Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is the logistics. They simply don't have enough tests to do that. Be it government red-tape holding it up, accuracy issues, etc. - that's just not a viable option yet.
I think airlines(open, but bookings way down), Disney and everything may open with a strong show of testing (be it actual tests, taking temps, etc.) but then it will fall by the wayside rather quickly.
You're looking at the situation now and not what the situation will be in three to four months. I have no doubt that demand for rapid tests will lead to an abundant supply of rapid tests in a few months. There is a huge financial incentive for that to be the case.

You're looking at the situation now and not what the situation will be in three to four months. I have no doubt that demand for rapid tests will lead to an abundant supply of rapid tests in a few months. There is a huge financial incentive for that to be the case.

I hope so! I don't have much confidence based on track record of testing so far though. ;)

Temperature checks are another level of security theatre IMO. If they’re done they’re done and that’s that, and honestly I think they may be more useful in slowing the spread of the seasonal flu that rears it’s ugly head every year at WDW.

I do wonder what happens when someone fails though. They just get right back on (maybe crowded) Disney transport? They head back to their resort to hang out in crowded areas? They go to Disney Springs? They try again at a different park or make an attempt to bring down the fever?
bingo
just like 99% of “security“ it is designed to give a feel good feeling and not much more.
taking temps is a big gamble too based on what your response is. For example, if Dad fails do you let the mom and the kids in but tell dad to leave? Do you let no one in?
do you allow them back at the resort, on transportation?? The backlash/lawsuits could be massive ex if you remove someone who then gets a negative test result

For positivity, all trends are going in a great direction as expected. I still thinking mid May for Springs to open and then parks by July 1st, but then again who knows. I am also thinking temp checks will be considered but deemed to much of an issue just like posters have described it in this thread.

This week will tell us a lot

Side note, from all my posting I learned I hate spellcheck ;)

For postivity, all trends are going in a great direction as expected. I still thinking mid May for Springs to open and then parks by July 1st, but then again who knows. This week will tell us a lot

I’m interested in the next 2-3 weeks and if we see spikes from this weekend. What happens after a weekend where some people relaxed their social distancing, a weekend where just before it started grocery stores were very busy, could give us hints of what we may see when things start opening back up.

Disney Springs can potentially be a good test for Disney, and I agree with your timeframe between Springs and everything else opening, but I think this past weekend may be a small test to gauge when things like malls (Disney Springs) can attempt to open. As an aside, I would be very surprised to see places like Disney open up before schools do. I’m looking to that before the Asian parks, although I think the Asian parks are good to watch to see the method used when opening.

For postivity, all trends are going in a great direction as expected. I still thinking mid May for Springs to open and then parks by July 1st, but then again who knows. This week will tell us a lot
I would urge some great caution with any numbers released last 3-4 days because of the Easter break. If numbers are still low by Thursday, I will jump onto your optimism bandwagon. For example, the UK figures look like they peaked a few days ago, but I'm not convinced - I suspect we may see a bit of an increase in the figures Tuesday to Thursday due to delays in admin over the Easter weekend. Does the US have any public holidays over the Easter weekend - we have Good Friday and Easter Monday off in the UK. It is noticeable that weekends have an effect in numbers of confirmed cases, and an even longers Easter weekend is bound to exacerbate that.

If these numbers stay low, though, then I might just revise my 1st July estimate. 1st June will still be too much to hope for, but I can easily see late May for Disney Springs to open, then sometime in June for the parks - maybe 3rd week. The interesting question is do you open resorts before the parks - personally, I think that is a waste of time - no point going to a hotel if the parks aren't open. But they opened the hotels in Shanghai, without the parks being open (which I can't really understand).

Also what do people def as large gatherings? I NFL game that packs in thousands is totally different then a kids soccer game, or a local dance recital, and so on.

I do see things coming back in stages, but it has to be logical. Kids need summer camps so parents can work, day cares need to open for same reasons.

I think inititally it will be in the 50-100 range as the limit for restaurants/stores/etc. Even if the number was below that I think things any kind of team sports will be in a later phase. Kids soccer games probably before something like the nfl but after restaurants and the like.

Basically there needs to be a phased approach to it. Implement phase 1, if in a few weeks things look good then move to phase 2 and so on. Ideally the whole list of phases are released at the same time.

I think inititally it will be in the 50-100 range as the limit for restaurants/stores/etc. Even if the number was below that I think things any kind of team sports will be in a later phase. Kids soccer games probably before something like the nfl but after restaurants and the like.

Basically there needs to be a phased approach to it. Implement phase 1, if in a few weeks things look good then move to phase 2 and so on. Ideally the whole list of phases are released at the same time.
"Mass gatherings" are banned generically based on numbers because it is simple to do that, rather than to evaluate each on a case by case basis, which is what WHO recommends.

What looks like a "mass gathering," from the quantities involved, if managed properly (6 feet, temp checks, face masks) is not all that different than my grocery store, which after the governor of Ohio required limits on entry based on among other things square feet, now has a maximum capacity of 1,000.

MK could easily operate with 15,000 people in the park (after a lot of operational changes to make the 6 feet do-able.)

Another way to think of this is that the key is physical distance and ventilation.* Everything beyond those (mass gatherings, stay-at-home, work-at-home, close inessential businesses) is a way to make violations of physical distancing concepts less likely.

If you think of it this way, "mass gatherings" becomes a bit of a red herring in the arguments about whether or not the parks will open, and when. The issue is physical distancing.**

*You still need to act as though you are infectious of course--take your temp, stay home if you are sick. And you still need to protect yourself-- try not to touch anything you don't have to, wash your hands, don't touch your face between handwashings....

**My grocery store does not require temp checks or face masks, although the work setting I lead does, and you will get a funny look at the grocery store if you don't have a face mask on. WDW will be doing temp checks and face masks, I'd guess, based on the liability it otherwise creates for its cast members if they don't. Those not willing to abide by whatever rules are in place at the time, including whatever refund policies they promulgate, should stay home.

I would expect that we may see the 15 minute COVID test become mandatory before you are allowed to do things like board a plane or come onto Disney property.

Some logistical problems with this.

- PR problem for one. Might be going a little too far.
- the 14 day incubation period. They test negative today tomorrow the symptoms come and they are positive.

The immune testing is more important than the 15 min test.

We're not putting 20,000 people in one space until there's a vaccine or a better screening procedure. Taking temperatures doesn't work.

A lot of you seem to be in denial about what our future holds. You're not going to a park, movie, or sporting event in 2020. No matter how much you want to.

Not everyone is going to voluntarily inject themselves with some random vaccine that is supposed to “work the same for all”.

Not everyone is genetically the same, nor should they be “required” to vaccinate. It’s a freedom of choice.

Disney will open without that stipulation.

Things will open sooner than later, buckle up. Texas is starting very soon and they will prove a point also.

Basically .. things should open up and people should take their own precautions. If someone is afraid of going to a mass gathering and getting the virus, then don't go. People were and are already (voluntarily) making that choice.

If you don't want to risk getting the virus, don't go anywhere. If you are healthy and you feel the place you are going is taking adequate safety precautions (like EVERYONE is doing now with grocery stores, take-out, doctor's offices, pharamcies, etc.) .. then you go. Simple as that. If you catch the virus, stay home to prevent it from spreading.

If you can go to an essential grocery store (where everyone in your neighborhood goes about once a week or so) ... you should be able to make the choice to go to a sit-down restaurant, nail salon, gym, etc .. where FAR less people congregate in far lesser numbers. Stores should be able to be open and make their OWN safety precautions (sit people at every other table, enhanced cleaning, etc.) in order to get their restaurant back up and running. Disney should eventually do the same.

Not everyone is going to voluntarily inject themselves with some random vaccine that is supposed to “work the same for all”.

Not everyone is genetically the same, nor should they be “required” to vaccinate. It’s a freedom of choice.

Disney will open without that stipulation.

Things will open sooner than later, buckle up. Texas is starting very soon and they will prove a point also.
Texas opening up soon is absolutely going to prove a point, it’s just not the point you think it is.

Basically .. things should open up and people should take their own precautions. If someone is afraid of going to a mass gathering and getting the virus, then don't go. People were and are already (voluntarily) making that choice.

If you don't want to risk getting the virus, don't go anywhere. If you are healthy and you feel the place you are going is taking adequate safety precautions (like EVERYONE is doing now with grocery stores, take-out, doctor's offices, pharamcies, etc.) .. then you go. Simple as that. If you catch the virus, stay home to prevent it from spreading.

If you can go to an essential grocery store (where everyone in your neighborhood goes about once a week or so) ... you should be able to make the choice to go to a sit-down restaurant, nail salon, gym, etc .. where FAR less people congregate in far lesser numbers. Stores should be able to be open and make their OWN safety precautions (sit people at every other table, enhanced cleaning, etc.) in order to get their restaurant back up and running. Disney should eventually do the same.

This! You said it great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter