• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CRT a HUGE letdown

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone!! I just wanted to share an experience that I had last week at WDW. First let me say that this trip was BY FAR the most AMAZING and WONDERFUL trip we have ever taken...we are already planning our return!!

I looked for MONTHS for an ADR for CRT lunch. Literally, morning, noon, night 50 times a day. Two weeks before we left I FINALLY scored one!! This was going to be the highlight of our trip!! I was fully aware that we were going for the experience and not gourmet food, but I had no idea it was going to be THIS bad!!

We were seated on the second level at a nice table (Great!). We sat down and admired the atmosphere and were so excited! It was gorgeous and breathtaking. Our "server" came over to our table ( I WISH so bad I remembered his name!) and greeted us with the phrase..."DRINKS." Not a hello, my name is "so and so", not a welcome, nothing. Just a dry, mean, "DRINKS." I looked at Dh confused. We both said lemonade. He wrote it down and said NOTHING!! just walked away!! We laughed to each other thinking what the heck did we do to this guy!! He came back over and I asked if he could bring DD a water (19 months). He rolled his eyes and walked away!! NO JOKE!!

He came back and placed the water in front of her and said...."have you made your decision?" I said the short ribs, and DH said Ill have the same. The server FINALLY made eye contact with us and said "May I suggest the tenderloin"...I said "Wonderful! I didn't even know that was on the menu! I will have that! " and DH said I will have the same. He started to walk away when I said "excuse me, do you need to know how I wanted that cooked?" He rolled his eyes again and said "OK, and how do you want it?" At this point I was so angry. Why was he treating us like this? Why is he so irritated to be here? Was this standard to not ask how we wanted our steak? I felt awful.

As we waited, the gorgeous princesses came to see us and it was lovely. We got wonderful photos and were very happy.

When our lunch came out, I almost fell off of my chair. On my plate, there was corn, a slap of mashed potatoes, and a piece of steak that was the size of a playing card with 1/4 thickness. I have NEVER seen anything like it. The corn and mashed potatoes were slopped on the plate like a school cafeteria. The "steak" was an insult to anyone who payed $62 a person. It was cooked well done by the way. It was a joke. There is no surprise he never came back to ask how we were or if everything was OK. The dishes from the appetizer and lunch were still on the table when another server brought out our dessert that we never even ordered (the clock strikes 12). We left and not one plate was cleared from our table from the beginning until the end. We asked to pay our bill and left.

I think I was most disappointed by the atrocious service. We felt so uncomfortable and this gentleman really ruined the experience. The terrible food was the icing on the cake. We knew not to expect gourmet dining, but this? This just wasn't fair. The castle was gorgeous and the princesses were lovely. The experience was just terrible for us, and we never, EVER complain.

Good thing is that every single second of our trip was HEAVENLY! Fantastic, wonderful, magical. Except for this highly anticipated lunch at CRT. I just wanted to put this out there for anyone looking and searching for this ADR and to share our experience. I loved reading and hearing all of yours before we took our trip!!

That is so sad. I know how highly anticipated this meal is. We have never had a desire to go there. Probably because my 'princess' was always more the 'pirate' type. LOL Glad the rest of your trip was awesome. :)

I would have asked to see a manager and request a different server. They are trained at this restaurant to lay it on pretty thick. In fact our server was every bit part of the show as the princesses themselves (Like you I wish I remembered her name, but for much different reasons, lol). Sorry you had that experience. We had very low expectations how my 3yo son would take to this experience, and it turned out to be the absolute highlight of the trip for us.

As for the food, we found it to be good and by MK standards excellent. Maybe the dinner is higher quality? Oh, well. At least you can enjoy all the wonderful photos :D

I was on cloud 9 entering this restaurant (after the prior 3 PERFECT happy days). When we left, I was still SO confused as to why things went the way they did. I thought to myself, well maybe this is just how it was supposed to be and I should have been focusing on other things but NO! After it all finally sunk in, I was so upset I didn't get his name or talk to a manager. I think I was just caught so off guard at his behavior and the food, followed by 4 beautiful princesses swooning over DD, that complaining was the last thing on my mind at the time. I just wanted to get the heck out of there and back to my happy place! But now that Im home and settled (Boo) I am just thinking about how upset I was by it.

disprincess2213 said:
Hello everyone!! I just wanted to share an experience that I had last week at WDW. First let me say that this trip was BY FAR the most AMAZING and WONDERFUL trip we have ever taken...we are already planning our return!!

I looked for MONTHS for an ADR for CRT lunch. Literally, morning, noon, night 50 times a day. Two weeks before we left I FINALLY scored one!! This was going to be the highlight of our trip!! I was fully aware that we were going for the experience and not gourmet food, but I had no idea it was going to be THIS bad!!

We were seated on the second level at a nice table (Great!). We sat down and admired the atmosphere and were so excited! It was gorgeous and breathtaking. Our "server" came over to our table ( I WISH so bad I remembered his name!) and greeted us with the phrase..."DRINKS." Not a hello, my name is "so and so", not a welcome, nothing. Just a dry, mean, "DRINKS." I looked at Dh confused. We both said lemonade. He wrote it down and said NOTHING!! just walked away!! We laughed to each other thinking what the heck did we do to this guy!! He came back over and I asked if he could bring DD a water (19 months). He rolled his eyes and walked away!! NO JOKE!!

He came back and placed the water in front of her and said...."have you made your decision?" I said the short ribs, and DH said Ill have the same. The server FINALLY made eye contact with us and said "May I suggest the tenderloin"...I said "Wonderful! I didn't even know that was on the menu! I will have that! " and DH said I will have the same. He started to walk away when I said "excuse me, do you need to know how I wanted that cooked?" He rolled his eyes again and said "OK, and how do you want it?" At this point I was so angry. Why was he treating us like this? Why is he so irritated to be here? Was this standard to not ask how we wanted our steak? I felt awful.

As we waited, the gorgeous princesses came to see us and it was lovely. We got wonderful photos and were very happy.

When our lunch came out, I almost fell off of my chair. On my plate, there was corn, a slap of mashed potatoes, and a piece of steak that was the size of a playing card with 1/4 thickness. I have NEVER seen anything like it. The corn and mashed potatoes were slopped on the plate like a school cafeteria. The "steak" was an insult to anyone who payed $62 a person. It was cooked well done by the way. It was a joke. There is no surprise he never came back to ask how we were or if everything was OK. The dishes from the appetizer and lunch were still on the table when another server brought out our dessert that we never even ordered (the clock strikes 12). We left and not one plate was cleared from our table from the beginning until the end. We asked to pay our bill and left.

I think I was most disappointed by the atrocious service. We felt so uncomfortable and this gentleman really ruined the experience. The terrible food was the icing on the cake. We knew not to expect gourmet dining, but this? This just wasn't fair. The castle was gorgeous and the princesses were lovely. The experience was just terrible for us, and we never, EVER complain.

Good thing is that every single second of our trip was HEAVENLY! Fantastic, wonderful, magical. Except for this highly anticipated lunch at CRT. I just wanted to put this out there for anyone looking and searching for this ADR and to share our experience. I loved reading and hearing all of yours before we took our trip!!

I think we've had this guy before! Our first time at CRT he waited until everyone in the section sat down. Got everyone's order, then just stood in the middle of the section and yelled out cheese plate, salad, etc! whoever raised their hand first, got it! Needless to say my DH got his app like 20 minutes after me. The whole meal went that way and the food was horrible, we vowed to never go back (5 yrs ago).....until last week. I got a pre park opening breakfast reservation and it was a completely different situation. The food was fantastic and service was good (my DD5 didn't like what she got so I asked of it was possible to get some plain scrambled eggs. ) No problem or attitude at all! I still prefer akershus but for really special occasions, I would consider CRT breakfast again. I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you but maybe in several years when your DD is older you can try it again.

That's crazy! I'd go ahead and send an email about your experience to WDW. Even if you don't know his name, I'm betting that info is in their computer system connected with your ressie somewhere.

So sorry. We swore off CRT after the princesses all seems to be on fast forward last time. ;)

I'm So sorry :( We have a reservation for CRT for a breakfast, and I worry about service because I keep hearing horrible things. We also have a Reservation for Akershus. This is the one thing my Dh wanted DD to experience.

Sounds like the server we had a few years ago. Not only was he extremely short and rude from the outset but he passed a plate to my DH over my 4-year-old's head and dripped not gravy all over his hair and MNSSHP costume (a costume themed to the rest of the family). He never apologized, just left and immediately sent over the manager, The manager came over and had a terrible attitude also. The only time I have ever stopped at Guest Relations to complain about anything.

We are returning to CRT for the first time since then this trip. If I saw this man, I would request a different server,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I would still complain to guest relations. Apparently, all the negative reviews I've read about CRT have been about a male server who's short with a bad attitude. I'm going this November for my son's first birthday for lunch, I hope I don't get the same guy. Might have to request a female server :/

We also didn't have a good experience here on our first and only time eating there (lunch ON my birthday in 2008).
First of all, the CM downstairs giving out the wands made no effort to give me one and when I went over and asked for one, gave me LOADS of attitude.

Our server was rude and miserable and the food was only so-so. I thought it would be special to eat in the castle on my birthday but we shouldv'e gone to Kona! Would have had a much better meal AND service!

Live and learn I guess....:confused3

I would have asked to see a manager and request a different server. They are trained at this restaurant to lay it on pretty thick. In fact our server was every bit part of the show as the princesses themselves (Like you I wish I remembered her name, but for much different reasons, lol). Sorry you had that experience. We had very low expectations how my 3yo son would take to this experience, and it turned out to be the absolute highlight of the trip for us.

As for the food, we found it to be good and by MK standards excellent. Maybe the dinner is higher quality? Oh, well. At least you can enjoy all the wonderful photos :D

I agree. Every time we've gone the servers were just as fantastic as the princesses were. They were so accommodating and friendly. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope you plan to give it another try in the future!

I am so sorry you had a bad experience. When we ate there it was for a pre opening breakfast, and it was wonderful. Our waiter was fantastic, learned my daughters names right away and who their favorite princesses were and told the princesses before they got to our table. I wish we could afford it every trip.

Ugh. So sorry you had this experience. I would have been livid. :furious:

Like others here, I went recently for a pre-opening breakfast and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't go in with high expectations after reading some bad reviews so maybe that helped. But everything went smoothly with check-in and seating. The food was yummy - maybe nothing was amazing but we were all clean plate clubbers. Our waiter was an older gentleman and he was charming and efficient. He had a few good one-liners that had us laughing ("nothing but the finest moat water, milady" :lmao:). The only thing I didn't like was I could not hear all the pre-recorded announcements over the restaurant chatter. It seemed like no one was paying attention and I think a live announcer would work better.

Wow... I have reservations for 10/4/14 for lunch and that makes me want to record the whole thing...I am not going to pay 250.00 for a meal only to have it ruined by poor service...

OP, your review speaks to me. While our experience was not terrible like yours, I am grateful that my daughter has never asked me to repeat it. Our breakfast felt like we were in a factory on a conveyer belt. Hellos, check. Orders, check. Food, check. Princess interaction, check. And buh bye . . .

When people ask about CRT, my first thought is - how old are the kids? Because if they aren't going to remember being there - in no way, shape or form will I ever recommend it.

These issues are probably a product of its popularity. Being inside the castle isn't cool enough to make up for mediocre food and very rushed service imo (especially give the cost!!!). But ressies are impossible to get so I guess I'm in the minority.

While we didn't have a bad experience there at all, I would urge you to look at your receipts from the trip. His information should be on there somewhere, or at the very least you've got the exact time etc. You need to write in to get this brought to his manager's attention. Especially since it sounds like this is the way he keeps doing things (from the other descriptions given by other posters), they NEED the feedback.

It's too bad you guys didn't "fight" back during the meal, but now is the time.

You must have had the same server as us last month.

I don't feel like going all into details right now but we had a horrible breakfast experience there.

I wrote Disney and they compensated my very well for it.

What a terrible experience for you and your family. I absolutely would have asked to see the manager while I was there. Even at this point I would still e-mail or call Disney to let them know what happened- especially if you're still feeling that terrible about it.

We went for dinner on our last trip, and we definitely had a different experience. Fantastic server, good food, and of course my young niece loved meeting the princesses. For the price you pay to go there you should get nothing less.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Our server treated us like royalty when we were there. Like someone previously said, he was part of the "show". We had dinner (not sure if different menu), but I thought the food was actually really good.

Situations like this, I would have to call out the server while I was there. There's no reason to be treated like that. Great to hear the rest of your trip was fantastic!

I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience. We didn't love the meal itself when we ate at CRT, but the atmosphere and service were awesome. As others have said, our server was part of the show for us. OP, you paid way too much to be treated so abruptly and rudely by your server.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter