• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

cruise cost/spending money

ganurse

DIS Veteran
whats the easiet/best buy to be as cheap/cost efficient as possible. my hubby and i are buying our first house injuly and going on ouor 7 day cruise in sept. we have been keeping change/dollar bills in an olod laundry detergent bottle but still want to be frugle. any advice?

Cut down on dining out and if you are into specialty coffees, i.e. starbuck, dunkin donuts....nix that. You would be surprised how much you spend on those things.

My teens think nothing of spending $3.00 plus dollars for coffee and I cringe.....

MJ

We had booked our cruise prior to a job loss situation. So when we went on the cruise we knew that we would have to be careful. We did not do any excursions (and really did not regret our decision because of comments made by fellow cruisers) and did not buy any drinks but 2 (a smoothie and ginger ale for an upset stomach). The staff on the ship does not keep bugging you to buy drinks, which surprised me (pleasantly). My husband bought one diecast of the ship. All of that added up to about $18. Oh, and of course the tips, but I feel that that is not extra.

People suggested getting room service to bring sandwiches so that if you did do an excursion, you could bring your lunch (don't forget the ziplock bags). We did bring a few bottles of soda. And we got lots of pictures of ourselves because of designating a nice 12 year old boy at our table the "table photographer". He loved it as did we.

Good luck planning. It really does not have to be expensive.

I hate to say it ...

But dining out takes up a large chunk of money.....

and we are trying to Dine at home most of the time now ...
and only dine out once on the weekends..

As we also Purchased not that long ago @ years and remember the feeling... we now get gift certifcates for present

and since then i have been I have been laid off Twice once for 6 months and once for 5 months so ...

We have still been able to do ur Cruises...

I not sure but , i would have to say Laundry Detergent !!

Jen Gets that Tide .... Stuff is so expensive.. is it any Better than the stuff that cost less money at Bj's Club I dont know ???

Peter

And Congrats on getting the new home...

Oops. Did you mean how to be frugal in general or just on the cruise?

If you meant frugal on the cruise, Muushka's suggestions are the same that I would suggest. Plan ahead for 'tips', and other than than that just a small budget for the small things (like a photo album.....a must for me :sunny: ) and don't do any of the expensive things (like the spa and excursions).

There is plenty of entertainment that you really don't have to do the extras. IF there is something that is a MUST DO, budget for it ahead of time and have that money saved before you go.

The one thing I like about the cruise versus the parks is that I can pretty much have it paid for BEFORE I go (and I don't come home to a big VISA bill).

Good Luck.
DJ

I will share my tips! I have had to be VERY frugal since a lot of unexpected costly things have come up AFTER we booked our long overdue cruise vacation!

On of my fave money savers: I have a coin sorter and plop all pocket change in there. The kids find coins on the street and plop them in too! They have been saving over 2 years and will have over 50.00 in spending money. (Mom would have some too, but that got earmarked for something else)

Anyway, that really adds up!!

I gave up the morning coffee going out. At $3-4 a pop, it adds up.

We did'nt totally give up eating out. But, we did cut back. We either go out once every other week, for a special occasion, or order out. We are are choosy about not going over $30 bucks for 4 people. Chances are we have a coupon or some other special.

We have cut back our entertainment. We go to matinee movies or rent videos. Our local town has free concerts in the park on Fridays. We pack our camping chairs and enjoy!

I cook most of our meals, so I buy main staples in bulk and divide them up into airtight or freezer packages. So, meat is mainly bought in big packages, etc. I also am choosy about buying what is seasonal and on special and plan my home meals around that.

For saving costs on my trip....

I am the only drinker of the family, so I am bringing my own "cocktails" and wine. I plan on having a drink once in awhile on board, but I really like a glass of wine with dinner. A wine package on board is'nt economical for just one person, and the corkage fee does'nt fly when the bottle only cost 12-15. I live near the Napa Valley, so I can get some very quality wine on the cheap!

Clothes: I hunted way ahead of time for a dress for the formal night. I found a simple black dress that I can dress up with accessories for under $30. Look at places like Marshalls or Ross for dressy clothes at deep discounts. I also found a beautiful dress for my daughter that we used for a wedding and this trip.

Land's End has some great quality summer clothes and bathing suits. One of the hottest things for ladies right now are mix and match seperates. They are very reasonable and last a long time. I am bringing the same suit from three years ago and it still looks new!

For men, skip the tux. Unless it is a really special occaision (Anniversary, Holiday, Wedding renewal) a nice suit or sports coat will do the trick.

Bring all those necessary toiletries that you will need in SMALL bottles. Sundries such as suntan lotion and sunburn creams (aloe) are very COSTLY. Create a small medical needs bag. Have your own "ailment" kit. Bendryl, Midol, Neosporin, etc. If you are prone to allergies, tummy aches from over indulging, etc. Bring those things just in case....

Digital Camera: There was another post that gave all the good news. I do it to save $ on film and so I can pick and choose the best pics. No waste.

Have kids? Keep them on budget too. After we save the change, we deposit in the bank. I make a bank book for each of them on the computer. They have a starting balance and have to keep track of what they spend. When it is GONE, it is gone. Who says a vacation can not be educational too?

Happy Saving!:wave:

thanks for all the advice..i was asking abouot being frugal on thte cruise but this has been very helpful

we have thought aboutthese same things DH is going to apply at Home Depot hopeing to get hired for part time eather on a saturday or a sunday to go with his full time job

Here's my 2 cents...

Frugal in general - We do the coin bank, it seems like absolutely nothing but it's sure nice to have that extra $500 to spend on "stuff" ( we saved one year 2 adults, 2 kids not trying really hard just emptying the change purse and pockets now and again)

Frugal on the cruise - We paid big money for an excursion, did I enjoy it yes, will I do it again...NO. I would rather enjoyu everything I have already paid for on the boat. On our next 7 day I will be very hard pressed too buy any excursion, I think I'll do a little t-shirt shopping, maybe hit a well recommended beach and go back on-board.
Skip the Spa, you can always do it at home. Shutters, the prices can really add up, take your own photos.

Things you will not regret - Palo's, meeting with fellow Dis'ers it was free - we did our own wine tasting- and met and had a Great time!!!

If you cut out the drinks and bingo, you're saving quite a lot of money. You can bring your own drinks - and for that matter, bring your own bingo game :p and you can win every time if you like! Shutters is a big-time hit in the cash also.

My wife and I stayed away from the spa and the excursions, and we returned to the ship for meals rather than eating in the ports. We did buy a couple photos at Shutters and a few gifts for our kids in port, but that was about it.

As mentioned, don't cut on the tips - think of those as required expenses. This might sound a little silly, but our grocery budget is $150/week - close to the recommended tip for 2 people on a 7 day cruise. So we took that week's grocery cash, plus a little extra since we expected "excellent" service, and stuffed in an envelope in the safe so we wouldn't be tempted to spend it.

Some expenses, I think, are worthwhile. For example, activities at Palo.

Other ways to be frugal: pack a cooler with sandwiches, drinks, etc for the trip down, layoff the priced drinks (soda, wine, etc) or bring your own on-board, use priceline for your hotel the night before if needed, look at other parking combinations like the Radisson or renting a car but turning it in before you cruise, looking for cheaper souvenirs like postcards sent from the CC post office or the free trading cards the DCL staff hands out, and staying in a lower category room and cruising in the off-season.

Then there's always ways to generate cash to pay for one's cruising habits. Outside of my job, I write technical articles for web-zines which pay nicely (usually $1,000 per article). I also used to also buy up collectible stamps and sterling silver and sell them on ebay, though everyone seems to be doing that these days.

Sam

For being frugal on the ship...watch that alcohol consumption...that is one bill that will sneak up one you...trust me!;)

We were on a tight budget for our cruise, so I wanted to make sure we had enough $$$ to pay for extra things.

Some thoughts:

Check your major credit card and if it earns points because sometimes those points can be used towards amex gift checques or travelers checks. The $200 in amex checques covered our excursions. Also, whatever money from my 'allowance' that wasn't spent that week was tucked away. By the time we left, I had about $900 in cash to take with us.

We did a 7 day cruise, two adults, no kids. We paid cash for the cruise and I had a $ amount figured out for how much we'd spend on photos, drinks, souveniers and jewelry (charms for my bracelet). We went way over on photos (had film developed onboard too), came in way under on drinks (brought water and diet coke with us), and went over on the souveniers and jewelry categories, but nothing too horrendous. If they hadn't had that Fresh Produce store in Key West, I would have been fine! ;)

I played Bingo twice ($70), which I didn't count on. So, I'll have a much better idea of what we'll spend money on the next time. It's hard to know how much you'll spend until you've actually gone on the trip!

Other than tips, you don't need to spend a dime beyond what you have already paid for the cruise.
We spent $1,000 for the 4 of us, $800 of it on shore excursions.
The rest was souveniers, 4 bottles of wine, and 2 bottles of Martinelli's Sparkeling Cider for the kids (at $18 per bottle, nice markup for an item that retails for $2.25, and is often on sale for $1.50 or less).
You won't go hungry, you won't be thirsty, and you won't be bored if you just enjoy the ship, and take your own walking tours in the ports. We were on the Eastern, and the ship docks where there are plenty of place to explore for free.

I agree with previous posters about:
ALCOHOL - DCL is one of the only cruiselines that lets you BYOB - so bring your own beverage - soda, wine, beer or the your favorite booze.
PICTURES - the CM's are very generous about taking pics of you and your family with your camera - eliminating the need to spend too much at Shutters
SPA - the services can really add up
GAMEROOM - the gamecards can add up quickly too.

Keep reading the boards...figure out your "must-dos" i.e. Palo, and skip the things that don't interest you (for me it was the spa). There are many things to do on board that do not cost extra.

I forgot to add into my expenses the price of Palo and the tips associated with it. Yes, I agree, a must do ;) .

Originally posted by CACruiser
I am the only drinker of the family, so I am bringing my own "cocktails" and wine. I plan on having a drink once in awhile on board, but I really like a glass of wine with dinner. A wine package on board is'nt economical for just one person, and the corkage fee does'nt fly when the bottle only cost 12-15. I live near the Napa Valley, so I can get some very quality wine on the cheap!
I read their wine package online and almost fainted!!!!! We can buy those coastal (California) wines at Albertson's for like $9 a bottle and they are charging 2 or 3 times that!!!!:earseek: I feel sorry for people who get suckered into that package!!! :rotfl:

Now how exactly do you BYOB on board? Do you just bring it in your luggage? (My poison is vodka and I also enjoy wine.) I am wondering if packing a corckscrew is going to cause problems at the airport??

I just started buying $100 in Disney Dollars a month until our cruise in Jan. By the time we go, we should have $800-$900 saved up. We'll just put these toward our shipboard account when we get there.
We're also doing the change thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter