Crew's view of Baltic Cruise?

I don't think I would consider England, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany and even Russia to be third world countries.

Consider recent history. One of these countries attacked a bunch of the Eastern Block another one took them over. Now with the forming of the EU they allowed to go west for school and work and are not always welcome.

I know many people who are from and live in the Eastern block in several different countries. If they take a vacation they like to go to Croatia, with more money to Italy or Spain. Otherwise they stay in their own country for short trips.

Just back from the 07/18 cruise and we would go back in a heartbeat - we loved everything and all of the different ports

We wouldn't have had the fireworks if they were allowed, due to rain for our pirate night party to be moved inside

We also were on the July 18th cruise and had a fabulous time. Our CM all shared they enjoyed the ports too. We also heard that Disney was happy with the cruise and definitely plans to go back. So look for trips to the Baltic in 2012 or 2013.

Just to agree with all these posts -- my take was that the Baltics was an amazing cruise and that the CMs were very into it as well. Not sure where the OP got the information, but it doesn't mesh with our experience (on the 2nd Baltic) or, so far as I can tell from these posts, from others' experiences as well. The word is that the 4 cruises were really successful and that they will return -- 2012 at the earliest or 2013 but they will be back. For us it was an extraordinary 2 weeks, and we would highly recommend the cruise.

I heard the same info as the OP.

Some of the issues were this - many of the ports, everyone took off on excursions - more than in the Caribbean. So that meant fewer people on the ship so fewer people ordering drinks - less tips.

People were tired from so many excursions (which is a good thing for us) that they did not go to events and what-not in the evening - again, fewer tips.

The weather was often cooler (except St Pete!) so fewer people were out on the decks, again fewer tips.

So, the bartenders and servers took a financial hit.

I also think the itinerary was so tight they could not move much to avoid bad weather. The Pirate night for example on our cruise had to be moved inside at the last minute. Certainly less fun. In the Caribbean they have some flexibility to steer around rain at times.

So, I guess some CMs would like it and some would not, it would depend on who you talked to and what their job was. But I can understand their perspective.

We had a great time, just wished we had more warmer and sunnier weather. But we researched and anticipated it, so were not surprised.

Ken

Consider recent history. One of these countries attacked a bunch of the Eastern Block another one took them over. Now with the forming of the EU they allowed to go west for school and work and are not always welcome.

I know many people who are from and live in the Eastern block in several different countries. If they take a vacation they like to go to Croatia, with more money to Italy or Spain. Otherwise they stay in their own country for short trips.

I don't really understand this first sentence and what you are refering to. Also, those countries which are part of the EU can travel freely and work within the EU, with the same benefits of the people in that country.

Croatia isn't particularly cheap, or part of the EU.

When we were on the Magic in June it was on the Repo. and all the CM's we spoke to, were really excited to be doing the Baltics, most saying what a change it was and some of them were thrilled to be able to visit their families and they in turn would see the ship.

Kate

well I didn't go on the Baltic, but I'm sure there were some crew who liked in and some crew who didn't like it as much

I think skiiingfast is referring to Disney crew members from former eastern bloc countries and saying they wouldn't want to vacation in the Baltic ports. Not that I get the point, because they're working, not vacationing, when they visit them onboard the ships. Unless skiingfast is saying they don't want to be anywhere near those ports for historical reasons. Still not sure what that has to do with whether the ports are "fun" for the passengers.

If crew members didn't like the cruises because they didn't get tips on port days because people were out in the ports, not sure how that makes it so unsuccessful for Disney. It just means they didn't get tips. Too bad, but that's not anybody's fault.

Maybe Disney will prefer to go back to tropical ports. They didn't fill the Baltic cruises. Too expensive, and Disney's primary demographic doesn't seem to like port-intensive cruises with no beach stops. But it's my understanding they're perhaps considering revisiting the Baltics perhaps in 2012.

At least the crew members were professional enough not to complain about us Baltic cruisers, or the cruise we spend big money on, to our faces,

I think skiiingfast is referring to Disney crew members from former eastern bloc countries and saying they wouldn't want to vacation in the Baltic ports. Not that I get the point, because they're working, not vacationing, when they visit them onboard the ships. Unless skiingfast is saying they don't want to be anywhere near those ports for historical reasons. Still not sure what that has to do with whether the ports are "fun" for the passengers.

If crew members didn't like the cruises because they didn't get tips on port days because people were out in the ports, not sure how that makes it so unsuccessful for Disney. It just means they didn't get tips. Too bad, but that's not anybody's fault.

Maybe Disney will prefer to go back to tropical ports. They didn't fill the Baltic cruises. Too expensive, and Disney's primary demographic doesn't seem to like port-intensive cruises with no beach stops. But it's my understanding they're perhaps considering revisiting the Baltics perhaps in 2012.

At least the crew members were professional enough not to complain about us Baltic cruisers, or the cruise we spend big money on, to our faces,

I wonder if the other things that make money for Disney, like the profit on the drinks, was down too. I agree DCL won't make the decision based on what the crew liked or didn't, but that was the initial title and topic - "Crew's view.." DCL corporates may or may not be different!

Ken

We also were on the July 18th cruise and had a fabulous time. Our CM all shared they enjoyed the ports too. We also heard that Disney was happy with the cruise and definitely plans to go back. So look for trips to the Baltic in 2012 or 2013.

I sure hope they go back in 2012. We really want to do DLP/Baltics in 2012 and then the Fantasy in 2013.

This is so true. To come from the US to do the Baltics, is a seriously big trip and with flights for a familly, expensive, a unique experience maybe, but a big trip.

What I fail to understand is why Disney don't really market in the UK. I have no doubt they could add numbers if people in the UK new about DCL.

I have lost count the number of times we have said we are going, or are just off the Disney Ship and people just don't know it even exists in the UK! :confused3

If the crew didn't like the Baltic cruises due to all that darn sunshine, they'd better not transfer to the Wonder for next summer's Alaska cruises!

I was on a Baltic cruise in 2005, and it was one of the best trips of my life. I would cruise in Europe any day over another one to the Bahamas or the Caribbean.

I never heard any crew member say anything like that, except for the difficulty in getting used to the time changes and long daylight. I hope they go back. It was a fantastic cruise. And what kind of "fun" do people want in the ports?

Couldn't have cared less about no fireworks. When it's light outside at 11 PM you can't shoot off fireworks. I don't think they were allowed in the Baltic shipping lanes anyway. I can't believe someone would talk down the Baltic cruise over fireworks.

And I've never heard that a higher ratio of adults to kids results in more crabbiness and picky people.

I agree 100% that it was the best Disney Cruise yet for us and we have been on more than a few. I have no interest in Bahamas or Carribean any more, been there done that! And DCL made plenty of money on excursions in the Baltics and as for the crew, I heard no complaints about the itinerary. They may have made less money but they know that it is part of the job.

We were on the last Baltic cruise and had a wonderful time. All the CMs we talked with talked about the beautiful ports. Many said they were nicer than the Med ports, and I think I agree.

One bartender on Deck 9 told me on the middle sea day it was so cold and breezy he spent the day by himself out there. I'm sure that cuts into tips, but weather can be unpredictable anywhere.

Anyway, we loved it.
Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter