Crowds on Jan 2?

DustyShadows

Having fun doing the impossible
I am planning on going down for a day on the 2nd... will the crowds leftover from new years still be huge, or will they already have started to dwindle?

The parks will still be packed on the 2nd. The crowds won't start to dwindle until January 6th.

Ok, You will get 2 different reports on this one so I'll give you the other side.

We are going down Jan 2nd-7th. According to the Dis, EVERYONE and their mother will still be there.

According to all other accounts, sites, knowledge etc. the crowds won't be low but they will definitely be lower than Christmas break. I am trusting this opinion and not the Dis for numerous reasons.

Some Dis'ers schools are closed still that week (2-4th) however, I know many schools in the NY area are OPEN those three days.

It's never quiet at Disney but I'm betting a lot of money it won't be absolutely mobbed. :rotfl2:

(besides, Disney shortened it's hours for that week than their originals so I'm guessing they have an idea as well)

Been the last three years that week - we are out of school and only 8 hours from the Mouse. We are out again this year - but not going. Just too crowded anymore. The plus is the weather and decorations.

Many schools are out especially in the south, UK EURO & SA still on holiday = good for Disney, not good for us.

Many schools are out especially in the south, UK EURO & SA still on holiday = good for Disney, not good for us.

Exactly ... We were there the same week this year and noticed many foreigners, especially from the UK and South America, as they have extended holidays as well. The parks were way too crowded for us!

I would agree with what others have stated. Holiday crowds don't tend to thin out until after the first week of January. It's rather crowded before then.

(besides, Disney shortened it's hours for that week than their originals so I'm guessing they have an idea as well)

On Disney's site today the hours are listed for MK to be open until 11 pm or midnight all week long ! The 2nd it is open 9 am - 12 am.

On Disney's site today the hours are listed for MK to be open until 11 pm or midnight all week long ! The 2nd it is open 9 am - 12 am.

originally open till 1am on the 2nd (So still shortened from original didn't say short!)

I'm an UG fan anyway ;)

So, I'M going to remain OPTIMISTIC! :rotfl:

We'll be at the MK on Jan 3 and expect it to be crowded. It is an EMH day and spectromagic night. We are going anyway as this is our only whole day at MK. We'll just get there at 7:45 and leave at 11:30...we are usually tired by then anyway. In the late afternoon we have BBB reservations and CP reservations for dinner...so the evening is pretty well taken care of...I just hope we can get seats for the parade... I think it will still be fun...we are expecting the worst and I think have planned for it appropriately!!! See you there!!

Our anniversary is January 3 and we often go to WDW to celebrate. This year (our 27th!) we're moving our trip to the 6th because the last few times we've been it's been to crowded for us. I'm crossing my fingers for lighter crowds by the sixth!

Jennifer

Oh I am really scared now. My hubby will go crazy if it is super crowded. We usually go in early Feb. and the parks are not crowded. But my oldest is in college and we have to go on her break. The following weekend is the Marathon and we could not get rooms and a CM told me that Marathon weekend is crazy. The following weekend is MLK holiday and then she has to be back at school.

Are we talking 60-90 minute waits for everything? My family is going to shoot me:eek:

Renee

Actually I don't think marathon weekend will be bad - this year. I believe the reason it has been considered bad is that the last three years (I know DS runs it) it fell a week earlier, and therefore tied into the week after NY. Lots of families like ours go for a week of Disney, followed by marathon and home. Last year the Family Fun Run sold out by summer. This year last time I checked in fall, it still wasn't full. That tells me runners are coming for the long weekend to RUN....leaving many family members home. Biggest impact should be hotels and Fri & Sat dinner. So being that we are back to school the week prior, we will not be attending it this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter