• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Critique my plans?

melidy

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

We are heading back to Walt Disney World in October/November, this time with our close families! With our ADR slot opening this month I've been trying to put the finishing touches to our plans. We'll be there for 14 nights, 6 adults (aged from 23 to around 53). My partners mother is a little bit of a fussy eater but I think I can find something she'll eat on most menus. For example. she doesn't like seafood but even at Coral Reef there is Steak, Chicken, Pork...

Anyway here are the reservations I'm hoping to snag:

Purple = TS restaurants me and my partner have been to before and know our families would want to experience
Navy = TS restaurants we've done before and would consider swapping for something else as per your suggestions
Teal/Green = New to all of us

Day 1 - Travel - No ADR in case of flight delays etc, likely just grab QS after checking in.
Day 2 - Magic Kingdom - Breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table, Dinner at BOG >> 3 credits
Day 3 - Universal Studios & Halloween Horror Night
Day 4 -
Hollywood Studios - Dinner at Sci-Fi Dine in Movie Theatre >> 1 credit
Day 5 - MNSSHP - probably just 2 quick service unless there are any better suggestions
Day 6 - Blizzard Beach / DTD - Dinner at
'Ohana (and hopefully drinks at Trader Sams) >> 1 credit
Day 7 - Epcot - Dinner at
Teppan Edo >> 1 credit
Day 8 - Animal Kingdom - Dinner at Saana >> 1 credit
Day 9 - Islands of Adventure
Day 10 - Epcot - Dinner at
Spice Road Table >> 1 credit
Day 11 -
Hollywood Studios - Lunch at Brown Derby - Dine With an Imagineer (if I fail to get this booked any recommendations in the HS/E area? I was thinking maybe Via Napoli as one of the HUUGE pizza's wouldn't cost us a lot per person OOP) >> OOP
Day 12 -
Animal Kingdom - Breakfast at Tusker House , and Coral Reef for dinner >> 2 credits
Day 13 -
MVMCP - Since I'd want us to be close to MK I was thinking an early dinner at 1900 Park Fare? >> 1 credit
Day 14 - Magic Kingdom - This will be our last full day so I was thinking California Grill and then watch Wishes from the Contemporary >> 2 creditS
Day 15 - Travel - Our flight doesn't leave 'till after 6 so I was hoping to grab a good filling lunch since we will have a 9 hour flight ahead of us (and airplane food is typically not great) any recommendations for somewhere magical to end our trip? :)

We didn't try to add many signatures since it's not really my MIL's thing and I don't want her to feel uncomfortable... It's one of those things that I know she'd enjoy as a one off - hence why I added California Grill as a last night celebration - but I know she'd be more comfortable at a regular table service generally..

With that in mind. What do you think? Anything you'd swap out? What do you typically do on your last day?

I'm not sure what type of dining plan you are getting, which are Basic, Delux and Quick Service.

My mom and I have been going to Disney yearly since 2005 always on dining plan (Basic) What we do since its only 2 people is that we split one quick service for breakfast and split the other quick service for lunch. That way we don't gain too much lbs since we are sharing for breakfast and lunch and then have our own table service. Perhaps you can partner up w/ someone in the group to share quick services with if you are on basic if you are watching your food intake... Also sharing both allows both people to have breakfast and lunch since the Basic only comes with 1 QS 1 TABLe and 1 Snack Per person per day.

We had bad experience with restaurant(s) that require 2 Table Service per person. (The Brown Derby). We realized that we could have found the same (or similar) food that the 2 TS restaurant serves at another restaurant that requires only 1 TS.

We also try to save 1 QS per person for the last day so that we can both have our own trays. That way we are basically full and don't have to get something at the airport. Also if possible, you can save snack credits for food on the plane. You can get bags of popcorn at the hotel you are staying at to save for the flight home. That's what we do as well if we do have snacks left over. Like the day you arrive. perhaps make something at home to eat at the park/hotel. That way the QS you get for the first day you can save for the last day. My dad made us sandwiches to eat on the plane except we saved them for when we were at the parks.

Also you will get 1 FREE Refill Mug Per Person. For the morning since the quick service comes with a cup or bottle of liquid. Perhaps get the bottle of liquid that way you can take it to the parks with you, in case someone gets thirsty before lunch or dinner. You can always ask for a cup of ice if the place does not have soda you can fill on your own.

Also if staying on property at disney, all rooms come with a mini fridge so if you are planning to get a bottle of liquid at the hotel for your breakfast, you can always save the bottles to fill with water and save them in the fridge in your room in case you get thirsty in the hotel at night. or if you plan to get a rental car you can get soda/liquid from grocery store etc.

Along with that, we ate the Tusker House once... we had an okay experience there, but if you are someone that has a picky appetite than perhaps switching to something else, but I would keep Coral Reef. I always find something great on the menu and the fish tank is awesome. One restaurant I might recommend in place of either Sci Fi or Tusker House (if you have park hopper) is La Hacienda in Mexico Pavillian. :) But don't go right at opening time (4pm).

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply! Yes we are on the standard Disney Dining plan, so we have 14x TS credits per person. Me, my partner and my mom have had the DDP before but it will a first for the other 3 members of our party.

We had bad experience with restaurant(s) that require 2 Table Service per person. (The Brown Derby). We realized that we could have found the same (or similar) food that the 2 TS restaurant serves at another restaurant that requires only 1 TS.

Well we are going to the Brown Derby for Dine with an Imagineer so we won't be using credits. To be honest since it's a set price for the meal and for the experience I honestly wouldn't be bothered if the food wasn't that great, as the food isn't really why we are going ;)

We also try to save 1 QS per person for the last day so that we can both have our own trays. That way we are basically full and don't have to get something at the airport. Also if possible, you can save snack credits for food on the plane.

I was hoping to go to a table service the day of our departure for dinner. Since we don't leave 'till evening I was thinking a TS lunch would be a good way to fuel up and relax on our last day... I just can't figure out where would be a good option. Our UK tickets would still be in date so I'm toying between park or restaurant.

Also if staying on property at disney, all rooms come with a mini fridge so if you are planning to get a bottle of liquid at the hotel for your breakfast, you can always save the bottles to fill with water and save them in the fridge in your room in case you get thirsty in the hotel at night. or if you plan to get a rental car you can get soda/liquid from grocery store etc.

We are actually staying at Old Key West for the first time... since we were going with extended family I figured the extra space would come in handy :) So we will have a little kitchen space to store drinks, left over desserts etc.

Along with that, we ate the Tusker House once... we had an okay experience there, but if you are someone that has a picky appetite than perhaps switching to something else, but I would keep Coral Reef. I always find something great on the menu and the fish tank is awesome. One restaurant I might recommend in place of either Sci Fi or Tusker House (if you have park hopper) is La Hacienda in Mexico Pavillian. :) But don't go right at opening time (4pm).

We've been to Tusker House before and although we are going with a picky eater I think the breakfast there is pretty standard for the large part, so I can't see her having any trouble there. I will check out La Hacienda, I have heard good things about it but not sure how MIL (picky eater) would feel about Mexican Food, I thought Spice Road might be a 'safer' choice?

On your MNSSHP you mentioned just getting two counter service meals. Since so many of the eating areas are closed during the party we have found getting counter service can be very crowded, much more so than during "regular" times.

I think you should mirror the plan for the MVMCP and plan for a sit down meal before you head to the party. Might I suggest a late lunch/early dinner at the Wave. When you are in the park then you might need a snack or a drink, but will not need to do a full meal.

On your MNSSHP you mentioned just getting two counter service meals. Since so many of the eating areas are closed during the party we have found getting counter service can be very crowded, much more so than during "regular" times.

I think you should mirror the plan for the MVMCP and plan for a sit down meal before you head to the party. Might I suggest a late lunch/early dinner at the Wave. When you are in the park then you might need a snack or a drink, but will not need to do a full meal.

Oh we would likely get one as an early lunch, somewhere like BOG and the second as an early dinner... between 4-5. So we wouldn't be trying to get a meal during party time, plus that would give us plenty of time to get in our first queue before the party starts. Last time we did the party we only had 1 qs all day and a couple of snacks and we regretted not getting something more substantial so I was thinking 2 qs might do us.

I was considering a table service because I would actually prefer that. Actually The Wave was where I was originally thinking but the Dinner service could have us in the Magic Kingdom later than I'd like, and the Lunch menu doesn't really seem 'worth' a TS credit. So I was trying to look at other MK area resorts, so far the only one that is standing out is Whispering Canyon Cafe for lunch. I think my partner would enjoy the all you can eat skillet and it seems slightly better 'value' for lunch compared to many other MK area resorts... Or maybe I could try to get into the first seating of BOG as close to 4 as possible and go elsewhere on our first night... Decisions, decisions :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter