cross border shopping

I took my daughter and my mother to Michigan this past Friday. I too agree that the prices on most of the items I purchase are much better over there as well, and the selection is greater.

I had to go as my daughter is very, very, very, picky on jeans. She loved her one pair she was down to which is a size 16 Girls at Wal-Mart. I went to our local Wal-Mart to find out according to the manager that in our area of Ontario and possibly the whole of Ontario that Wal-Mart doesn't carry size 16 Girls only up to a size 14. I was willing to drive to Toronto. We went to Port Huron and found another pair (they were well picked over) for only $6.00!!!

I went grocery shopping on Thursday (locally) so I knew what the prices were and picked up more groceries in Port Huron that were either cheaper or I couldn't find here. For example:

Club Pack size of Brand Name Children's gummy snacks for a much cheaper price that I can find up here and we don't have the club pack size of these around my area

Yoghurts in Key Lime, Boston Cream Pie, Strawberry Shortcake flavors in the club pack size for much cheaper ($4.00) than our groceries stores here that don't carry those flavors.

And for my in-laws who love using the large blocks of Velveeta cheese, I picked up 4 of those. The large size you cannot find up here and pay way too much for the small size we have locally.

What I don't understand is if they obviously make the larger sizes of the gummy snacks or the Velveeta cheese blocks why doesn't our own stores carry them?

It is also equal distance for us to drive to Toronto which is a much larger population and fighting in a lot of traffic compared to driving to Port Huron in Michigan.

I hope that as a country we can find a balance or more and more people might think it is easier to go across the boarder to purchase items. My mother hadn't been over since last year for our girls trip and didn't realize you could make purchases and bring them back the same day. We have always been honest every time we have come back and said the amount and we did purchase clothing or other items. Each time (we usually go monthly) we have been waived through and not had to pay duty.

I would love to buy locally or even drive to some larger cities if it meant they did carry the items for the same price or a bit more, than I could purchase them for in the US.

Until that happens I don't for see us stopping going to the US any time soon.

Remmy:flower3:

Remmy,

I buy almost all my kids clothing in Port Huron. My dd loves Kohl's and we get a lot of her clothes there (and my boys and dh as well). Also, if you keep up on the sales (sign up for internet coupons etc) you can get great deals at Hollister, Aeropostale and American Eagle. I have gotten several pairs of jeans for my son at Aeropostale for 9.99 and tshirts for under 10 bucks. I recently got shirts at Hollister for my son for under 10 (I think one long sleeved shirt was $5).

For those that buy groceries across the border, what do find the best deals on or are the best find not available in Canada?

For those that buy groceries across the border, what do find the best deals on or are the best find not available in Canada?
The items I cannot find here that are must have's in my house are:
Hunts Italian Sausage Pasta Sauce (it makes the best pizza sauce)
S'Mores and Pretzel Goldfish
Chex Mix
Yogurt (the flavours are amazing, personal favorite is the orange cream and key lime)
I also find kids clothing and shoes are so much cheaper.

I always make sure to buy cream cheese(much cheaper), biscuits the kind in tube you bake and packages of peanut butter crackers, butter, eggs, in the baking aisle there is always different stuff then here-squares like Reese peanut butter, different brownie mixes etc.

Make up, shoes and clothing (love Kohls) always a better deal.

Dairy products, different snacks for my kids lunch. I just bought 45 generic 24 hour allegra for 16.99 - I would pay the same for 12 24 hour here.

I alway try to get some Almond Joys and squeeze cheese when I go to the US.

I've gone over for just the day and bought food and just remember you had to keep it under $100. If you stick to just food you rarely have to pay duty but if you buy other items it's hit or miss. I've never had to pay more than $15 in duty so it's still worth it to me.

Remmy,

I buy almost all my kids clothing in Port Huron. My dd loves Kohl's and we get a lot of her clothes there (and my boys and dh as well). Also, if you keep up on the sales (sign up for internet coupons etc) you can get great deals at Hollister, Aeropostale and American Eagle. I have gotten several pairs of jeans for my son at Aeropostale for 9.99 and tshirts for under 10 bucks. I recently got shirts at Hollister for my son for under 10 (I think one long sleeved shirt was $5).

Thank you for the tips. We love Kohl's too. I will sign up for the other stores too, now that I know.

Remmy:flower3:

Do grocery items count in your personal $ execption amount or are they over and above?

There is no duty or HST on any grocery items so you can bring back as much as you want. I go over weekly and do my shopping, usually bringing back between $100-200 and they don't blink an eye. I have Nexus now and the documentation clearly states that there is no duty or HST levied on groceries. They can charge HST on snack items, items that are subject to HST here in Canada, but I've never even been questioned as to whether I have "snack" items and doubt it would be worth their time and effort to go through my grocery receipt and add up the taxable items for the few dollars tax they would get.

Thanks everyone for your responses. We go every couple of months shopping but I have never brought back grocery items. I am going again in June and will probably have a look at some everyday grocery items while I am there.

I live about 15-20 min drive to buffalo ( Not including boarder wait but we have had it really good lately) and I try to go 2 times a month, or when my tank is empty. With 5 kids we usually buy 6 jugs of milk which will barely buy me half in Canada. Cheese is cheap,walmart has mickey shaped real cheese( not the nasty fun cheese!) under $2.We always hit the dollar store as we get some really good deals. IDK even my k cups are cheaper though I kick myself for not picking up more boxes of iced tea when they were under $7 for 24....

There is no duty or HST on any grocery items so you can bring back as much as you want. I go over weekly and do my shopping, usually bringing back between $100-200 and they don't blink an eye. I have Nexus now and the documentation clearly states that there is no duty or HST levied on groceries. They can charge HST on snack items, items that are subject to HST here in Canada, but I've never even been questioned as to whether I have "snack" items and doubt it would be worth their time and effort to go through my grocery receipt and add up the taxable items for the few dollars tax they would get.

Good to know.

Do they ever question whether you have fruits and vegetables? I thought we were not allowed to bring those over the border at all? Or is that just going INTO the US?

Good to know.

Do they ever question whether you have fruits and vegetables? I thought we were not allowed to bring those over the border at all? Or is that just going INTO the US?

We are not allowed to bring back raw potatoes, blueberries or grapes, everything else is okay, but I've never been asked if I have any, just learned it during my Nexus interview. Produce can't be taken into the US unless it is locally grown.

Watch your amount of dairy....can be a problem, although I too, never get asked specifics. I have a friend that did however and had to pay some extra dollars. Produce/vegies from Canada need to have a sticker that says so. Amounts of meat per person can also be a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter