CRT vs. Akershus

buttercup14

Mouseketeer
After re-gaining my love of all Disney princesses on my last trip, I decided I wanted to do a Princess character meal for my next trip. I went ahead and booked Akershus not even considering Cinderella's royal table might still have reservations free. To my surprise, the other day I saw they had some openings for while i'll be there.

I'm considering cancelling Akershus and booking CRT if I still can, but i'll have to switch a few other reservations around, is it worth the effort? I'm on the dining plan and will have enough credits for it, so cost isn't really an issue. Is there anyone who's been to both and can give me some insight? It's just me on the trip so no kids/tens/other adults to take into account.

CRT is about the experience. Akershus is more about character interaction.

I really enjoy CRT. Being in the castle, and the whole show of princesses is really fun.

Akershus is fun too, and my kids enjoy the little parade, but we just prefer the atmosphere of CRT.

After re-gaining my love of all Disney princesses on my last trip, I decided I wanted to do a Princess character meal for my next trip. I went ahead and booked Akershus not even considering Cinderella's royal table might still have reservations free. To my surprise, the other day I saw they had some openings for while i'll be there.

I'm considering cancelling Akershus and booking CRT if I still can, but i'll have to switch a few other reservations around, is it worth the effort? I'm on the dining plan and will have enough credits for it, so cost isn't really an issue. Is there anyone who's been to both and can give me some insight? It's just me on the trip so no kids/tens/other adults to take into account.
I am not a CRT fan. You pay a ridiculous amount of money to sit in an unbelievably loud restaurant, eat decent (but not great) food, and get very rushed character interaction. I just don't get the appeal.

I am not a CRT fan. You pay a ridiculous amount of money to sit in an unbelievably loud restaurant, eat decent (but not great) food, and get very rushed character interaction. I just don't get the appeal.

This - we use the dining plan and for us it's not worth the 2 credits in addition to what Alesia posted

We did CRT two years ago and Akershus last year. Hands down we loved CRT more. Something about eating in a castle just makes it wonderful. We actually found the character interactions better at CRT too but in all fairness at Alershus we had a table next to us of 20 people with the youngest being about 15 years old who all wanted individual pics with each princess and then group shots with various configurations as well. So when our turn came with a 7 year old the princesses spent maybe 5 seconds each with us because they had tons of tables to hit. It was horrible. We did breakfast at both and love CRT food more too. To me MK is all about the castle and eating in it is magical!

We've done both CRT and Akershus twice each. We liked atmosphere of CRT but the food was meh (breakfast) and $$$. We though character interaction better at Akershus and enjoyed the lunch menu much more. Both are great for meeting princesses and getting pics so you can't go wrong!

Are you looking at breakfast, lunch or dinner? We loved Akershus for breakfast last year.. For 1 TS credit on the ddp, it was awesome and we would probably pay out of pocket for it in the future since we loved it that much. The cold buffet and hot foods were great and the princesses were great. We are doing CRT this upcoming trip, for breakfast. We booked it mainly for the experience of eating in the castle. We are on the dining plan so we are using credits.. I don't think we'd ever pay out of pocket for CRT, as the prices are extremely high for breakfast even! I love the food menu at akershus but for breakfast only and love the location/experience at CRT.

I've done breakfast at both - CRT one and Akershus three times. Both were enjoyable experiences. I found the breakfast food at both good, but prefer the buffet option at Akershus. I also found Akershus better for character interaction. Plus the cheaper price makes Akershus a winner for my family. I'm glad I did CRT just for the "experience of eating in the castle", but I don't think we'll pay OOP again for it (we don't use the DDP).

We love breakfast at Akershus. We think that the food is great and love the characters. We also love dinner at CRT. I enjoy the whole experience there. There is nothing better than eating in the castle. We enjoyed the food for dinner and had great character interaction. Maybe do breakfast at one and dinner at the other!! Don't know if that would work better for you so you don't have to move so many of your other ADR!!

My kids just don't like Akershus food so we tend to enjoy the castle more. The experiences have always been wonderful at both for us.

We just did Akershus dinner on May 23 and CRT breakfast on May 24.

I thought then food at each location was just ok. My brother loved the buffet section of Akershus (he only cared about the food, not the character interaction at all). He thought his entree (braised beef I think) was ok but not great. I had the meatballs and liked them well enough, but it's not something I'm looking forward to trying again. DH had the salmon and didn't say how it was, so I'm assuming it was neither amazing nor bad. In my opinion, the best part of the meal was the (cardamom?) cake part of the dessert trio.

The food at CRT seemed like standard breakfast fare. Both DH and I had the stuffed french toast, and DD had the kids platter (2 french toast sticks, scrambled eggs, potatoes, and 2 slices of bacon). I'd read they also bring food for kids under age 3, but nothing was even offered for our DS2 (he ate off the pastry plate that was brought to our table). Orange juice was brought out automatically, and DH and I were offered coffee. Neither child was offered any other drink, and I had to flag down our waitress to get something else for myself. None of us finished our meal, and while we're not the biggest breakfast eaters, we didn't find the meal too small like several others have complained about on these boards.

As a side note, DH and I both have touchy stomachs (we're both lactose intolerant and I have fairly bad GERD), but neither of us got even the least bit sick after any meal we ate at WDW (TS or CS).

The character interaction at Akershus and CRT seemed very similar. Akershus featured Ariel, Snow White, Aurora, and Cinderella (with Belle outside the restaurant); CRT had Ariel, Jasmine, Snow White, Aurora, and Cinderella (outside). The princesses at each location stayed long enough for a couple quick pictures, but there wasn't really any conversation at all (they were each at the table maybe one or two minutes). Overall, I'd say the character interactions in the parks are vastly superior to in the restaurants - the park characters have special backgrounds, spend more time interacting, and there are neither food nor strangers in the pics. At both Akershus and CRT I overheard parties at other tables complaining about the order in which characters visited tables (they were upset their tables weren't seen first).

Akershus did have a little parade around the restaurant where the kids were led by the princesses, but parents were told to stay seated so taking pics was all but impossible.

I'd say we had a good time at both restaurants, but they aren't must-dos for us. It was neat to dine in the castle, and I'm sure we'll visit again when our other kids are old enough to appreciate it and have fun.

Thanks everyone for your help, I'm more interested in character interaction so it looks like Akershus is the better place for that, I do love the idea of eating in the castle but perhaps CRT can be done in a later trip!

never donne CRT but dit arkhensus for dinner las trip.. We thought the food was great and the caracter was really nice and took the time to talk with us and take pictue. Snow white was our favortie because she spoke our langage (french) PLus I think you know have to pay for picture souvenir at CRT, I think the picture souvenir with belle is still free at arkhensus

The picture is not included at Akershus or CRT anymore so don't let that be a deciding factor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter