Critique my AK touring plan, please :)

Ari37

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! My mom and I are leaving for a 10 day Disney World trip on May 10th, and are planning to go to Animal Kingdom on our first full day there (Monday May 11th). This is the only park that we are just spending one day at, and so I have been tweaking this touring plan over and over again! I have seen mixed reports about whether it makes a difference to see the safari in the morning, how early to arrive for shows, etc., and am hoping to get some extra feedback on our current plans. The resort crowd level is a 4 for the day, the park crowd level is a 5, and the park hours are 9-6. I used Touring Plans to make this itinerary, but am wondering if it is a bit too optimistic at times? I am also willing to move around our fp+ times if necessary! Thanks in advance!

9:00- 9:15 : Ride Expedition Everest
9:20- 9:30- Ride Primeval Whirl
9:35- 9:50- Ride Dinosaur
10:00- 10:15- Ride Kali River Rapids
If time, walk the Maharajah Jungle Trek
10:45- 11:15- See Flights of Wonder
12:00- 12:30- See the Festival of the Lion King (12:00 PM showing)
12:45- Lunch at Tusker House
2:00- 2:20- Kilimanjaro Safaris (fp+ 1:55- 2:55)
2:25- walk the Pangani Forest Trail
3:00- 3:15- Kali River Rapids (fp+ 2:55-3:55)
4:00- 4:35- Finding Nemo the Musical (4:00 PM showing)
4:40- 4:50- Expedition Everest (fp+ 4:35- 5:35)
4:55- 5:15- See It's Tough to Be a Bug!
5:25- close- re-ride Dinosaur or walk the Maharajah Jungle Trek if skipped earlier
6:00- see the Oasis exhibits on the way out if still open after park close?

This the most thought out plan I've seen. Fate only favors little children and ships called Enterprise so plan for Murphys law to intervene. If something breaks or goes long you may have to rethink. If it rains too.

I use Touring Plans for every trip and have had excellent luck. Sometimes they don't suggest enough time to arrive before shows, ie 5 min, but your times for FOTLK and Nemo look like plenty. I find TP to actually be pessimistic a bit about wait times. We usually finish ahead of schedule. Also, I don't trust trying to use my FP+ 15 min after the 1 hour window. Sometimes TP will do it. I just skip to the FP+ and come back and do the skipped ride later. I think this looks like a great plan, with plenty of time for shows and the FP+. Have a good trip. Tusker House is really good, by the way.

EDIT: As far as when to do Safari, I have found that it doesn't matter. I have done it first thing, middle of the day, and last thing. None stood out as having significantly more animals than the other times.

That early in May I would plan immediate re-rides on Expedition, Dinosaur, Kali and Primeval Whirl without using up too much time. Easywdw has a recent article on the rides/times etc that talk about a couple of those you have listed as being under utilized until later in the day.

It's a good plan. Animal Kingdom is my favorite park so we spend at least 2 days there. I think you will have a great day with your current plan, but here are my suggestions since you are asking! First, I noticed you missed the Bug ride int the Tree of Life. Not amazing, but fun. Second, I recommend 2 rides on the safari. Each ride is unique. I'd even go so far as to say skip Nemo for safari. Third, I would suggest more time for the trails. The real charm of Animal Kingdom is the details and the animals. We can spend over an hour watching the gorillas and the baby on the pangini trail or breeze through in less the 10 minutes if it's too hot or rainy. Lastly, you are riding the Rapids twice. You will get drenched! At least one time. Wear sandals and be prepared to be wet all day. I usually schedule it last. But I hate being wet unless it's really hot.

It's a good plan. Animal Kingdom is my favorite park so we spend at least 2 days there. I think you will have a great day with your current plan, but here are my suggestions since you are asking! First, I noticed you missed the Bug ride int the Tree of Life. Not amazing, but fun. Second, I recommend 2 rides on the safari. Each ride is unique. I'd even go so far as to say skip Nemo for safari. Third, I would suggest more time for the trails. The real charm of Animal Kingdom is the details and the animals. We can spend over an hour watching the gorillas and the baby on the pangini trail or breeze through in less the 10 minutes if it's too hot or rainy. Lastly, you are riding the Rapids twice. You will get drenched! At least one time. Wear sandals and be prepared to be wet all day. I usually schedule it last. But I hate being wet unless it's really hot.

It's Tough to Be a Bug was listed at the end, if that's what you are talking about in the Tree of Life. It's in the 4:55-5:15pm slot.

Thank you all so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it.
Jadyreen- Thanks for your feedback on the plan! I'm glad to hear that it sounds thought out, and hopefully we don't have too many major surprises!
Soniam- That is very helpful to hear about your past experiences with Touring Plans and with the Safari- I hope that our experiences are equally positive!
Ammag- That is an excellent point! I made a few small changes to the itinerary based on this suggestion.
Mortimor- Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the article! That is something that we will definitely keep in mind.
Mgentry- Thanks for the tips! I have heard about how cool all of the animal trails are, and wish that the park was open later so that we could devote more time to each of them! Your points about the Kali River Rapids ride are well taken, and I have made a couple changes below.

Based on your comments, I have switched a few things in the afternoon (namely, Dinosaur and Kali River Rapids) so that we are riding Kali at the end of the day (if we even decide to ride again) and are not going into a cold theater afterwards! Feel free to leave any thoughts you might have on the new (and hopefully final) plan! Also, does anyone know how early we should arrive for Flights of Wonder, so we don't cut things too close on the Maharajah Jungle Trek? Thanks again!!

9:00- 9:15 : Ride Expedition Everest
9:20- 9:30- Ride Primeval Whirl
9:35- 9:50- Ride Dinosaur
10:00- 10:15- Ride Kali River Rapids
If time, walk the Maharajah Jungle Trek
10:45- 11:15- See Flights of Wonder
12:00- 12:30- See the Festival of the Lion King (12:00 PM showing)
12:45- Lunch at Tusker House
2:00- 2:20- Kilimanjaro Safaris (fp+ 1:55- 2:55)
2:25- walk the Pangani Forest Trail
3:00- 3:15- Expedition Everest (fp+ 2:55-3:55); if time after, re-ride using the Single Rider line!
4:00- 4:35- Finding Nemo the Musical (4:00 PM showing)
4:40- 4:55- Dinosaur (fp+ 4:35- 5:35)
5:00- 5:15- See It's Tough to Be a Bug!
5:20- 5:40- Walk the Maharajah Jungle Trek (if skipped earlier or we want to look at the animals again!)
5:45- close- If desired, re-ride Kali River Rapids standby
6:00- see the Oasis exhibits on the way out if still open after park close?

wow, our ak fp+ choices are spread out from 1:30 to 6:00 and we have a 7:20pm jiko reservation. that's as far as i planned.

now you're making me wonder if my approach to the day is just too lackadasical!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter