Cruise Cash?

Roop

Earning My Ears
Do bars, coffee shop, stores etc accept cash on cruise? Or do you have to use your room card linked to your credit card?

With the exception of room service tips...which is paid with cash, Everything on the ship that you spend money on is linked to your on-board account which is paid by various methods. You can pay cash to guest services and have it applied to your on board account. You can also use Disney gift cards and have them applied to your account. But most people just link a credit card to their account.

Slightly off topic, but kinda along the same lines.

We have some excursions set up through Disney. If we chose to purchase pictures and/or videos, do we pay the excursion company directly with cash or credit or does it go back to our Disney account? I think the answer would be direct to excursion company, but I would like verification.

I hope to use cash as I want to negotiate with the price...

I'd like to know too as I hate carrying cash! For the excursion pictures, can I pay with CC?

With the exception of room service tips...which is paid with cash, Everything on the ship that you spend money on is linked to your on-board account which is paid by various methods. You can pay cash to guest services and have it applied to your on board account. You can also use Disney gift cards and have them applied to your account. But most people just link a credit card to their account.

I thought you could add a tip for room service on the receipt when they deliver. Is this not the case?

You only get a receipt if you order an item with a charge. We have never had a receipt with rooms service. We just bring ones and leave them in the safe. As we order room service we pull a couple one out.

Do you have to tip every time for room service or can you pay at the end like others?

Slightly off topic, but kinda along the same lines.

We have some excursions set up through Disney. If we chose to purchase pictures and/or videos, do we pay the excursion company directly with cash or credit or does it go back to our Disney account? I think the answer would be direct to excursion company, but I would like verification.

I hope to use cash as I want to negotiate with the price...

You need to pay the excursion company directly for photo packages/videos. Most companies will take credit, all will take cash, but you need to check with them directly.

Do you have to tip every time for room service or can you pay at the end like others?

Tipping should be done every time. There is not a category for room service tipping at the end of the cruise. However, some could argue that tips made to servers could cover room service as well. We're only talking a buck or 2 for each delivery.

You don't have to tip at all for anyone. It's just common courtesy though. You can also increase and or decrease gratuities paid to room host and dining staff.

JW

You only get a receipt if you order an item with a charge. We have never had a receipt with rooms service. We just bring ones and leave them in the safe. As we order room service we pull a couple one out.

Plus when you add a tip to a receipt, the tip goes into a general tip fund that many CMs share (I asked a CM about this). This may or may not be what you want to do.

Question on needing cash for tips and ports.. is there an ATM on board the ship? Or should I be stocking up on cash before we leave port (having lots of cash on me at once makes me uncomfortable..)

Hi - do you have to link gift cards to the account or can you pay with them direct? I have had a US friend get gift cards for my kids so they can use them onboard. I'll be gutted if they can't use them in the shops :(

Hi - do you have to link gift cards to the account or can you pay with them direct? I have had a US friend get gift cards for my kids so they can use them onboard. I'll be gutted if they can't use them in the shops :(

The shops will take gift cards directly, but everywhere else will only take the KTTW card.

We were told that you cannot use the actual gift card in the shops on the Cruise....maybe because it is just easier not to....I'm not sure. We have always given the gift cards to guest services and they apply them to your account. Then used our "Key to the World" Card to buy stuff from the shop. Also, I have heard that if you give more gift cards to apply to your account and you don't use all the money....then it is very hard to get that refunded if at all....unfortunately we have never had a problem spending the money.

We were told that you cannot use the actual gift card in the shops on the Cruise....maybe because it is just easier not to....I'm not sure. We have always given the gift cards to guest services and they apply them to your account. Then used our "Key to the World" Card to buy stuff from the shop. Also, I have heard that if you give more gift cards to apply to your account and you don't use all the money....then it is very hard to get that refunded if at all....unfortunately we have never had a problem spending the money.
Thanks - I only got them $25 each so that won't be a problem for my kids either!! :)

The shops will take gift cards directly, but everywhere else will only take the KTTW card.

Perhaps not all of the shops. I was on the Fantasy in April. A teenage boy was trying to buy merchandise in the Mickey's Mainsails shop and use a gift card. The CM told the boy that they did not accept the gift card there and that he would have to use his KTTW card instead. I don't know if this was an isolated instance and it was not an issue with the card not working because the CM never tried to run the card on the reader.

Also, I have heard that if you give more gift cards to apply to your account and you don't use all the money....then it is very hard to get that refunded if at all....unfortunately we have never had a problem spending the money.

My understanding is that if you have multiple gift cards that you give to guest services you need to hold on to every single one because if you do have any money left over they need to put it back on the exact card that those remaining funds initiated from.

You can go to the Disney gift card website (https://www.disneygiftcard.com/) and combine funds from multiple gift cards all onto one card. This way you only have to worry about keeping up with one for the duration of the cruise. This is what we did and it made everything very simple (of course we spent all of the gift card amounts so we didn't need a refund).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter