• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Critique my ADRs

musicmantrs

Mouseketeer
This is my first solo trip with just me and the girlfried. We've been to Disney many times and have eaten a lot of places but with the number of restaurants on property we decided to go with all new restaurants. Outside my comfort zone because I don't like change. We've eaten at:
California Grill
Chef Mickey's - did not like
Ohana and Kona at Poly - loved loved loved both but would break the rules
50's PT in DHS (one of my favorites)
Coral Reef (I was 7 so I almost don't count it)
Mexico Pavilion
Hollywood and Vine (actually blocked this out until I was telling my dad my our ADRs and he brought it up) - seems too much like a cafeteria to me and wasn't well themed

My ADRs, I'm trying to stay on single TS credits:
Biergarten (dinner) - Scares me the most, communal tables and a buffet of food I've never had
CP (lunch) - this is the only meal with my sister and her fiance
Tusker House (lunch) - Looks delicious
Sci-Fi (dinner) - I've always wanted to try it but never wanted to betray 50s PT
1900 PF (dinner) - Afraid it will be identical to CP

CP is lunch and 1900 PF is dinner, don't know if that changes the menu a lot.

Also would like to figure out one I could propose at.

Thanks!

Biergarten (dinner) - Scares me the most, communal tables and a buffet of food I've never had - We went and loved it but not for food, the atmosphere is great and fun.

CP (lunch) - this is the only meal with my sister and her fiance - this is a must do for us

Tusker House (lunch) - Looks delicious - never had lunch here

Sci-Fi (dinner) - I've always wanted to try it but never wanted to betray 50s PT - again food is just average like an applebees but the atmosphere is great

1900 PF (dinner) - Afraid it will be identical to CP - menu is different and the characters are different

Does she have a favorite character?? The 1900 Park Fare might fit well because it has cinderella and the prince. The restaurants do help with proposals if you arrange ahead.

We've been to all of your selections, except for Sci-Fi. I have a hard time booking that one because it seems to get bad reviews.

Biergarten--This was a pleasant surprise. At first it was really uncomfortable, since we didn't know 6 of the people sitting at the table with us. Fortunately, everyone ordered drinks, conversation opened up, and we really had a great time getting to know the other diners. From what I remember, the food was unique and pretty good. We were fortunate to sit with a fun group, but I'm sure it's possible to end up with a very annoying group.

CP--It's okay. Good, well-organized character interaction. The buffet has a good variety and is very fresh.

Tusker House--One of my favorites!!! We went for breakfast and it was great!

1900 Park Fare--The food here is not as good as CP. The characters are great though! Very entertaining!

they have a dance with cinderella and the prince at 1900 park fare you might want to see if you can have the floor for a dance and propose or something to that affect

they have a dance with cinderella and the prince at 1900 park fare you might want to see if you can have the floor for a dance and propose or something to that affect

That sounds like a great idea. Do they have any of the other princesses? Her favorite is Belle but I'm afraid of Akershus' food and I wouldn't want to do it and say "It was great for the proposal but we would never eat there if it wasn't for that." Going forward I see many many more Disney trips and I think wherever we get engaged we'll probably eat at a lot so I want it to be quality. If BOG was going to be open in early November it'd be a no brainer to me.

That sounds like a great idea. Do they have any of the other princesses? Her favorite is Belle but I'm afraid of Akershus' food and I wouldn't want to do it and say "It was great for the proposal but we would never eat there if it wasn't for that." Going forward I see many many more Disney trips and I think wherever we get engaged we'll probably eat at a lot so I want it to be quality. If BOG was going to be open in early November it'd be a no brainer to me.

The characters at 1900 Park Fare are Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Anastasia and Drizella. There are more princesses at Akershus (including Belle), but it's a very crowded and noisy place...not great for a proposal in my opinion. Have you thought about dinner at Les Chefs? No characters, but definitely a more romantic atmosphere. The food is great!

Biergarten (dinner) - Scares me the most, communal tables and a buffet of food I've never had The food is better than a lot of Disney buffets. Communal tables are no biggie. If you don't wish to interact with anyone else at your table, then a simple hello when you sit down is all that is necessary.
CP (lunch) - this is the only meal with my sister and her fianceWe've always enjoyed our meals here
Tusker House (lunch) - Looks delicious It IS!
Sci-Fi (dinner) - I've always wanted to try it but never wanted to betray 50s PT Say what???? The ambiance is the key draw here. The food is OK
1900 PF (dinner) - Afraid it will be identical to CPIt is similar but not identical. And of course the characters are all different.

Thanks!

I can't help but notice that all but 1 of your ADRs are buffets, and 3 of those are character meals. Was this on purpose? Just a little surprised that you haven't opted for more a la carte TS meals, given that you are 2 adults. This isn't a criticism, just wondering.

It's hard to recommend a single TS restaurant that would be romantic enough to propose at, since all of your choices will be full of families with young children and will be rather um, lively. The suggestion about 1900 Park Fare could work, if your GF would respond well to such a public proposal. I would recommend that you do this outside the restaurants. Find a nice romantic spot after dinner and pop the question there. Maybe one of the outdoor verandahs at GF (near Mizner's on the mezzanine level), or in the rose garden at MK, or in a secluded spot in WS at Epcot?

I can't help but notice that all but 1 of your ADRs are buffets, and 3 of those are character meals. Was this on purpose? Just a little surprised that you haven't opted for more a la carte TS meals, given that you are 2 adults. This isn't a criticism, just wondering.

My fear as well, I've never been into characters (missed them on my first trip because I was sick for the character breakfast) and I don't think I've had a single meal with characters at Disney. It wasn't really intentional to have so many it just sort of happened. I want to eat at GF because it's the only monorail resort I've never even been to. I already made one change and that was Via Napoli instead of Biergarten for Saturday. Too big of a chicken for that one. Now I'm thinking about going OOP for Via Napoli (looking at pizza prices compared to value on DDP) so I could bump GF up to a signature with the extra meal.

For the proposal, I've gone back and forth. The night we do the GF is a night where the parks close "early" and I had thought about walking on the beach at the Poly after and asking. I've never been to GF so I don't know about these other little areas but if we were exploring and I found one I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Another suggestion...

Downtown Disney has a Character's in Flight balloon ride. I think it takes you up 400 ft in the air and it's relatively inexpensive. You could go up, just the two of you, then pop the question! :)

Another suggestion...

Downtown Disney has a Character's in Flight balloon ride. I think it takes you up 400 ft in the air and it's relatively inexpensive. You could go up, just the two of you, then pop the question! :)

This attraction was closed last month. There is no word on when it might reopen.

This attraction was closed last month. There is no word on when it might reopen.

That and I'm not good with heights. Reading back through this thread I seem like more of a shut in than I really am. I don't mind heights on heavily themed rides (read EE,Space,Rockin, and sometimes Tower - even Hulk and Dragons isn't too bad) but just an open aired roller coaster terrifies me. Especially Rip Ride Rockit... never again! Luckily I rode single rider and my family didn't get to see the video.

I've read so many good ideas but I have trouble making a decision. A little more OT, Narcoose's or Citricos. I'm very allergic to shellfish but I can go to seafood places and get a good filet so I don't really mind a seafood theme.

Back to OT, Disney is soooooo good with their allergy awareness it's scary. I made an off-hand comment at Ohana that I was allergic and they sent the chef over to explain the process for cleaning after the shrimp was made. From what I've read this is SOP at all Disney restaurants.

Just my two cents, but I'm not sure about the idea at 1900. It's very loud,lots of kids, bright, and the step sisters are very entertaining. They often take center stage if you know what I mean. Just not a very romantic setting. There are other restaurants at GF. Have you looked into those?

Unfortunately, I don't think the balloon ride is running anymore. I remember reading something about an accident elsewhere and until the cause is determined they shut down the ride. :confused3

If the castle is lit with the Xmas lights, finding a quiet spot around there would be nice.

I really liked your idea of a walk on the beach at the poly... Especially if you time it with the fireworks. How romantic :love:

Another idea would be the carriage ride at POR. You can get a hot chocolate or bring a bottle of wine or champagne with you. (when we did this in 2008, they let us bring adult drinks along with us). Maybe youcould get the driver to help you out somehow?

:cheer2: CONGRATULATIONS!!! :cheer2:
How exciting for you both! Best wishes and sending you some pixiedust:

For the proposal, I've gone back and forth. The night we do the GF is a night where the parks close "early" and I had thought about walking on the beach at the Poly after and asking. I've never been to GF so I don't know about these other little areas but if we were exploring and I found one I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I can't comment on your fear of restaurants. But if you do decide to go with a signature on the night of your proposal, you will have many, many more romantic options. Citricos at GF is a wonderful place- probably our favourite signature. There is a lovely verandah just off the waiting area outside the restaurant. The grounds are really nice too- but then I think the grounds of all of the mod and Deluxe resorts can be romantic at night. You could also walk over to the Poly after dinner (I think the sidewalk connecting the two resorts is still open, even with the GF construction). Sunset Pointe at the Poly is a very beautiful and private spot, with a view across the Lagoon to the MK. Our DD was married there a few years ago.

Why not CRT in the Castle? Strangely, this was the only must-do meal for my DH on our first trip and he's bummed that were not eating there on our next trip.

I've got another question now that I'm thinking about it:

My sister's fiance doesn't like Disney. Doesn't like board games (we tried to make him play buzz words and was miserable). On our trip in March he elected to stay home and work over "wasting" a week of work. She has talked him into going just for the half marathon and then staying one other day. We are planning CP but given this aversion to all things fun/kiddie should we consider something else a little more grown up?

Thanks!

PS, updated list of ressies:
Via Napoli
CP
Tusker House
Sci-Fi
Citricos

No offense, but he sounds like a real stick in the mud. I don't think I'd bend over backwards changing ADRs just for him unless your sister asks you to. Go and enjoy and try to ignore any bad vibes from him.

Good point, I told her what it was and the name and she looked at it and thought it was fine.

I did learn not to deal with all the food reservations until I can leave work for lunch... I was starving by the time I took lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter