Crosssfit info

Silver saucer

DIS Veteran
In honor of starting a new job I decided I really need to try to get back into better shape. I am older and fluffier than many. :rolleyes: I should be able to change one of those two descriptors! ha
Anyone belong to a Crossfit Box? Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly!
I find I do better in a group environment that is supportive. Will I find that in general?
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks! :hippie:

Crossfit is not recommended for people who are just beginning an exercise program. It is extremely intense and can be dangerous if you are not already quite fit. At the very least, have your doctor clear you to participate in crossfit if you decide to go that route.

I would recommend focusing on your diet first and foremost and work on exercise after you have lost at least 10% of your bodyweight. Exercise won't slim you down. Weight loss happens in the kitchen and exercise is helpful to maintain weight loss after you have achieved your goals.

In addition, Crossfit, in particular, is a program that has a high rate of injury. My physical therapist is fond of saying that Crossfit athletes keep her in business.

If you are looking to get more active as you start, just add a 2-3 mile daily walk.

I agree with the poster above. CrossFit is quite intense. There are some beginner CrossFit gyms out there, but in my area most CrossFit gyms are quite intense and competitive. My local YMCA has a ton of group fitness classes for various levels that might be a better fit for someone just starting out.

First of all, get yourself a Fitbit or apple watch, etc., to track your movement.

Secondly, join a gym for some cardio, or get out and walk.

I started doing this in mid-October and I've lost 25 pounds so far.

The Fitbit allows me to log everything I eat so I can watch my calorie intake against my calorie output. It also reminds me to move every hour during the day with a 250 step goal. I get into a zone and forget to get up while I'm working.

I joined Planet Fitness and go there 3x per week and pedal the elliptical for 35 minutes while I read my Kindle. Reading motivates me more than listening to music, especially when the book is interesting.

I've hit a plateau and it's annoying me, but I know that this too shall pass and I'll start dropping weight again soon.

Good luck in your journey. Remember, baby steps take you miles. You don't have to start with anything that is overly intense. That will quickly take away your motivation.

I agree with everyone about starting this journey with Crossfit--unless you are already very fit and athletically conditioned (which can still be the case when you're "fluffy") then it's too much, too soon and, just by itself, will do very little to "defluff" you! I'm older too but I never get too overweight. I did put on some pounds after my surgery last year. What I go back to are caloric control (1500 calories a day for me because it works but if you're larger you'd definitely get more of those) and starting out with beginner's cardio and weight training. I go to our local rec center (gym) about 3 times a week. I started out this way: 20 minutes on the stationary bike to warm up my legs, 10 minutes on the cross trainer/elliptical, and then 2000 meters on the rowing machine. I then used a few weight machines to work my upper body because I'm weak there. I've transitioned to doing 35 minutes on the elliptical/cross trainer because I think I get my best calorie burn with that, some days I'll hop on the rowing machine for 15 minutes, and then I go to the weight machines. Generally I'm at the gym for 1 hour. In between all that, I walk my dogs or a I do a Leslie Sansone 30 minute in home video for something different. The eating is what has really impacted my weight, but what I do in the gym also gives me about 200 extra calories to fiddle around with if I want to eat extra at dinner or something. Oh and it makes me feel so much better physically!

I cringe every time one of my employees say they are going to start Crossfit. I have honestly lost count how many times they get injured or are unable to work due to injury, all but one eventually dropped out. It nearly becomes a "cult" like group I swear, I start seeing the various "protein powders" for meals, of course these are sold by other fellow Crossfit gurus. There are other programs that are better for a person to start off as they begging a true wellness journey. Just my opinion. Do what makes you happy.

I'd go with the above recommendations if you like group classes for exercises. Definitely don't jump into intense, you have to work up to that, but you can get there.

I'm not a fan of being in groups, and personally despise exercise, but while the weather is too miserable for me to be outside, I'm using Supernatural on Oculus Quest, which really has me breaking a sweat. The bonus is every workout brings me to a new part of the world. Once the weather is better, everything will be hiking, walking, bikes, etc.

I'll add another, "My P/T said..." comment to the thread. She cringes when cross fit comes up (she has another patient going through the same P/T that I am that is a big cross fit person)

I agree with the others. Crossfit types, some of them don't seem to be doing it for the sake of physical fitness alone. Addiction is not uncommon in Crossfit, the need for control through pushing their bodies further to feel empowered. There's enough you can do to improve your quality of life without having to go to those extremes.

CrossFit isn't for everyone but there are boxes that have beginner classes that are designed for people that don't exercise at the moment. If someone tries to have you doing Olympic moves your first week you found a bad one.

There is legitimate criticism of the method, and I'm not a fan myself, but I know plenty of people that do strength classes that aren't dangerous.

Look around and talk to members. The community aspect of CrossFit is hard to find in most other gyms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter