Crowds in early January

webprinter

DIS Veteran
When do the crowds settle down after New Years? DD goes back to school on 1/8 and we were thinking of going down if the crowd levels go down. I do not want to fight crowds. :goodvibes

When do the crowds settle down after New Years? DD goes back to school on 1/8 and we were thinking of going down if the crowd levels go down. I do not want to fight crowds. :goodvibes

We were down there this year from 1/8 to 1/15. The crowds weren't bad at all and they still had some Christmas stuff up for the first few days. The chilly weather was the worst part, it was around 30 degrees one morning. The mornings we got to the park at rope drop we got to ride things over and over again so I thought other than the cold weather that it was a great time to go.

check out www.easywdw.com. the site has a good analysis of the crowd levels the first 10 days of Jan 2012. He will probably do the rest of the month next week. I think it's a good free source.

Just keep in mind marathon weekend is Jan. 5-8.

We went from the 4th to the 13th a few years ago, and crowds definitely dropped as our trip progressed. During marathon weekend, we saw more of a difference at our hotel than in the parks, except when they were actually running and the pathways were blocked off a bit. You could still use them, but only on the sides and you had to wait for CM permission to cross to the other side.

I'm considering planning another trip for 2013 during the same time period. Actually, I'm considering beginning my trip a few days before New Year's off property (or at least SoG), then transferring to onsite once the prices drop, and discounts are more likely to be available.

In January we went Jan1st - Jan12th. It was nice to see all of Christmas decorations but we will never go that time of year again. It was MUCH busier than the last week of Jan (our preferred time). It was chilly but we didn't really mind. But the marathon crowds were the pits. I would avoid at all costs :scared1: Seriously yikes :eek:

I went the first week in January this year and last year. Last year by the 4th (the Monday after New Year's Day), the crowds were light. 0 - 15 minute waits for most rides except the headliner attractions (like Space Mountain) up to 45 minutes. This year, the crowds were there the entire week. They did get lower again on that Monday but the parks were much more crowded. That might have been because of free dining and because many schools go back later now (my school district had classes resume on the 3rd).

I think it really depends on when the holidays fall. We were there this year Jan 2 thru 8. It was packed the whole time. Never been there before with so many people. We may try again but only if New years falls on a Mon thu Wed Then go the next week. This next trip were trying for the week after Thanksgiving. My favorite week would be the last week of OCT:worship:.:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter