• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise 10/11/2003 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had an exciting day today! The Internal Medicine doc who works with us was just starting her last day working with us (before going on maternity leave) when SURPRISE!!! She went into labor! She finished her morning patients and then had one of the OB/Gyn doc examine her....YUP...Labor! She delivered this aftrenoon, just before we closed 7# Baby girl!

I just finished a purchase on E-Bay. I was looking for some 2-way radios for the trip. I got a great buy on 6 Talkabouts for $56.00!!After the cruise we will ba able to use them for Boy Scouts!

Eric..the web page looks GREAT! So nice to see some faces! Jen and Peter...guess we will have to wait to see what you look like. The Picture is too far away!

Ave...thanks for all the hard work with the Brunch. It's going to be a blast! Remember to have a chair for PINKI at my table!!!

We had an interesting day also Mary. Not quite as exciting as yours though. We have a set of twins that are being adopted. They were born on July 30 and the couple that is adopting them are from (are you ready?) Philadelphia, Pa. They are staying in a motel close to us until the adoption is final and then they will be returning to Pa. The couple are in their mid to late 40's and this was their only chance for kids. They are tickled pink:teeth:

Thanks to everyone for all of their hard work over these many months that is making this a very special cruise. I think that Pinky will enjoy himself spending half his year in Pa and the other half in Tennessee.

Mike

Cheeseplease--- Are you as stiff and sore as we are from moving DD into college? It has been 2 days and I still ache.

We have been in a PennDot (PA Dept of Transportation) nightmare. We have owned our Saturn for 3 years and it was due for registration this month. I never received the registration form in the mail, so tried to do it online. No success, so pulled off the form from the website and mailed in on 8/2 along with a check. Well, they cashed the check, but sent me a letter telling me I don't own the car. The title isn't in my name so I can't register the vechicle. Went to AAA to see if I could get it straighened out, no luck there. Tried to get information on the phone, can't do it by phone. So Norm and I had to travel to Harrisburg to PennDot to get it fixed. After 2 1/2 hours, I finally reowned my car and got the registration. Thank heavens we only live 30 minutes from Harrisburg as I only needed to take a 1/2 day off from work to get it straigtened out. Then doesn't DS#1 call me to tell me he went to register his car at school and can't find the current registration card. So off to AAA, I go to get a replacement card. Enough already.

Ave--- Thanks for all your hard work with the brunch.

Eric--- Thanks for the updated list and all your work on our website.

Off to bed I go.

Nancy

Nancy,
your registration problems sound very "German" to me ;)
The very first thing you learn over here: You can't beat the bureaucracy - or should I say bureaucraZy :p

Eric, thanks for the update.

Didn't know Colleen sent in another pic, this pic is at Disneys Hilton Head Island Resort.

Colleen has been busy with shopping, Becca, and housework, so I am posting for both of us.

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon.

Seeya,

Don:smooth:

Don,
Colleen sent this pic first, many weeks ago. As Y'all (Here you see Mike's bad influence on me) were barely recognizable on the picture with the carriage she asked me to replace it.

Walt,
I just mailed you back - I got your mail.

Good Morning everyone! 45 days to go!!!!

Nancy..the DMV was so bad here in Charleston that they had to SHUT IT DOWN for a week to fix the problems. A new computer system has now been installed and things are much better. I registered Georges truck on line, paid on line and got the registration in the mail 3 days later!

Don...the new pic is MUCH better:) We have been to HHI resort 4 times and like it very much. It's a short 2 hour trip for us. We are going again in Feb.2004

Ave:

I think I emailed you my room number for the Palo brunch but since we are getting an upgrade we were told that we wont have our new stateroom number until we receive our cruise documents. When I get the documents I will send you my room #.

Arlene

Arlene,
I will put your names ASAP onto the website.

Ave,
Anja & I have decided not to do the Palo Brunch as the food offered on the ship is far too rich anyway and we don't intend to return to Germany with additional weight - apart from our shopping, of course ;)
Instead we will use that time to go to the gym or do some running around the ship - and prepare ourselves for the retrieval of Pinky to make sure that he will find his way to Europe.

Originally posted by Twinave
OK, here goes.... Twswira-1, ....
It's no big deal, but I thought maybe I should correct my DIS name with you just in case, since it seems to always be on your list as "Twswira." :jester: ?

It should be "taswira." For anyone curious, it is a Kiswahili word roughly translating to "image" or "images," which I chose because I'm a wildlife photographer.

I would volunteer to make ressies except that I am not sure when I will arrive at the port. If I drive myself, it will be early. But I am trying to talk a friend into driving me, in which case I will likely be later. I might not know until that morning.

Eric - I second everyone else's comments on your web page. Great job!

Shari

Hi From Minnesota,

Eric, again thanks for all the work you are doing to make this a most enjoyable cruise for all of us.

It is still hot here with very little rain in site. Lawns are browning. Weather should break this weekend. So for us it is the end of the season for boating and swimming at the lake. We will take the dock and boat in this weekend. Our kids go back to school on Tuesday. We will go to the Minnesota State Fair this weekend and enjoy the food. Then I will have have to walk it off. (Eric you are inspiring me and I am up to walking about 2 miles every other day on the treadmill)

We had a pleasant surprise this past week as our home and our neighbors were picked for a commercial to be shot for the use of our rear deck for a national awning company. Company reps were here to install it yesterday so we get to keep the awning plus get paid for the use of our rear yard. I am told it will be very crazy here next week. Video/commerical first day and then still pictures the next.

The anticipation is growing for the cruise and the suitcases will come out shortly so I can start the packing. Yeh!!!!

DD Lia is back to college this week. She stills lives at home to save money.

Ross (Pro Bass Fisherman) is doing well in the standings this year among the anglers. He holds his own for being 20 years old with the older pro's. He does guide trips and does quite well with that
along with charitable events in the state.

We look forward to meeting all of you in October. We are still discussing the front /back positioning of the logos on the T-shirts.
Haven't quite decided yet but have enjoyed reading the posts on this particular subject.

Happy Labor Day Weekend to all!!!!

Nancy aka Boardwalk4me

Eric:

I apologize for being negligant in thanking you for the great job you have done on the website so

THANK YOU!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!

Arlene

Ok can someone post the address to the webpage? I lost it with the computer crash.

Thanks
Dan

Viking-
As always thanks for doing all this work for us.

ok -- have been trying to post for 2 days now but get interrupted everytime. It has been a really stressful 2 weeks as work has been really busy. Hopefully it will be better next week but we'll see. Every time we think we are getting ahead something more lands on the desk.

Jim is still the same. Basically he's really tired all the time. Monday he spent most of the day sleeping which is not usual for him at all. I'm the one that needs 9 hours sleep a night while he usually does quite well on 5 or 6. Yesterday was better -- at least he was up all day and we took a short walk after dinner last night as well. He also hasn't received a phone call that there was anything wrong with the heart moniter results so that's a good sign I hope.

Scouting -- both Jim and I were leaders for a number of years. Jim did work with Cubs which I think are about the same as Weblos. I was a beaver leader for a number of years which are boys (and now girls) aged 5-7. I don't think that they have Beavers in the US although they do in England. We were both Scout leaders which I found to be a lot of fun. They needed a female leader because the movement went co-ed here in Canada and they had female scouts but no female leader. Have spent lots of weekends camping and canoeing and it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately our group hasn't had any scout aged youth for the last few years so we haven't been active. We do attend Gilwell every year which is for those leaders that have their Woodbadge training. We actually have a couple of Americans who come up to the reunion every year. It's a weekend of seeing people that you don't normally see so it's a lot of fun. Hopefully Jim will be up to it and won't spend the weekend in the tent sleeping but it will be a test of how much energy he actually has.

Well should go and clear off part of my desk so that I can start this again tomorrow. Wish I was like Eric and all caught up but no such luck. Talk to me in January though and we'll have time.

Take care everyone.

Fiona

Eric, I'm glad to hear that you will be spending your time preparing for the retrieval of Pinky while we enjoy our brunch on Monday. But since the "Hunt" is on Sunday, you may be a little late. LOL. Pinky will be eating Brunch with us as we sail towards Grand Cayman.
Shari, sorry for flubbing your screen name.:( It's fixed.
Arlene, just shoot me the new stateroom number when you get it.
Brunch Update: Tiiigermom2 Marilyn and Richard will be joining us. That brings it to 52!!!!
:p :bounce: :Pinkbounc
Later, Ave'

Could I have more details on the brunch? Is anyone invited? :o

Since we have a few new cruisers I thought I would re-post the Meets and Greets info I have compiled.
Lisa the following has info on the Brunch as well as a BUNCH of other stuff:D

DIS MEETS AND GREETS

Oct 10 (Friday) Radisson Poolside Time 6 to ? hosted by Mary/RellingTwin and
Rosemary/Tulirose)

Any cruiser who is staying at the Radisson (or any other hotel/motel) near the port is welcome to join the DIS Meet and Greet. This will be held poolside at the Radisson from 6pm until..?VERY casual dress (please don’t feel you need to change from your travel clothes). The kids can swim while we chat. Light snacks (and maybe some wine?) will be served. Just inside the lobby is the hotel bar/restaurant for anyone wanting a beverage.
@GoofyNut will be there and will pass out nametags. RellingTwin (Mary) will also be passing out the lanyards to attach the nametag to.

Oct 11(Saturday) Deck 10 Overlooking the Goofy Pool (dock side) 4:45pm following the
lifeboat drill
This is the one you do NOT want to miss! We will gather to wave goodbye to Port Canaveral! Wear you CRUISETOBERFEST II T-shirts, and bring your camera. This will probably be the only time there will be this many DIS’ers in the same place. 2 years ago some of us started a tradition of passing out small gift items. Many people have asked me about this so here’s the scoop! IF you would like to pass out small items feel free to. Several people in the passed have brought items from their home state. For example: Buckeyes from Ohio, potato pins from Idaho, state flag stickers from Alaska, postcards ect. Other items I’ve seen are pens/pencils, bubbles, small novelty toys for the kids (like those from Oriental Trading Company) . SMALL and INEXPENSIVE are the key words here. MOST IMPORTANT!!!! PLEASE do NOT feel as if you MUST do this. I only include this info because so many people have asked about it.
Once out of the port, the Early diners usually leave to get ready for dinner.

Oct 12 1:00 Meeting place TBA Key West ScavengEAR Hunt (Tina/Hopkins)
Tina presented this idea months ago and it has grown into an EVENT! The following is the latest information from Tina. If this sounds like something you would like to do, email or PM Tina and she will add you to the group. PLEASE NOTE. Payment for this is due now! So if you want to sign up do so this week.

UPDATE!... ScavengEar Hunt in Key West
NEWS: WE MAY NOW START SENDING THE CHECKS INTO THE SCAVENGER HUNT PEOPLE. NOTE, THE NEW PROCEDURE, SINCE IT HAS CHANGED.

We are a step closer to the cruise. Also, the meeting place may change. We might be moved to a new location since we are now a MUCH larger group. We'll keep you update as the time gets closer.

We have the following people pre-registered.

dan and scott (Dan & Scott) - 2
cdnmickeylover (Fiona & Jim) - 2
Viking (Eric & Anja) - 2
Hopkins (Tina & Bill) - 2
RellingTwin (Mary, George, Regina & George) - 4
Twinave (Ave, Mark, Mary & Casey) - 4
Windermere (Nancy & George) - 2
scootersmom (Colleen, Don & Josh & Mandy) - 4
Missy and Tammy (Missy & Tammy) - 2
@GoofyNut (Cathy & Art) - 2
papa (Mike & Kathy) - 2
padisneyfan (Nancy & Norm) - 2
bettemom (Kim, Bette, Joseph & Jada) -4
Sarah'sMomfromPA (Mary Jo, Sam & Sarah) - 3
alikat99 (Amy, Chris & Emily) - 3
Okwmiester (Doug, Christy, Cori & Connor) - 4
Pooh Nate (Nate & Jean) - 2
Chuck and Dean (Chuck & Dean) - 2
CWD (Chris and Michelle) - 2
tiiigermom (Richard & Marilyn) - 2
Boardwalk4me (Nancy, Jeff, Lia, Alisa & Jeff) - 5
Silentshot (Jeff & Gaby) - 2
Cheese Please (Dave & Ellen) - 2

That's 61 people!!!!!

www.keywesthunt.com

*Cost?
It's $20/person for 3 hours. Kids 10 years and under are FREE. Prepayment by check is required two months prior to excursion (August). They don't take credit cards. If you are from outside the US, US Money Orders are accepted or if you have a US dollar account from a foreign bank you can draw a check on that.

We will be sending our checks to the following address:

The Southernmost Scavenger Hunt
3301 Pearl Ave
Key West, FL 33040

Please include a self addressed stamped envelope and also a NOTE with your names, e-mail address, date of hunt and DIS name. A new check will be issued from The Southernmost Scavenger Hunt to the envelope addressee and only be returned if the hunt is canceled due to the ship not arriving in Key West. No additional refunds will be made for cancellations, or people not arriving for the event.

***YOU MAY SEND CHECKS IN NOW***

*Place and time?
We are going to meet on Sunday, October 12th, 2003 at 1PM in front of the stairs to the Hilton Hotel Lobby. It's to the right of the red brick building (Custom House) as you leave the ship. The Magic usually docks in front of the Hilton Hotel. The hunt lasts from 1 PM to 4 PM. Remember to wear your ScavengEar t-shirts designed by @GoofyNut.

NOTE: The location may be moved since we are a large group. They'll let us know the exact start location and check in time closer to the event.

*Electric Cart?
If one needs an electric cart, the scavenger hunt people can point you in the right direction to rent one. The two electric cart places they use are Key West Cruisers @ (305)294-4724 http://keywest.com/keywestcruisers/ on Truman Ave at Truman and Duval and Reef Mobile (formerly Randal J Scooters) @ (305) 296-0208 www.reefmobile.com on Greene Street (near Sloppy Joes Bar on Duval). The Reef Mobile Electric Carts are themed, but have changed management and are going to be themed according to "reefs", like shark, manatee, dolphin, baracouda or octopus in a reef theme instead of the polka-dotted one on the hunt website. Call these companies to make reservations if you require an electric cart. An electric cart isn't necessary to experience this tour.

*Sites?
Southermost Point, Hemmingways House, Shipwreck, Cigar Place, Shrimp Dock and off the wall places you might not normally have known about. The normal Key West sites plus some interesting wacky ones, too. Learn about interesting facts and trivia of these landmarks and sites.

*Hunting for objects?
In addition to searching for the sites and answering the clues (all for points are counted at the end for prizes), there is an object named "PINKY". He is their mascot and if you find him, he is worth an extra 50 points. People in Key West know of Pinky the Flamingo. He's famous. As our award winning scavenger hunt is, too.

Since we are the ScavengEar hunt, our hunt has to have a pair of Mickey Ears, too. The back is sewn with the words "Pinky". At the end of the hunt, people gather at the "mystery location" for the awards ceremony where all the points are tallied and stories of our hunt are told.

That's it for now. They will be checking in on us to give our group more information, so they will be posting shortly and I will also. If more people want to join the group, just reply to this thread. If I missed someone, sorry. Just remind me, and I'll add you.

Tina

<>

Oct 13 10:30am Palo BRUNCH!(THE DIS’ers TAKE OVER PALO)

This is a load of fun for everyone! The food is wonderful, and the atmosphere is SO relaxing! We have too many people to use the private room, so we will break up into smaller tables and ask to be seated in the same area.TwinAve (Ave’) took care of the arrangements last year and did such a wonderful job we are letting her do it again. If you want to join the brunch but are worried about getting Flounder reservations for that time, there are some options. 1st book and then cancel if you can’t get in Flounders;2nd Book and hire the teenage daughter of one of the Dis’ers to mind the child(ren) while you dine.
OR, book, then tie the children up and lock them in the cabin. (Be sure to put the do not disturb sign on the door!)
Here is the latest information from Ave. I think she has had several people join since she last posted this so if your name is not on here and you have already contacted Ave about joining the BRUNCH, just let me know and I will add it. If you are not on this list and you HAVE NOT already contacted Ave about joining, e-mail her: TwinAve@aol.com

(posted by TwinAve)
We currently have 52 people signed up for brunch. What I do is make out index cards with 4-8 people on each card. Each table will have a "host".
At the meeting at the Raddison on Friday night I will give each host or hostess the card with the names of thier group and stateroom numbers. A host should be someone who plans on getting to the port early, and doesn't mind making the reservations. I am looking for volunteers. I will need about 7 hosts, but since Rellingtwin and I will take care of two tables, I will need 5 more.
On Sat. the host will go directly to the Palos reservation area and sign up thier table, then later at the sail away party each host can confirm the reservation was made. It sounds a little confusing, but it worked out Very well last year.
I try to group folks that are not dinning together at dinner. This way some of us who will not get a chance to dine with each other have a chance to share a meal. That said, this is your party, so if there are certain people you want to eat with, or would rather not eat with, now is the time to tell me. (with a PM or e-mail)
Please keep in mind that there is a $10. charge per person for this meal, which includes a glass of Champagne. And they can charge you if you are a "no show". But since we are At Sea that day, I really don't see that happening.
OK, Here's the List:
Twinave 1, Twswira 1, Papa 2, Rellingtwin 2, ARLO1 2, Padisneyfan 2, Bettemom 2, Sarahsmom 2, Hygiene99 2, Okwmiester 2, Cdnmickeylover 2, @Goofynut 2, Hopkins 2, Scootersmom 3, Matty204 2, CWD 2, Boardwalk4me 4, Tulirose 1, Alikat99 2, Cheeseplease 2. = 40
Later, Ave'(NOTE...This is OLD info...there are more names on the list now)

Oct 14 (Tuesday) 10:00am Captain Marvin’s Sting Ray Tour
This is the half-day tour of Stingray City and 2 other stops. This is a “book on your own” tour, but if you do, mention either the DIS Group or Cruisetoberfest when you book. Ruth at Captain Marvin’s has promised to try to keep our group together on the same boat. This tour comes highly recommended by many passed cruisers. The prices are less then DCL, and the boats have less people on board. The website is www.captainmarvins.com

T-SHIRTS!
Cathy (@GoofyNut) has been working on 2 logos for this year’s cruise. One is the CRUISETOBERFEST II logo; the other is for the Scavenger Hunt. Both logos will be e-mailed to everyone on Eric’s list.You will need to print these out on “iron on” transfer paper and iron them onto your own t-shirts. I think we talked about a yellow shirt for the Scavenger Hunt, but I’m not sure about the color for the CRUISETOBERFEST II shirt.

THE LIST
Eric has been working on the list of cruisers for almost a year! It includes names, ages, occupations, home town, stateroom number, early of late dinning, where you will be the night before the cruise, and any special occasion you might be celebrating on the cruise.
If you are already on the list, please check over your information and send corrections if needed. If you are NOT on the list and wish to be, e-mail Eric (Viking) with the information mentioned and you will be added at the next update. Please keep in mind that Eric and Anja will be leaving Germany for their vacation in the US 2 weeks BEFORE we sail. So send updates as soon as possible.

ADDITIONAL IDEAS FOR FUN!
The following ideas have been mentioned to me. They sound like a blast, but I am at my limit for planning things!J So if any of this sounds like something you would like to put together GO FOR IT!
“DRINK AROUND THE SHIP”…travel from club to club and visit all the watering holes aboard the Magic. This could be fun on an evening at sea, or on Grand Cayman night since we leave port early.

“MORNING WALK ON DECK 4” chat while you get you blood flowing!

“KIDS VS GROWN UPS BASKETBALL GAME” 2 kids for each adult!

That’s it gang! I will update this information as we get closer, with a final draft 2 weeks before we sail. I hope this information is helpful to everyone. I know it is hard to wade though hundreds of posts trying to gather information.

Mary aka RellingTwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter