• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Disney world combo info.

Sofia's Dad

Walt's Friends
My wife is very much wanting to do a Disney Cruise. Neither one of us had ever been on a cruise but the ads look great. We have a daughter who is now 8. Thinking of a Cruise/Disneyworld combo. With our daughter we have been at Disney World 3 times. We go on an average every other year. We had a good trip last August/September of this year. Wasn't crazy of where we stayed so I guess its the reason we would like to try a cruise. Still had fun because it is Disney. Thinking of going sometime in 2012. Any suggestions, thoughts and experiences you can share. Would like to go 8 to 9 days total.

I believe they are no longer booking as a land/sea package. You would need to book the cruise and the WDW portion separately. This appears to be working out better, I remember a lot of consternation because you couldn't get a dining plan with a land/sea package.

Book early. Prices only go up as availability goes down. The deposit is 100% refundable if you change your mind later as long as you cancel before the final payment due date.
Personally, I'd go for the longer cruise if you've already done WDW more than once. With the short ones, by the time you get to know your way around, it's time to get off the ship. The service is way better than WDW so you won't want to leave the ship. If you really can't go to FL and not do WDW, do that 1st; the cruise is so relaxing. :cloud9:

Forgot to mention, check out disneycruise.com and order the dvd. Also watch the Disney cruise show on the travel channel if you get it. It plays around every 2-3 months.

We did Land/Sea cruises when they were available and LOVED having the cruise afterwards to relax from the craziness of the parks. I would say at the MINIMUM do 4 days on the boat after 4 days in the parks. If you can swing 5 days on the boat, all the better.

I would do 3-4 days at the parks and head over for the 5 day Dream (they have a special cruise in 2012 where they stop 2x at Castaway Cay) that would be a dream trip...(it's what we're planning b/c it falls on our 20th wedding anniversary! :laughing:)

You'll love it! Our family went about every other year to the parks, but it's been back to back cruises for us, we love them! :)
Tara

As a previous poster had written, I believe that the land/sea combos are no longer available. You will have to book them separately, but I also read that it was cheaper doing it this way than going with the Disney package.

We always go to WDW first and we try to give ourselves at least three full days there before getting on the ship. And if you can swing it I would not go on anything less than four nights for the cruise portion. Even this will feel way too short of time, way too many activities and places to explore once on board.

However it works out for you and your family I'm sure you'll have a great time. It's a Disney vacation :thumbsup2

We do one day at Disney, 4 day cruise then 2 or more days at Disney. I wish we could do all days at Disney first then relax on the cruise but the way my kids break works out does not allow for that.

While the official Land/Sea package is no longer offered.....it is around in a modified format....

If you are on the DCL website and want to add days at WDW either before or after your cruise you can do that in the booking process (the 2012 dates are not out yet). That said....I do not recommend booking this way. The rates for WDW that you will get at the DCL site are rack rates so I don't see any benefit to adding them to cruise ressie. They no longer include tickets so I don't see the benefit.

I think booking WDW rooms separately makes much more sense as you can take advantage of any room specials or pin codes that come out. I do not believe you can add a pin code or special rate to WDW rooms booked at the
DCL site.

But, to be sure...price out your WDW room separately and at the DCL site in conjunction with your cruise and see which way comes out cheaper.

You can still add transfers if you want to make it seamless.

MJ

As others have posted, even though they don't offer the land/sea packages anymore, it's more cost effective to book separately. That way you can take advantage of any deals offered for WDW such as free dining or room discount as MJ mentioned.

Another suggestion - if you can try to plan to cruise after the land portion of your trip. We did it this way and it worked out very well. After twelve days at WDW we were ready for some relaxation.

Have fun planning!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter