Crossing land border with positive test

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s just so frustrating and adds to the uncertainty that it really depends on the luck of which CBSA officer you get on a particular day.

Also, is it explicitly stated on the government website that you can enter with a positive test and won’t be fined (other than one that is ten days old)? Or is this just “common knowledge”?
There’s a US-Can border crossing group I am subscribed to on FB (just search US-Canada border) and I’ve seen several Canadians sharing their experiences- no one gets fined for re-entry with a positive case.

Someone just told me today that their friend drove across with a positive result and was fined $8,500. I’m shocked as it’s the first I’ve heard of it and it’s always been my plan b to drive home while traveling should one of us test positive.
There seems to be some info missing from that story. You don't get fine for testing positive and going home.

It’s just so frustrating and adds to the uncertainty that it really depends on the luck of which CBSA officer you get on a particular day.

Also, is it explicitly stated on the government website that you can enter with a positive test and won’t be fined (other than one that is ten days old)? Or is this just “common knowledge”?

When we came back with a positive test the answer was no. I couldn’t find any explicit statement that we could cross with a positive test. Most information says a negative test is required. In one place I found it just said PCR test without specifying negative but it also didn’t say a positive test is allowed.

The questionnaire says you are allowed to enter but it’s not clear as it doesn’t give detailed information and seems to contradict every other piece of information on the website.

We land crossed with a positive test 1.5 weeks ago

they told us at the border that we should have stayed where we were in the states until we were clear to travel and that you are not supposed to come through with a positive test.

i explained my reasons for travelling right home with my family of 5 and not staying for an undetermined amount of time in a foreign country.

There were no fines, just paperwork and tests to do at home, and about 1.5 hours at border, most of it waiting on the agent & public Heath rep. . There was never a question about our coming through, but it was a little stressful.

We land crossed with a positive test 1.5 weeks ago

they told us at the border that we should have stayed where we were in the states until we were clear to travel and that you are not supposed to come through with a positive test.

i explained my reasons for travelling right home with my family of 5 and not staying for an undetermined amount of time in a foreign country.

There were no fines, just paperwork and tests to do at home, and about 1.5 hours at border, most of it waiting on the agent & public Heath rep. . There was never a question about our coming through, but it was a little stressful.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Hope the person who is positive is feeling better!

When we came back with a positive test the answer was no. I couldn’t find any explicit statement that we could cross with a positive test. Most information says a negative test is required. In one place I found it just said PCR test without specifying negative but it also didn’t say a positive test is allowed.

The questionnaire says you are allowed to enter but it’s not clear as it doesn’t give detailed information and seems to contradict every other piece of information on the website.

Thank you for sharing. What was your experience like at the border?

It turns out our kids were all positive, but we were able to cross back with a bunch of paperwork. The part I hadn’t realized is that although our province only requires 5 days of isolation with a positive test, federal guidelines are applied and those are still 10 days. Further, as close contacts, even though we could prove the kids had an entirely separate space to quarantine we are also required to isolate, but for 14 days. Our entire party is vaccinated and last time we travelled with one kid only partly vaccinated only he had to isolate. Obviously, I’m mostly just grateful that the kids seems perfectly fine and that we could come home but in retrospect I wish I’d realized that we would have to isolate for so long.

I am so grateful to have found this thread!! I hope someone can help me. Some friends are in Florida right now, and they were supposed to fly home tomorrow. However, they have all tested positive! They still really want to come home, so they are willing to drive. However, by the time they get to the border, there is a chance that they may be past the 72hr period from when they took their tests. Is the 72hr rule still important when they are all positive and will have to quarantine at their house anyway? They are sort of panicking at what they should do. I have tried looking on the website, and can't find an information on this specifically.

Yes the test time is still important. If you cross without a test you can be fined. Even with positives (which you can’t even report in the darn app) you still have to show physical copies. The other benefit is that if you can show positives you are only required to quarantine for 10 days from the date of the test. Whereas if you come home sans test then test positive the fourteen day clock starts on the new test date. Good luck to them!!

Thank you for sharing. What was your experience like at the border?

The second post in this thread has the link to my detailed post about it.

The short version is we had no issues. After we told the agent our daughter was positive he didn’t even ask to see our tests. Just had us park and talk to a health official that reviewed our quarantine plan and gave us home test kits and papers on our isolation/quarantine requirements.

A good point is made above that your provincial requirements mean nothing. I argued with many friends and family that were positive we didn’t need to quarantine. But in this situation you are a Canadian returning from international travel so federal rules apply.

Now this I don't understand. I thought I read that once you get covid you'll test positive for quite some time afterwards which is why you are exempt from getting a PCR test when returning to Canada.

Now this I don't understand. I thought I read that once you get covid you'll test positive for quite some time afterwards which is why you are exempt from getting a PCR test when returning to Canada.

it is considered active/positive for the first 14 days.

After 14 days you can travel with your positive test and be exempt.

On the government of Canada travel website there is a whole section on how to get home if you are positive.

I am not sure if that border guard really has a right to tell you how to behave in a foreign country.

On the government of Canada travel website there is a whole section on how to get home if you are positive.

I am not sure if that border guard really has a right to tell you how to behave in a foreign country.
I drove over to buffalo for the day the the cbsa guy was so rude. He asked why we went over and we told him to do some Christmas shopping and have dinner at our favorite restaurant and he said to us so you went over to catch covid. And then proceeded to lecture us and exclaim how he can't believe how people are even allowed to cross.

I drove over to buffalo for the day the the cbsa guy was so rude. He asked why we went over and we told him to do some Christmas shopping and have dinner at our favorite restaurant and he said to us so you went over to catch covid. And then proceeded to lecture us and exclaim how he can't believe how people are even allowed to cross.
I would have said something like "well you still have a job because of people like us who cross over and come home." Wow, what a jerk!!

I would have said something like "well you still have a job because of people like us who cross over and come home." Wow, what a jerk!!
And that's when they would have found a reason to put you in quarantine and go through your luggage!! LOL. Unfortunately some of them are jerks because they know they can get away with it because we grin and bear it because of the power they have to do that crap.

And that's when they would have found a reason to put you in quarantine and go through your luggage!! LOL. Unfortunately some of them are jerks because they know they can get away with it because we grin and bear it because of the power they have to do that crap.
I wasn't going to say anything. Just smile and nod and get out of there before they decided to search our vehicle.
No I completely agree with both of you. I doubt I would have the guts to say it either 😂 Don't need any more reasons for them to stop us. But in all honesty, they need to do their jobs and keep their personal opinions to themselves 🙄

Can someone confirm if you need to test prior to entering US via land border? I just read an article saying no, but it was from October?? I am aware to enter via air you need an antigen test. Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter