• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Crock pot ideas

MacFam4

Mouseketeer
The thread "eat at home" inspired me:) We eat at home quite a bit and have pretty much cut out fast food completely. My issue is that we get in a terrible rut with our meals. As long as I'm cooking, we do pretty well. My now my shift at work has changed and DH has to do most of the cooking. Which is fine, he's a great cook. But he has to know exactly what we're having, with a recipe, and has lots of trouble improvising.

I want to start using my crock pot more, but I have a terrible fear of using it while we're not home. We're away from home for atleast 10 hours a day. I'm afraid that it will either catch on fire, or that the food will become dry and scorch.

Have you ever had any trouble? Tips and ideas are appreciated! Send me some of your favorite crock pot recipes!!

Mexican Chicken

1.5 - 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken
1 can (14 oz) black beans
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes with mild green chilis
1 jar salsa con queso

Put chicken in crock pot and add beans and tomatoes (undrained). Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 8. Remove chicken and drain off excess liquid (I save it and use it as a base for soup). Shred chicken and return it to the crock pot and add the jar of salsa con queso.

I serve it with warm tortillas, shredded lettuce, sour cream and salsa and a side salad. DD likes to eat hers with nacho chips - like a dip.

Mexican Chicken

1 jar salsa con queso

Put chicken in crock pot and add beans and tomatoes (undrained). Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 8. Remove chicken and drain off excess liquid (I save it and use it as a base for soup). Shred chicken and return it to the crock pot and add the jar of salsa con queso.

I serve it with warm tortillas, shredded lettuce, sour cream and salsa and a side salad. DD likes to eat hers with nacho chips - like a dip.

Sounds yummy. Definitely going to try this one.

But I think you meant low for 8 hours or high for 4, correct?

The thread "eat at home" inspired me:) We eat at home quite a bit and have pretty much cut out fast food completely. My issue is that we get in a terrible rut with our meals. As long as I'm cooking, we do pretty well. My now my shift at work has changed and DH has to do most of the cooking. Which is fine, he's a great cook. But he has to know exactly what we're having, with a recipe, and has lots of trouble improvising.

I want to start using my crock pot more, but I have a terrible fear of using it while we're not home. We're away from home for atleast 10 hours a day. I'm afraid that it will either catch on fire, or that the food will become dry and scorch.

Have you ever had any trouble? Tips and ideas are appreciated! Send me some of your favorite crock pot recipes!!

We have the same problem. I've started experimenting with using the meat frozen -- seems to work all right; beef works well. My crockpot is an old-fashioned dial one -- In the past I've used a timer (like the ones you use on your lights when you go on vacation) to turn the crockpot on at 10 a.m. Works okay, but I'm sure there are bacteria considerations...:sick:

A lot fo newer crockpots can be programed to only cook for a certain amount of hours and then just keep the food warm. As long as you put a little water in the bottom, you shouldn't have food scourching either.

I do roasted chicken all the time...i put a little butter under the skin, scouple tablespoons of minced garlic on the top, throw in your favorite veggies and you are done.

I also love Corned Beef and cabbage. I just put the corned beef in straight from the package at the store. It has plenty of seasoning. If you don't like cabbage, use potatoes and onions.

In the winter I make soups and stews in the crockpot too.

Mexican Chicken

1 jar salsa con queso

I need to try this. :upsidedow I have made some similar to this that I found here on the boards.

Boneless chicken
can of corn
can of black beans
jar of salsa

cook until chicken is shredded then put in a block of cream cheese. We eat it in a tortilla or chips.

this is my favorite! i got it from allrecipes.com
its called slow cooker chicken cordon bleu

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
4 ounces sliced ham
4 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
1 (8 ounce) package herbed dry bread stuffing mix
1/4 cup butter, melted

Mix together the cream of chicken soup and milk in a small bowl. Pour enough of the soup into a slow cooker to cover the bottom. Layer chicken breasts over the sauce. Cover with slices of ham and then Swiss cheese. Pour the remaining soup over the layers, stirring a little to distribute between layers. Sprinkle the stuffing on top, and drizzle butter over stuffing. Cover, and cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours, or 2 to 3 hours on High.

i do follow some of the tips in the reviews

I like getting recipes from the Crockpot Lady.

She reviews her own recipes and you can read the comments of other people reviewing them too. There are hundreds of crockpot recipes. Just scroll down and look to the left and choose a category.

I like this spinach pasta recipe for the crockpot of hers. I cook it on low though instead of on high.

Easiest one for me is BBQ Ribs/porkchops. Fill Crockpot 1/2 full with BBQ sauce. Add boneless ribs or porkchops and submerge in sauce. Cook on low for 8-9 hours. The meat just melts apart in your mouth. My kids love them!

I posted this to the Chicken Thread earlier.

Crock Pot Salsa Chicken

Salsa
1-2 pounds of chicken
Rice
salt, pepper, seasoning salt, etc

Take a large jar of your favorite salsa. (I put mine in the food processer because 1. I have a texture thing about onions and peppers and I barely tolerate salsa this way much less in chunky form. 2. It makes for a juicier sauce while cooking. 3. I don't like onions and peppers taste wise either and all whirled up it has a more tomato-y taste which I can tolerate)

Brown up your chicken (I use boneless skinless breasts about 3 to 4 for 1 dinner with some leftover) with whatever seasonings you prefer, I use salt and pepper or a little seasoning salt. I have done this without browning but I just prefer the taste of the chicken when it has been browned off and it doesn't fall apart as easily. If I know I'm going to be shredding it for sandwiches then I don't brown it.

Put half of your salsa in your crockpot, add the chicken, then cover with the rest of your salsa.

Cook on low for about 4 hours, if only doing a regular amount. Time will vary by crockpot and I almost always do a double or triple batch as it freezes well. So I tend to have to go for 4-6 hours on high.

Prepare your rice of choice.

Serve the chicken by or on your rice and spoon the sauce over them. I add a green veggie or beans to this meal, I like tortillas or chips with it, but my family likes bread or rolls. I have also shredded the chicken and mixed with sauce for a mexican style sandwich on a bun or in a tortilla as a taco.

I freeze a dinner's worth of chicken with sauce when I make extra and have kept it in the freezer for up to 3 months with no change in taste.

I also do Crockpot Roast.

Roast (beef or pork)

one envelope Ranch style mix
one envelope brown gravy mix
one envelope italian dressing mix
broth

Get your preferred Roast and Season and brown it.

Mix the three envelopes of dried ingredients.

Rub the dry mix on the roast then hold any left over.

Place the Roast in the crockpot and use the broth to fill up the crockpot until you're within an inch of the top of the roast or at least halfway up. Spinkle any remaining dry mix into the broth and stir it in gently.

Cook on low or high for your crockpots requirements. I do a 3-5 pound roast and I cook it on high for 4-5 hours then turn to low till it's done. I have had some cook quicker but I usually don't do a lot of low cooking unless I'm really going to be gone a long time. (my low is pretty darn hot in my crockpot). I have been known to turn the roast halfway through.

Serve with whatever potatoes and veggies you like. I have been known to do potatoes and carrots in the crock but with this seasonings I don't like the veggies in the crockpot.

The sauce will be thick but not gravy thick, so I will usually thicken it afterwards with flour or cornstarch.

I will also do whole chickens.

I just throw on some poultry seasonings a little water and lemon juice then cook till falling off the bone....no recipie per say

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter