• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I understood Chapek right, they aren't even trying to cover *all* their fixed costs. Just as much as they can. As soon as they cover incremental variable costs every additional dollar they take in is 1 less dollar than they are losing right now.

Yeah right now they just want to make sure that opening doesn't cost them more money. As long as revenue > incremental costs then it is worth reopening things which is why we are seeing not all resorts open at first and all that which is to keep those incremental costs down and make it easier to hit that goal.

My guess is they'll start taking 2021 reservations this week, initially just allowing people to move out 2020 trips, then eventually opening it up to everyone.

Happy we booked GDT for next April/May in February! 😂 Now just to see what ticket purchases look like in the future...

Ok, this isn't going to help, but I'm feeling confident that "soon" is becoming "very soon." Wish I knew when that would be, but I don't. However, with the NBA information "leaked," there already seems to be a bit firmer of an idea of what the next steps are (that's a definitive change from even this weekend). Here's all I'm going to share:

Value/Mod guests are going to be upset about some things. DVC Members are going to be upset about some things. AP holders are going to be upset about some things.

You missed deluxe resort guest are going to be upset by some things. At least, GF & YC guests.....

IMHO if they move the value and mods they will not have to pay rack of the new resort.

It isn't out of the question to require them to pay more to upgrade.

It's also possible they could just cancel all the value/mod reservations and give them a window where they can rebook at a resort that is open at current rates.

I don't think anything is off the table at this point

I called a CM yesterday and was told the opposite, they dont know what they are doing. LOL

They know what they are doing but they simply don't have information but are trying to answer questions as best they can. It probably would be better to just say I don't know but right now 90% of their calls would probably be saying I don't know and nothing else. They are between a rock and a hard place. I feel for them.

The only thing in that list that would really bother me is not being able to go to a park everyday. I wouldn't mind if we couldn't get our first choice for every day, but I would really have a hard time justifying a trip and sitting around in the resort for a decent part of it.

It would ultimately be too much work, but a 4 plus day visit should guarantee a visit to every park.

IMHO if they move the value and mods they will not have to pay rack of the new resort.
I have a reservation at ASMU for 7/17-7/27. I called yesterday to confirm that my balance can be paid off within 7 days. The CM told me that my resort would not be open and that I will be able to book a new reservation for the same dates at a DVC or deluxe and be given a 35% discount off those rates. I already have 35% off because I had free dining, but she seemed to think that everyone in a value or mod would get 35% off. I'm not saying I believe her...just sharing the information I was given. She also said I should be receiving an email...SOON. :rolleyes1

I called a CM yesterday and was told the opposite, they dont know what they are doing. LOL
Personally, I just want to know if and when I could possibly modify my existing mid September reservation. I would hope that at least one value and one of two moderate resorts would be open at that point. I have two rooms at All-star Music which I highly doubt will be open since they were in the middle of refurbishing their rooms but I'm will to pay the difference as long as I can keep my 35% room discount when I lost my bounceback offer. I wish I didn't need two rooms but we are four co-workers (with three females and one male) and as much as we love our male coworker, nobody grants to sleep with him LOL

It would ultimately be too much work, but a 4 plus day visit should guarantee a visit to every park.
I agree, I also assume that your booking window for park reservations will open for all days of your trip at the same time so theoretically you would have an easier time booking parks at the end of your trip. I just don't think I want to go on a longer trip if I won't be able to go to the parks every day. We have an 8 day trip planned for September and I wouldn't want to spend more than one day of that without going to the parks. If that were the case, we would just cancel and go elsewhere.

I was joking. It’s not exactly a massive, brilliant prediction giving me bragging rights. That goes to Sven/Flynn anyway, doesn’t it? But hey; I was right and I’m proud of it! :)

Again, joking. You know ha ha...

Seriously, whether they go to the parks or not shouldn’t bother anyone. It’s not like it’s affecting anyone. Probably better than going during park hours and people have to wait while they funnel vips thru.

I would much rather have them have thier own event rather than be there with all the day guests as well..

Would it not have been much easier just to allow folks who are staying on-site to visit the parks for the first couple of weeks or so, and everyone else would still receive the "free" extension on APs, tickets, etc.? They would not need the fancy "reservation" system.....just the basic magic bands. They could control numbers further by only opening some of the resorts, etc. which is something they already are doing. They are offering some hybrid model (details still being worked out) which gets them almost to the same place, but seems overly complicated to me. I am sure it will all be fine as the tech folks at Disney need something to do I guess.

The reservation system appears to be about the long term game, not just the weeks/months following opening. The ability to be able to control how many people are in each park would be very helpful come future spikes and waves. They’re not changing over their entire system because of a few weeks of need.

Despite the Jambo closing message, DVC owners can still book the resort after June 22. I chose dates in early July and it appeared it was going to let me finish the booking. Kind of a mixed message!

They can’t not legally shut it down...I think that is the point. So, if you choose it and it is closed, you will be moved...If you choose it, and it is open by then you sill be moved there. That is how they will track whether it needs to open. If it was not bookable, then the rooms would be out of service and skew booking.

I still believe it won’t until the hotel does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter