Crowd levels off?

Tbiafore

Mouseketeer
I will be attending the week after Thanksgiving and I have noticed all the specials that Disney is running during that time (free dinning, Kids stay free, 30% off specials, etc..) seems like they are stacking and stacking specials one after another during that window of time. Checking the restaurant reservations for that week at Magic Kingdom, every restaurant has no availability from 4pm to 8pm for four people on the three nights we are there (25th, 27th, 29th). Even with the new "Be out Guest" restaurant that should be taking a huge burden off the other restaurants. Nothing...

Taking for instance the 27th date since its a Tuesday and should be dead, all the web sites that show crowd levels as you can see that they are all expecting an empty park for the most part, yet not a single reservation is open at Magic Kingdom... are these crowd level sites ever taking into consideration all the specials and deals disney pushes to fill the park? A little concerned that all of these sites are wrong.

• Touring Plans: 2 out of 10 and MK is the choice park
  • Tour guide Mike: Green Choice!
  • Easy WDW: 3 out of 10 and is the choice park
  • Under cover tourist: 3 out of 10 and the choice park
  • Your first visit: 2 out of 11 and a Lower rating

I could be wrong, but I know sometimes that a heavy presence of conventioneers means relatively empty parks during the day and jam-packed parks and dining after 4 or 5pm each night.

I agree with you! We went in September this year, since it is known as a very slow time of year and we were shocked at how crowded it was, and how many people take their kids out of school so early in the year. Sticking to my normal time next year. The heat was crazy, let alone the crowds and I'd rather be there when its a little cooler and light crowds. Free Dining, and everything else is not helping anything but Disneys pockets thats for sure. It sure is working for them!

I will be attending the week after Thanksgiving and I have noticed all the specials that Disney is running during that time (free dinning, Kids stay free, 30% off specials, etc..) seems like they are stacking and stacking specials one after another during that window of time. Checking the restaurant reservations for that week at Magic Kingdom, every restaurant has no availability from 4pm to 8pm for four people on the three nights we are there (25th, 27th, 29th). Even with the new "Be out Guest" restaurant that should be taking a huge burden off the other restaurants. Nothing...

Taking for instance the 27th date since its a Tuesday and should be dead, all the web sites that show crowd levels as you can see that they are all expecting an empty park for the most part, yet not a single reservation is open at Magic Kingdom... are these crowd level sites ever taking into consideration all the specials and deals disney pushes to fill the park? A little concerned that all of these sites are wrong.

• Touring Plans: 2 out of 10 and MK is the choice park
  • Tour guide Mike: Green Choice!
  • Easy WDW: 3 out of 10 and is the choice park
  • Under cover tourist: 3 out of 10 and the choice park
  • Your first visit: 2 out of 11 and a Lower rating

Free Dining always crowds the restaurants. People who normally would not do alot of table service will take the opportunity. The dates you mentioned are party nights, some table service do not stay open late or party goers take up reservations. Typically days where there is a MVMCP, the park is not crowded during most of the regular day, with party crowds coming in after 4:00.

Pretty sure the 25, 27 and 29 are MVMCP nights, which would explain the reservation situation. People who are coming to the party can enter the MK early and will book up ADRs at the in park restaurants.

Yea they do need to update the crowd calendar. Christmas , the crowd level needs to be doubled. Everyone goes now.

I agree with you! We went in September this year, since it is known as a very slow time of year and we were shocked at how crowded it was, and how many people take their kids out of school so early in the year. Sticking to my normal time next year. The heat was crazy, let alone the crowds and I'd rather be there when its a little cooler and light crowds. Free Dining, and everything else is not helping anything but Disneys pockets thats for sure. It sure is working for them!

We picked Sept to go also. We had never done FD before and wanted to try it and I've seen thread after thread about how slow Sept is. Well, FD was awesome, but the crowds were much bigger than expected. We waited 30 minutes for HM, 40 for Jungle C and 1 hour for Soarin'. Our first Epcot day was a Tuesday and Soarins' FP were gone for the day at 2pm with a 9pm closing night.
Anybody have suggestions for a time that has FD, cool temps, and lower attendance? or is that a myth.

No way to tell what the crowds will be like this year with Fantasyland opening. I scratched my head when I saw they were offering another offer that included dining when ADRs are pretty slim to begin with. My own hunch is that they want the FL expansion to appear insanely popular so will do whatever they can to pack the parks. Whether that works so close to the end of the school year is another matter.

Here now. Easy WDW had 4's and 5's for the week. We've been to the recommended parks each day and they are very crowded. There is no free dining this week and I would put the levels close to Thanksgiving last year. I think a lot of people are following the crowd calendars making the recommended parks not so "recommended" anymore.

We picked Sept to go also. We had never done FD before and wanted to try it and I've seen thread after thread about how slow Sept is. Well, FD was awesome, but the crowds were much bigger than expected. We waited 30 minutes for HM, 40 for Jungle C and 1 hour for Soarin'. Our first Epcot day was a Tuesday and Soarins' FP were gone for the day at 2pm with a 9pm closing night.
Anybody have suggestions for a time that has FD, cool temps, and lower attendance? or is that a myth.

This was our first time going during FD (Sept 21-27) and we were very pleased with the crowd levels. We rarely saw a wait that was more than 20 minutes (except for TSM). We even scored FP for Soarin' on Saturday. We grabbed them before our 4:30 dinner reservations. The timing was perfect and we were able to ride not long after we finished dinner at Coral Reef.

We would absolutely go again in late September.

We always go in September/October and have never seen the crowds as bad as this year. I was amazed at how crowded it was! The rain and heat (not Disney's fault obviously) combined with the crowds made for a less than stellar trip compared to past experiences. Not sure if I will give up on September entirely but I am more willing to try a January/February trip. Got to research that...

Here now. Easy WDW had 4's and 5's for the week. We've been to the recommended parks each day and they are very crowded. There is no free dining this week and I would put the levels close to Thanksgiving last year. I think a lot of people are following the crowd calendars making the recommended parks not so "recommended" anymore.

Yep. Makes you wonder how many millions of people are reading those recommendations. Maybe we should use reverse psychology and go to the park they say to avoid :confused3

I believe the problem lies in that the data that all these sites use to determine these levels are historical data that they have that go years past. However, the last couple years, more and more people hit forums or online help for vacations and such and becoming "aware" of these crowd levels as opposed to a few years back and prior to that.

It seems that the historical data points that are being used should only reflect the last two to three years max to be more accurate.

Yep. Makes you wonder how many millions of people are reading those recommendations. Maybe we should use reverse psychology and go to the park they say to avoid :confused3

I believe the problem lies in that the data that all these sites use to determine these levels are historical data that they have that go years past. However, the last couple years, more and more people hit forums or online help for vacations and such and becoming "aware" of these crowd levels as opposed to a few years back and prior to that.

No, I would guess that the fraction of guests who visit DIS or use online crowd calendars to plan their vacations is tiny, and the crowd calendars are not having any effect on the crowd sizes themselves.

No, I would guess that the fraction of guests who visit DIS or use online crowd calendars to plan their vacations is tiny, and the crowd calendars are not having any effect on the crowd sizes themselves.

I disagree, I know I have not been on these forums a long time, but in the last 3 and a half years I have been coming here, I have seen a big increase in forum activity, just on this site.

Pretty sure the 25, 27 and 29 are MVMCP nights, which would explain the reservation situation. People who are coming to the party can enter the MK early and will book up ADRs at the in park restaurants.

You probably won't be able to get ADRs for MK restaurants on MVMCP nights. Most of the restaurants close by 4pm on party days, and the ones that are open for dinner (usually only 2 or so) get booked way in advance.

You won't be able to get ADRs for MK restaurants on MVMCP nights. Most of the restaurants close by 4pm on party days, and the ones that are open for dinner (usually only 2 or so) get booked way in advance.

You mean by 7pm? They should be open between 4pm and 7pm, since that's when both day people and party people will be in the park.

You mean by 7pm? They should be open between 4pm and 7pm, since that's when both day people and party people will be in the park.

Sorry- definitely no ADRs for after 7- most likely, they wouldn't take any after 6pm or so.

We too are going the week after Thanksgiving, but I have come to learn that crowds really are almost never "low" anymore. You can always get lucky with an unusually uncrowded park on any given off-season day, but I consider this good to be fortune, and not an expectation. That said, maybe with the exception of MK given the new FL opening, you know the parks won't be too jammed that week. And even if the crowds are a little larger than we'd hope, I always believe it is critical to go with the flow and not let the elements that are beyond your control bother you. Use fastpass, wait 20-30 minutes now and then (during which time you should soak in the queue set designs and enjoy your time with your friends / family), relax and enjoy.

OP, we were there last year at the exact same time and the crowds were very managable. We had no need for FP as SB was never more than 15 min. for any attraction.

I will say PP are correct about MVMCP affecting ADRs at MK. Our trip was last minute. I was still able to get any ADR I wanted at any park EXCEPT for MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter