Crockpot and Easy Meals "Index post 372"

When I do a whole chicken in the crockpot, I slice up a large onion into the bottom of the pot and place the onion on top of them. I didn't read through the whole thread, so I am not understanding the purpose of the aluminum foil.

Just finished stuffed peppers from the crock. I do precook the meat(ground turkey) and rice but it's still easier to cook them in the crock then on the stove.

Here is tonight's dinner:

Orange Chicken

1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken, cut in 2-inch chunks
1/2 cup flour
olive oil, for browning the chicken
1 tsp salt
6 ounces (1/2 can) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed (I’d opt for little-to-no pulp. The pulp can taste a bit bitter when cooked)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons ketchup

Use a 4 quart slow cooker for best results. Dredge the chicken pieces with the flour, and shake off the excess. Go ahead and throw away any remaining flour, we won’t need it. Heat olive oil in a large skillet on the stove and brown the chicken on all sides. There is no need to fully cook it, just sear it enough for the flour to stick and get a nice coating.

Plop the chicken pieces into your slow cooker. In a small mixing bowl, combine the orange juice concentrate, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt, and ketchup. Taste. If you’d like the chicken to be a bit sweeter, add a touch more sugar. Pour sauce mixture evenly over the chicken, and toss gingerly to coat.

Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 3 to 4. Serve over white or brown rice.

Tried this tonight and it's great! I used "beefy onion" soup mix and added about 1/2 cup of water. I could see adding some veges. Thanks again!

I was reading back and didn't see any one else comment on this. You were commenting on a roast recipe that included a can of cranberry sauce. From my experience, I WOULD NOT add veggies to the crockpot. I tried it in the past and the veggies (carrots) took on a weird sweetness (and color) from the cranberry sauce. Just thought you might want to know............P

I was reading back and didn't see any one else comment on this. You were commenting on a roast recipe that included a can of cranberry sauce. From my experience, I WOULD NOT add veggies to the crockpot. I tried it in the past and the veggies (carrots) took on a weird sweetness (and color) from the cranberry sauce. Just thought you might want to know............P

Great tip! Thanks!

Originally Posted by ekatiel
I got this one off of recipezaar about a year ago. I make it all the time. It's super easy-- you don't even have to defrost the chicken!!!

Crockpot Chicken with Black Beans and Cream Cheese:

Ingredients
4-5 boneless chicken breasts

1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans

1 (15 ounce) can corn

1 (15 ounce) jar salsa, any kind

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

Directions
1)Take 4-5 frozen, yes, frozen, boneless chicken breasts put into crock pot.
2)Add 1 can of black beans, drained, 1 jar of salsa, 1 can of corn drained.
3)Keep in crock pot on high for about 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked.
4)Add 1 package of cream cheese (just throw it on top!) and let sit for about 1/2 hour.
5)All done and enjoy!

Edited to add: I usually serve it over white rice

Hi - I just wanted to add and say that my family also loved this recipe (although I used mango salsa and low reduced fat cream cheese) over rice. Then yesterday I made stuffed poblano peppers with it and it was even bettter! I took the saved leftovers and shredded the chicken, then I halved the poblano peppers (a mildly hot pepper) length wise and stuffed them with the chicken. I placed them in a baking dish with a thin amount of taco sauce in the bottom and cooked them until the peppers were roasted until soft and the chicken heated thoroughly, (about 1/2 hour or so at 350 - btw, I'm a cook that improvises so the temp/time is approximate!) Then I sprinkled some low fat shredded mexican cheese mixture (e.g. Kraft or any other brand) on top of the peppers and baked for about 5 - 10 minutes until the cheese melted. My family liked this dish even more as we like a little 'heat' and this just hit the spot -btw, on the side I also served some Goya boxed yellow rice mix which was very easy to make too - yummy :yay:!!

Hope someone tries this easy and use of crockpot leftovers without anyone thinking it was made in the crock - btw, I love this thread!

I originally got this one from www.allrecipes.com, but modified it. It is the easiest recipe I've ever made and everyone who tastes it loves it!

Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 bottle buffalo wing or hot sauce ( I use either Red Hot or Steve and Edy's)
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing mix

Place chicken breast in crock pot, sprinkle dressing mix over chicken and pour wing sauce on top.

Cook 6 - 8 hours for frozen chicken breasts or 4-6 hours for fresh chicken breasts.

anyone made this yet. it looks really good!!!

]

I originally got this one from www.allrecipes.com, but modified it. It is the easiest recipe I've ever made and everyone who tastes it loves it!

Place chicken breast in crock pot, sprinkle dressing mix over chicken and pour wing sauce on top.

Cook 6 - 8 hours for frozen chicken breasts or 4-6 hours for fresh chicken breasts.

]

would you shred this for a sandwich?

]

I made this the other day (when I turned the crockpot on but left it unplugged, for those of you who remember my post :sad2:). I did end up trying it at about 9pm that night! It was good shredded on a hamburger bun with ranch dressing. Beware: It was HOT :scared1:! Not sure if it's b/c I live in Texas, and we make wing sauce REALLY hot down here or what, but I carefully took the chicken out of the sauce and THEN shredded it. I would not recommend shredding in the sauce. I would also not recommend opening the crockpot with your face directly over it, unless you really want to clear your sinuses and burn your eyes :eek:!!! Once I removed the chicken breasts from the sauce and shredded them, they had a nice flavor that wasn't over the top :thumbsup2. It did need something to make the chicken less dry, though, so I added ranch dressing on the bun. I will probably make this one again, but I'm trying to figure out how to tone the heat down a bit. Any suggestions?? --Katie

Here's a pork chop recipe I tried tonight. It was really yummy!! The pork chops were SUPER tender and the gravy was mmmmmmmmm! I served it with mashed potatoes and broccoli. Oh, and my cream cheese had lumps in it, so I took out my hand mixer near the end, removed the chops and mixed the sauce on low for about a minute. It worked like a charm!

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs boneless pork loin chops

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 teaspoon minced garlic
salt and pepper

Directions
1. Combine cream of mushroom soup, 1/3 can water, softened cream cheese and garlic in a bowl.
2. Stir out most of the lumps, but the rest will cook out.
3. Pour in bottom of crock pot.
4. Put pork chops on top of mixture.
5. Add liberal amounts of salt and pepper. I'm usually heavy handed!
6. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
7. Serve over slices of warm bread or pasta of your choice.
8. Pork chops will fall apart.So tender you can cut with a spoon!

Originally Posted by ekatiel
I got this one off of recipezaar about a year ago. I make it all the time. It's super easy-- you don't even have to defrost the chicken!!!

Crockpot Chicken with Black Beans and Cream Cheese

Made this for supper tonight -- it got rave reviews! I didn't have black beans so I subbed kidney beans, and I added some taco seasoning as the salsa didn't give it enough heat/flavor for us. And I served it in flour tortillas instead of over rice. The family insists that it be put into the regular rotation now. :thumbsup2 So...thanks!!

I made this the other day (when I turned the crockpot on but left it unplugged, for those of you who remember my post :sad2:). I did end up trying it at about 9pm that night! It was good shredded on a hamburger bun with ranch dressing. Beware: It was HOT :scared1:! Not sure if it's b/c I live in Texas, and we make wing sauce REALLY hot down here or what, but I carefully took the chicken out of the sauce and THEN shredded it. I would not recommend shredding in the sauce. I would also not recommend opening the crockpot with your face directly over it, unless you really want to clear your sinuses and burn your eyes :eek:!!! Once I removed the chicken breasts from the sauce and shredded them, they had a nice flavor that wasn't over the top :thumbsup2. It did need something to make the chicken less dry, though, so I added ranch dressing on the bun. I will probably make this one again, but I'm trying to figure out how to tone the heat down a bit. Any suggestions?? --Katie

hi katie,
thanks for the heads up about the heat. :thumbsup2 the only thing i can think of is next time maybe use less wing sauce. i have half a bottle of anchor bar wing sauce (mild). we dont like hot stuff. i think im going to use that instead of a whole bottle. that will be in the crockpot tomorrow as i have my chicken breasts are thawing now. i'll let you know how it turns out with half.
lisa

It's *snowing* here in North Carolina! I threw a Mexican soup in the crock pot this morning and it smells delicious already. I thought I'd pass along my recipe, even though you could mix this up a hundred ways. You just open cans and dump it all in so it's super easy. You can do it with ground beef or chicken, but we have a vegetarian in the hosue so I did it meatless today.

2 cans Minestrone soup (I like Progresso)
2 cans diced tomatoes (or one if you don't like a lot of tomato)
1 can Rotel (we prefer mild)
1 can Garbonzo beans (or whatever beans your family loves)
1 can Chili beans (totally optional, I had some sitting around)
Whatever leftover or frozen veggies you happen to have laying around. I had corn and green beans.
I also had a bit of Ditalini pasta to use up, so I threw a handful of those in too

I serve this with Tostino's scoops...it's a family favorite!

They beg me to make Buffalo Dip at work, so I did Friday. It is similiar to this so maybe this would tame it down.

1 package cream cheese
1/2 cup wing sauce
1/2 cup ranch or blue cheese dressing (I use light ranch and increase it to taste as needed after it is heated)
8 oz shredded cheese (your choice)
2 cans of cooked chicken (I use leftover rotisserie chicken I chop up)

Total- 5 ingredients; heat in crockpot for about 1 1/2 hours. Can be heated on stove, in oven, in aluminum pan on grill for tailgating, etc. :thumbsup2

the chicken wing dip looks great. we are having a retirement party for my boss at work soon. i will defenetly be making this. its seems easy and sounds delicious. when u use the rotiserie chicken, how many cups do u use?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter