted by the howling klaxon on the pool-plumbing console, races to the flashing blue Pump and Purge panel and simultaneously slaps the flush lever and spins the emergency washdown pressure valve like a giant roulette wheel.

Surrounding the pool, the deck-apes in coveralls spin towards the hose racks and squeegy blades on broom handles. Like a choreographed Rockettes high-kick, in sequence they swing overhead and then drop before them their swabs, squeegies, and sweeper nozzles (pop-pop-pop splat pop-pop-pop swoosh pop-pop-pop), encircling the vile vituperation and sweep it in tiny breaking waves back into the pool. The waters are swirling down, down, down, faster and deeper, into Mickey's mouth; a vortex appears and creates a howling banshee scream not unlike a thousand teenagers sucking the last drops from a thousand Big Gulps.

A sudden furnace-like Santa Ana blast flaps the towels on six of Mrs. Hogjowl's abandoned but apparently reserved loungers; sippy cups are capsized; Mrs. Jones, still sleeping with her MP3 earbuds cranked up to 12, is awakened by the mists of the quelling disaster. From Mickey's mouth in the pool a ripping "schlisssssss----pfoomPP!" echoes off the red smokestacks like a stateroom toilet to the 18th power.

The air falls as still and hot as Parrot Cay before dessert is served. One cocktail napkin flutters drily to rest on Mrs. Jones' taut, coconut-oiled tummy. She gasps, and the 96 swabbies spin, gazing in horror at a piece of trash that's not in a can. None dare approach the bronzed lady. Slowly they back away, disappearing into cracks of doorways, under stairs, behind the towel boxes. One dives into a big yellow and red ventilator horn.

Only his shoe hints that anything has been the least awry. His shoe, and the napkin -- the napkin that none of the boatswain's mates dared grab from that shining, bikini'd, abdominal plank.

"Hey!" she shouts at the few stunned parents standing in awe around the pool, having witnessed what surely would top Richard Dreyfuss' narrative from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. "Why'd they drain the danged baby pool again? And where's Junior!?!"

And that's why I tell kids, "Get out of here" at the adult pool in Quiet Cove.

When I first saw this thread I thought 'aw, c'mon - it's Disney, have a little fun, get into the spirit.' then... I started reading. HILARIOUS!!!

We haven't even been on a cruise yet, and I'm almost excited to giggle at what everyone has said is cheesy and over the top. While I've been stuck in Disney Delight, gotta give props to "The Curmudgeon" for this humorous take on DCL.

Thanks for a funny thread - and the image of a scruffy cigar smoking Snow White won't soon leave my head!!!

You will probably love nearly all the things mentioned here....the FIRST time! :lmao:

I've been a cast member. Not on the cruise ships, but in MK at WDW. Some of us don't mind doing things like that at all. :) Some of us love it.

If only you all knew what some cast members go through to make your vacation as magical as they can ... It's impressive, and there's a reason we all come back, cheese or no ...

Yes, dear Angel, sweet Jennifer: we love it too, five or six times; we pay well for the experience, more than we have on Princess, Celebrity, Carnival or that awful Norwegian. Plus, we have two more Disney cruises already scheduled. And then we love to complain about it before we surreptitiously schedule another Atlantic crossing on the Magic!

The few. The proud. The Curmudgeons!

I hear you, Valbob .. I'm jsut saying that in my days as a CM, it really didn't get old for me. I could sing the same songs everyday, dance to the parades while helping guests find that absolutely necessary something, and everytime for me was like the first time. :) Some of those cast members aren't just acting ... (but secretly, some of them are!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter