Cricut Expression....is it a money saver in the end?

leagirl12

DIS Veteran
Just saw an infomercial for the Cricut and WOW I want one of these!!!

Anyone have one? Do you use it often?

I am thinking of how it could save me for buying cards and invitations. I also love the idea of words on the wall in my home. In fact I have a phrase on our living room wall....I would love to be able to create my own instead of being tied to what I can find in Hobby Lobby.

What can you tell me about this device?

It depends on how you handle it usually the best place to buy one is hallmark scrapbooking.com but they can be money pits. the cartridges are an addiction, if you can avoid the addiction and make do with one or two cartridges than it can pay for it self after a while, but you do have to buy replacement mats about 14 bucks for 2of them i would say i use one ever 5 or 6 major projects, blades last a long time so its pretty cheap to replace those. if you wait for sales you can get carts as cheap as 30 bucks which is very worth it but regular prices are crazy. also will you get design studio so you can more manipulate the items on the cartridges (thats another about 50 bucks) you use it on your computer or for 250 you can have a hand held device that will do the same as designe studio as well as "hold" all of your carts so you don't have to change them out when ever you want to cut something (i don't have this too much money imho). In the end i have probably spent at least 1000$ because i became a cart addict and then if you add in the amount of time (i have 15 ish cartridges) it takes to actually make a card.. minimum of 1 hour... well it gets to be expensive and time consuming if you scrap book too that helps but i find myself so short on time that i am still buying the jolees stickers in lue of making my own even for my disney scrap book despite haveing botht the mickey, winnie the pooh and even the pooh alpabet and princesses cartridges, oh my and i have cars too... cartridges are an addiction, avoid the addiction, get only what you will use lots (i suggest paperdoll people my absolute favorite and most use cartridge and i also like walk in my garden and doodle charms as they have the most use and the best font is oppsites attract because there are so many choices with it. Research it a great deal if you have a local scrapbooking store they can probably give you a demonstration (not joannes but a locally owned shop would be best). It is a really neet thing and i have made some beautiful crafts with it but it can get so expensive if your not careful.

I agree. I love my Cricut Expression that I just got for Christmas. You just have to be carefull about buying carts and stuff because it can add up fast. Just wait for sales, or find a friend who wants to share.

There are tons of things that you can do with it though. It's lots of fun! I just posted a thread with a few pics of a 100 day coundown calendar that I just did for my daughter. It's on the Disney for Families board if you want to check it out.

I agree. I love my Cricut Expression that I just got for Christmas. You just have to be carefull about buying carts and stuff because it can add up fast. Just wait for sales, or find a friend who wants to share.

There are tons of things that you can do with it though. It's lots of fun! I just posted a thread with a few pics of a 100 day coundown calendar that I just did for my daughter. It's on the Disney for Families board if you want to check it out.

can you link the thread I can't find it?
DOh I found it
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2374329
CUTE!

I have a personal cricut which I bought on sale at joannes for $99 and I bought all my carts on eBay including Mickey and friends Mickey font and princess all for $15-18 each brand new. eBay seems to always be cheapest for carts and I've never had any problems. Also, blades and matts are cheaper on eBay. I LOVE it and use it for all my cards and scrapbooking. I scrapbook a lot and stickers, especially Disney, can add up fast so this was the better option for me. It's simple to use and fun!

I have a few tricks to make the cutting mats last longer. In fact, I still have the original mat the expression came with and I purchased the expression in the summer of 2006.

First, purchase the mats from wal-mart, even 50 cents is a savings. Second, purchase the extra large mat (I think is it size 12x24) and cut it in half. Since it comes with 2 in the package, you end up with 4 mats in total. Third, purchase a can (like a spray paint can) of repositionable adhesive (I found mine at Michaels in the same aisle as the modge podge - about $4-$6/can and it lasts forever. I have had the same can for 2 years). Spray the mat when it starts to lose it's stick. And finally, if the mat starts to lose it's stick, wipe the mat down with a baby wipe. Allow it to dry and it will become sticky again.

Hope this helps someone!

You can also check OhMyCrafts and CustomCrops for deals on Cricut carts and mats.

I got the personal sized one last Christmas and LOVE it! If you can make a few cards a month and 'get ahead' you are sure to save some money there!

I went with a Pazzles Cutter instead of the Cricut. Initially, the investment is more, BUT I will never have to buy a cartridge again. It cuts anything on my computer screen - True Type fonts, dingbats, shapes, etc. This is great because there are thousands of free fonts out there to use. I bought a heavy duty one because I use it for school and work, as well as scrapbooking, but my friend has a personal one and it does a great job!

You might want to check it out at http://www.pazzles.com/inspiration.php. They start at about $599.

Just saw an infomercial for the Cricut and WOW I want one of these!!!

Anyone have one? Do you use it often?

I am thinking of how it could save me for buying cards and invitations. I also love the idea of words on the wall in my home. In fact I have a phrase on our living room wall....I would love to be able to create my own instead of being tied to what I can find in Hobby Lobby.

What can you tell me about this device?

For the words on your wall....look on ebay. I paid 15$ for a etching for my foyer. It looks amazing!

No it will not save you money.

The way to save money with cards is to buy paper on sale and use every little scrap. It is much cheaper to make a solid color card, crop a photo you have on hand for the front and hand write a poem/saying on the inside. Or cut up other old cards (kind of what they did during the Victorian era), or even use cute tags, buttons you already have...things around the house. That will only cost you the paper and the envelope. (I buy bulk envelopes at the office store.)

As soon as you buy any kind of device, sticker, embellishment you really are no longer saving money.

Even if the new gadget gets you making cards versus buying cards you still are not saving money since you can find very inexpensive cards at different stores. It really doesn't save time, as any craft project takes time. What it does do is make a very nice personal card, and you get the fun of crafting.

If you do decide to make cards start writing down any nice, funny, touching sayings you see. (From cards, online....) that makes it so much easier when it comes time to write the sentiment on the inside of your card.

It probably won't save you money, but it is very fun! And I have found that the more carts I have, the more I use it. Once I had about 2-3 shape carts and 3-4 different fonts, I found I used the Cricut on every lo that I made. I watch for sales (black friday at Micheal's is great!) and pick up carts when they are on sale. You can look for cricut videos on youtube and the MB at cricut.com is very helpful, too! try mypinkstamper.com for lots of fun ides!!

I love my Cricut, I have the "original" or "baby bug". I just don't need to cut anything larger than 6 x 12. I do have lots of carts, but the best accessory is Design Studio software...you can move things around, resize, etc on your computer screen, then plug the computer into the Cricut (usb) and cut to your hearts content. LOVE IT.
I use it all the time for Girl Scouts, Scrapping, Cards, DD uses it for school, Girl Scouts, etc. I'm not sure I'm saving money, but I know I'm having fun.
FYI the rumor is that a new machine may be introduced at the end of the month, you might want to wait a couple of weeks to purchase. You will likely be able to get the current version at a discount, or have the option of the new machine.

I am a HUGE card maker...I have both a Cricut and a Cuttlebug.

While I like the Cricut, and I do find uses for it...I LOVE, LOVE, LOVEmy cuttlebug

The cuttlebug takes any ordinary card and adds just enough "oomph" to it!!!
The cuttlebug does need embossing folders, but they are in the $3-5 range.

The cricut - I occasionally use for cards. And for an occasional sign. Bt that is it. I do like having it... but since LOVE the cuttlebug more.

Check out the cricut.com website. They've got a lot of great ideas, for both the cricut and the cuttlebug. Go to the message board.

Now - if you said you are doing tons of scrapbooking, my answer might be different...

hope this helps!

(btw - the cuttlebug is ~$40 on a good sale, like a Michael's 50% off coupon.)

i love my baby bug. ;)
I use it for everything...my scrapbook pages, cards, seasonal decorations for the house, kids school projects...possibilites are endless.
My biggest money saver in terms of my cricut...I invested in SCAL (sure cuts a lot)...never had to buy a cartridge again...although I do use my Mickey and Friends and Mickey Font a lot.

Keep in mind that some of the carts require a lot of paper pieceing, if this isn't something you have patience for, you might not be happy.

I love my Cricut for cutting, I use the Cuttlebug for embossing (mostly). I bought at Micheal's with a coupon.

I use my cricut almost daily. It is the primary source of DISigns for our T-shirts, when combined with another provo craft product the Yudu. We do not scrapbook (no matter how much we swear we are going to start) or make cards. we bought our machine 2+ years ago and love it.

Michael

Nope-definately won't save you money-but oh so fun! I do make my own cards using it & my cuttlebug. I do scrapbook layouts, cards, glass embossing, vinyl projects, etc. But-I have found that I don't save $-I just spend on more supplies & cartridges/embossing folders. The cricut msg boards is a good place to visit for more info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter