Crossroads/House of Blues.....just sad

Carmen NC

Mouseketeer
Our annual family trip has always started with dinner at the House of Blues on our arrival day. They changed it to Crossroads/House of Blues and changed the menu (Aaron Sanchez from the Food Network did most of the redo). Some favorites were kept but most was new. We went there with 6 people - no share-able appetizers for a group (ie dips, fried pickles, nachos, etc) and it was a very limited menu overall - we ordered 2-3 appetizers just to cover the group, the order was put in well before our meal - we never saw our appetizers- the kitchen fixed them but misplaced the ticket so they didn't know where they went. Felt sorry for our waiter since the kitchen messed up.

To say the least the food was OK but nothing we plan on returning to on our next trip. So we will be starting a new tradition for our first dinner now. I wonder what it should be? Have a year to think about it.

I hope our visit was just an off day but it is hard to change the menu issue. Have any others had a similar experience or even a good experience recently?

I've eaten more meals at HOB than I'd ever really want to, simply because it's my favorite concert venue and I love their Pass the Line option. I wasn't a big fan of the food originally, I like it a LITTLE more now under the "Crossroads" menu. But for some reason I feel like everything I get there has an overly greasy taste to it. I absolutely love southwest food and I'm pretty easy to please, so really Crossroads should be right up my alley. It's just never that tasty. Good drinks though.

I agree, we eat here every trip. We were so disappointed our last time in April. DH loved the shrimp po boy, and that is off the menu. So we probably won't be back. The cornbread just wasn't the same either. So sad, it used to be one of our favorite places.

Our Ratings of House of Blues: (rev 7/15/12)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: D
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE1: The new menu is seriously disappointing. All HOB websites
claim new menus by Aaron Sanchez. Not sure if this is bragging or an
apology. It is supposed to be more "Southwestern USA" and items are
said to be bold-sassy-contemporary. They sadly miss. Additionally, HOB
at Disney used to be very reasonable pricing is now overpriced for what
is on the plate. It is still loud inside, as no acoustical aids. For the good,
the Sunday Gospel Lunch is great for both music and food (make ressies!)

NOTE2: I enjoy reviewing and rating eateries. I try to simply give our
opinions and let the reader decide whether to venture forth. In this case,
I would recommend NOT going to the eatery, except for the Gospel Lunch.

Our Ratings of House of Blues: (rev 7/15/12)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: D
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE1: The new menu is seriously disappointing. All HOB websites
claim new menus by Aaron Sanchez. Not sure if this is bragging or an
apology. It is supposed to be more "Southwestern USA" and items are
said to be bold-sassy-contemporary. They sadly miss. Additionally, HOB
at Disney used to be very reasonable pricing is now overpriced for what
is on the plate. It is still loud inside, as no acoustical aids. For the good,
the Sunday Gospel Lunch is great for both music and food (make ressies!)

NOTE2: I enjoy reviewing and rating eateries. I try to simply give our
opinions and let the reader decide whether to venture forth. In this case,
I would recommend NOT going to the eatery, except for the Gospel Lunch.

Well said. We went for an early dinner last month. Some of the best parts of the old menu are gone (catfish bites to name just one), and have been replaced with 'small' tapas like items (meatball sliders and street tacos, at a cajun place, get real). The value we previously went for has exited with the old menu. I'm not sure what is going on now, but these new changes aren't for the better, IMHO.
This used to be a 'must visit' every trip. Now, I can't say that is the case.

I was a bit leary about eating there again after hearing that the menu had changed, but we stopped by one evening in June with no reservation, had a modest wait time and the food was outstanding. We had only eaten there once before the menu change, but I can't say I was disappointed. Our waiter took great care of us.

OP, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, that happens sometimes.

Have you tried Raglan Road, we have eaten there twice and the food is really good and the entertainment is wonderful in the evenings.

Is the Gospel Lunch 1 credit also?

1) I don't think Gospel Lunch is under DDP/DxDP/Premium/Platinum.
2) HOB normal dining is under DxDP/Premium/Platinum, but not DDP.

NOTE: These may have changed, but according to current WDW
listings for dining plans, the above is listed as true.

1) I don't think Gospel Lunch is under DDP/DxDP/Premium/Platinum.
2) HOB normal dining is under DxDP/Premium/Platinum, but not DDP.

NOTE: These may have changed, but according to current WDW
listings for dining plans, the above is listed as true.

According to the 2012 DDP brochure, HOB is 1 table service dining credit for lunch and dinner on the dining plan. No mention of the Gospel Lunch.

I agree, we eat here every trip. We were so disappointed our last time in April. DH loved the shrimp po boy, and that is off the menu. So we probably won't be back. The cornbread just wasn't the same either. So sad, it used to be one of our favorite places.

Oh please, say it's not so... :sad2: I adored that delicious cornbread!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter