• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Crowd Levels have changed to 8 or 9 when we go end of May early June...FREAKING out..

I dont think they had the 4/3 deal running last year. So I am not sure if you can compare what the crowds were then.

I dont think they had the 4/3 deal running last year. So I am not sure if you can compare what the crowds were then.

True, but the economy wasn't nearly as bad last year either. And Touring Plans itself says that availibility at the Disney resorts really isnt a good indicator of crowds. I've been checking the popular off property hotels and there is still alot availibility at those and they are still offering good deals. Disney crowds aren't just dependant on on-site guests, to really pack 'em in you need full Disney resorts and to be pulling in alot of off property guest as well and I just don't see that happening for the month May and the first half of June.

Although you may be in for a rude awakening if you've never been when crowd levels are 8s or above, yes--touring plans really help. Being there at rope drop and having a plan makes a huge difference. Those are most important, IMHO.

After those 2 factors, look at best/worst park days and try to go by that. But the UG folks always say that having a plan is 5 times more important than what day of the week you pick. So I'd go with

1. Rope drop
2. Have a plan
3. best/worst days recommendations

and you should be fine. :thumbsup2

When are you and your family going again? I have always enjoyed your dining and trip reports. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2Well said. Despite the economy and rooms still being available, people are flocking to WDW because of the deals. They are booking later (closer to their vacation) so for a long time out it looks like there will be lower crowds.

All the people there over the past week or two have been reporting HUGE crowds, much more than normal for this time of year. And the podcast this past week talked about it as well -- that they hadn't ever seen crowds in the Spring like they are this year. A travel agent I know said she has never booked so many trips to WDW as she has in the past month or so (and she was really surpised, too), and we live all the way out across the country!

People are spending less $$$ to go to WDW though, and probably spending less $$$ in the parks, so Disney is still cutting back.

I wouldn't expect low crowds while the 4/3 deal is out, or during the free dining promotion (and that means for most of this year).

:thumbsup2Well said. Despite the economy and rooms still being available, people are flocking to WDW because of the deals. They are booking later (closer to their vacation) so for a long time out it looks like there will be lower crowds.

All the people there over the past week or two have been reporting HUGE crowds, much more than normal for this time of year. And the podcast this past week talked about it as well -- that they hadn't ever seen crowds in the Spring like they are this year. A travel agent I know said she has never booked so many trips to WDW as she has in the past month or so (and she was really surpised, too), and we live all the way out across the country!

People are spending less $$$ to go to WDW though, and probably spending less $$$ in the parks, so Disney is still cutting back.

I wouldn't expect low crowds while the 4/3 deal is out, or during the free dining promotion (and that means for most of this year).

I read on the UG site that the crowd rating is based on wait times at MK and that Disney has been cutting back on staff and park hours which impacts the crowd rating. There may be fewer folks in Orlando and a lower number of total visitors in the parks on a given day, but the crowds can be worse if everyone has to be in the parks at the same time. (e.g. night time start the parks earlier than they normally would, mid-day break folks will cut back on midday breaks, etc.)

I read on the UG site that the crowd rating is based on wait times at MK and that Disney has been cutting back on staff and park hours which impacts the crowd rating. There may be fewer folks in Orlando and a lower number of total visitors in the parks on a given day, but the crowds can be worse if everyone has to be in the parks at the same time. (e.g. night time start the parks earlier than they normally would, mid-day break folks will cut back on midday breaks, etc.)

You are right -- park hours can drastically affect crowd levels. But WDW just increased the park hours for this week & the next -- so now the MK is opening at 7am instead of 9am, AK is opening earlier, too. That's what made me worry -- when they add to the park hours and add in extra shows (which must cost alot of $$$), then I know they are expecting huge crowds.

Get ready for it guys. It's gonna be packed!

Prepare, that's really all you can do. And crowds don't kill your vacation, they just make your strategy more important, and your mood more important. Don't go dreading the crowds, go happy & excited. Don't expect to do everything, pick your priorities. I used to dread the crowds, but my most recent trip that was very crowded was very fun!

Stay focused, stay positive and have some fun!

Besides the 4/3 deal, there is also the 40% room only code that can be used for the week beginning May 31. My vacation was originally scheduled for the third week in June, but when we received the postcard for the discount code, we changed our dates to the same week that you are going. I also know of some other people who did the same thing. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

We were there May 14th-23rd last year, and the crowds weren't bad at all. It looked crowded, but everything except Peter Pan's Flight, Soarin' and Test Track had short wait times. Some line times we dealt with were:

Tower of Terror: 5 minutes before being let in the library
Expedition Everest: 5 minutes after walking through the empty part of the queue
Splash Mountain: 30 minutes
Big Thunder Mountain: 20 minutes
Winnie the Pooh 10 minutes
Kilimanjaro Safari: Walk-on
Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo: Got good (FotLK) and great (FN) seats within 5 minutes of showtime.

Peter Pan was walk-on during evening EMH. Everything else we rode was walk on, or no more than a 5-10 minute wait. I'm hoping it won't be too much different than that this year. Toy Story Mania was in previews at that time, and we only waited 20 minutes. I do realize the lines will be considerably worse for that.

Just wanted to inform all that are going the first week of June. That is Gay Pride Week and I hear it can be quite informative for younger park guests if you get my meaning. Please dont send me hate responses if you are gay. lesbian or bysexual. Just not everyone knows about this week and I thing unsuspecting visitors should be educated to the fact.

We are a military family and I find using the Shades of Green availability chart usually is also a good indicator of crowd sizes. ie: when all rooms are booked in red- usually going to be a high turnout at the parks-and combine that with UG usually is pretty accurate. Right now it seems the end of May and all of June is pretty much red eventhough Disney offered 40% off rooms to military-the Shades of Green is pretty much full during that time-so thinking parks will be full too.
hth

I just happened to check the crowd calendar yesterday and also freaked out! I'm happy to see your thread this morning. I will be sure to keep an eye on it! I am NERVOUS for sure. All our dates in May are 8's and 9's! It's NEVER been like this in May and we go in May all the time. :scared1:

We are going the same week. We were not planning a trip to disney at all - but after some friends got great prices with the 4/3 deal and seeing the low airfares, we decided to go for it. I am sure there are a lot of people like us who decided last minute to take advantage of good prices and therefore will affect crowds.

I have made myself crazy by trying to plan around crowds, extra magic hours, parades, shows, and meal reservations, and finally I had to let it go and realize that we will just have fun no matter what - we are in DISNEY!

So this time we're going as soon as school gets out...May 31-Jun 6....knew it would be busier....crowd levels were 5-8 depending on day....

now Touringplans has changed all days to 8 or 9!!!!

We're going the same time and like you booked when the crowd calendar had the days from 5-8. As soon as I booked, WHAM!...the dates were 8s and 9s!:scared1:

We have a plan (and we're not afraid to use it) and we're sticking to it!

Can't wait to get there!:woohoo:

At this point in my trip preparation, there's nothing I can do about crowds except be ready for them with a rope drop strategy & fast passes. So I am ignoring it and refusing to fret any longer. I've done Cedar Point on a weekend and if I can handle THAT place, I can handle WDW with crowd level 8!

We are going May 16-23 and in the past it was pretty nice. I guess I'm not too worried because we have been there before and aren't as stressed about seeing it ALL. Did get my Fantasmic dinner though and looks like we will still have to be at the seating area an hour before the show-Oh wellpirate:

I was hoping this wasn't true... I was feeling good about our early June dates, but 8's and 9's it is :eek:

My family employs a secret plan stategy which makes crowds no matter what size irrelevant.:cool1: If we stick to our plan we will walk on all the rides with no waits..:rotfl2:

My family employs a secret plan stategy which makes crowds no matter what size irrelevant.:cool1: If we stick to our plan we will walk on all the rides with no waits..:rotfl2:

Would like to know what plan this is...is it not going to the parks at all? :lmao:

Other than that I don't know if even the best strategy could have you walking on everything when crowds are 8's and 9's. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter